NHL'94 Forums

SENSIBLE SOCCER ONLINE.COM

LA Robbie

Hey People,

I have a pretty ambitious, but equally awesome idea for a website for my 2nd favourite Megadrive (Genesis) game of all time - Sensible Soccer!

Inspired by 94online.com I would love the idea of reviving this incredible soccer game to run online leagues just as we do with 94, but with the rom updated to include all the current Premier League (Thats Eeeeee Peeeeee Ellllllll for you American & Canadian guys) teams with current players and home and away kits (Uniforms) correctly coloured so as to run an online Premier League. Also doing the same for all the international teams so as to run World Cups, European Championships, Gold Cups and Copa Americas.

I think it would be absolutely awesome................only 1 problem. I don't have a clue how to do ANY of that stuff! It would need someone with knowledge of how to edit games (I'd be happy to learn from them too) and hack roms (I think Sensible Soccer is so fast it would be hard to play with a bad ping or a little lag, so would need slowing down a touch). Hell, I don't even know if the game works via netplay right now!!

Like I said, it's purely an idea, and one in it's infancy at that. If any guys with the skills, knowledge & the tools are at all interested in this let me know.

If you don't know the game download the attached rom. (It says zip file, but I assure you it's not, that's just how it was named & downloaded to the computer from the site I got it from & I never changed it. It's a bin file & will work on GENS) It's a simple 3 button formula, and very basic graphics, but man does it play well. So much more involving & deep that it first appears, or indeed should be. If you're not into soccer or don't know the game give it a chance. If you're a complete noob to it, it'll feel really strange at first & you'll struggle with the controls, but once you begin to get good they're so intuitive & feel just right.

Give it a go.

Sensible_Soccer.zip

I think me and orangeblack played that a while back on gens, I was more of an old school FIFA fan than sensible soccer fan but the game was fun all tho I got smoked. I kicked around the idea of doing a FIFA tourny when he told me I should do a sensible soccer one, guess he was right :P last year habs did a Bad News Baseball (NES) small tourny/lg on the forum - maybe try organizing a sensible soccer tourny on here and see how it goes

FIFA '94 was awesome...

Trust me, Sensible Soccer was at least a million times better than FIFA for anyone who knew anything about Soccer, or soccer games. It wasn't even a contest Sensible Soccer was so much better

Trust me, Sensible Soccer was at least a million times better than FIFA for anyone who knew anything about Soccer, or soccer games. It wasn't even a contest Sensible Soccer was so much better

This is a strong statement. I'm with Beavers on FIFA's awesomeness...you've convinced me to try this when I get home. ;)

Wow, okay. You're entitled to your opinion, but I find FIFA to be a more realistic and enjoyable game.

This is a strong statement. I'm with Beavers on FIFA's awesomeness...you've convinced me to try this when I get home. ;)

Trust me. FIFA always was, until the past couple of years, built on style over substance. I remember FIFA 94. It was the 1st 3d(ish) soccer game & looked way ahead of its time, but there was an exact way you had to play, and exact way to score the goals, and there was very little below the surface. You play it now & it's not a patch on modern soccer games. It's dated and it hasn't stood the test of time.

Sensible Soccer was the "NHL94" of old console soccer games. It had a gameplay all of it's own which is still a joy to play today. Soccer games now are so advanced, just like modern hockey games, but Sensible Soccer doesn't need to compete with them. It's stands on it's own as an awesome soccer game. It doesn't need all the bells & whistles that the modern games have, or indeed FIFA 94 had back in its day. It just has the gameplay, and, as we are all evidence of here, that stands the test of time...............otherwise we'd all have moved on from 94.

Sensible Soccer was ahead of it's time in that although there are set ways to score the goals, you can use any style to get there. You can play defensive, play a possession game, hit long passes up to the strikers or build from the back, use crosses from wide, and where you put you "star" players has a strategic effect on how your team plays. All FIFA 94s players are basically the same guy with the same control & abilities, but some are faster or have a harder shot maybe. In Sensible Soccer if you put 2 "star" players (You'll see what I mean when u play it on the top difficulty setting. On beginner they're all "Star" players) up front together you often find they'll not really work together, but one "regular" player with a star player will create a more cohesive unit. Difficult to explain, but you'll get it once you get good.

Sorry.............I just can't say enough good about this game! lol. Like 94, I can still play it now & enjoy it just as much, whereas I wouldn't touch any FIFA up until FIFA10 with a barge pole!

Wow, okay. You're entitled to your opinion, but I find FIFA to be a more realistic and enjoyable game.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nothing compares to the crowd in FIFA 94

Edited by kupuck19

supper soccer on the snes owns all old school soccer games

I'm pretty sure there must already a big Sensible Soccer hacking and league community out there.

Sensible World of Soccer (swos) especially.

Engage Google-fu

Also, isn't it Barklays Premiere League now? :P

http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/

Hahahahahahahaha. I swear I googled Sensible Soccer the last time this topic was mentioned a few months back! I found NOTHING!!!!!! I feel a bit stupid now. lol

My Blitz season is over, waiting for 2012 playoffs, so i'm gonna check this out. Hope it's good. Hoping they have updated rosters & graphics hacks there!

I'll keep you all informed!

Halifax, Choas, Evan (If he still exists?), you HAVE to check that site out. Really professional, really well presented, really stylish, selling t-shirts. Just really really cool.

Lots of ideas on there i'm sure could be used to develop 94.com

Having checked out www.sensiblesoccer.de it appears to be based on leagues played purely within 1 country: A german league, and Italian league, a Polish league................so there is scope for creating a USA/Canada/Mexico league.

I also saw no evidence of any modded roms, purely the original games from a number of different systems. Interestingly they have an Xbox 360 live league, as the game is available there.

So, feeling less stupid now, who would be interested in creating a North American Sensible Soccer league, with it's own website.............and who would be interested in getting into modding the game to create modern day rosters, correct uniforms etc.............or showing me how to?!! lol