NHL'94 Forums

NOSE preview screens posted...

wboy

I've just slapped together a few basic pages to preview some of the editing capabilites of the upcoming NOSE (NHL Old Skool Editor).

Initial support will be for Sega Genesis ROMS. Sega CD support to shortly (hopefully) follow, and possibly (and I do only mean possibly) SNES support.

I've stopped developing any more major features for the moment, and will heavily concentrate on doing the few last things I need to do before its initial public beta release!!! e.g. Minor bug fixes, release notes and basic instruction manual etc...

Without fail, the public beta will be released before the start of the new NHL season (Oct 5).

I'll post more details regarding some of the editors features in the next few days or so...

Doing all I can to release it asap.... atleast you now have the Oct 5 deadline to hold me to! :D

F'in awesome! I was going to start a thread impatiently requesting the status of NOSE and a release date, now I don't have to do that & look like an impatient prick.

btw, will the "bigger rosters" allow you to use more teams or just more players? I would assume it's just more players, but I wanted to be sure

Impatient pricks broke NOSE!.... WTF? sorry, but I had to have an attempt at that considerbly bad humor! :P

Yes, I know the wait has been long, but trust me it will be a quite feature rich initial beta release with many "no brainer" editing abilities.

For now, and possibly ever, the team numbers in the roms will remain the same, even with the extra free bytes I've been able to create.

In short, the extra free bytes are created by shifting particular data that lives after the original team roster data to the end of the rom, and changing referring offsets to stop the rom from crashing.

Even with all these extra bytes, there are still some limitations. 91 thru 95 don't seem to like more than 26 players (including goalies) per team. Having more stuffs up the stats tracking in game.

96 thru 98 seem to support upto 28 players with the way it stores player's default positions after the team name data. This may support increasing (say to 32?), and the engine may also support more players, but I just need to do a hack to test this which I haven't got around to yet.

So with these current limitations, the extra free bytes basically give you the ability to add more players to give all teams full rosters, and also cater for players with longer names than their predecessors.

While I did find all this out quite a while ago, it wasn't worth posting the find as its too hard to manage all the changes manually to make use of the bytes... and until I got the editor doing it seemlessly, I wasn't going to get everyone excited! :P

Admitted though, this is probably the one biggest, most practical feature of the editor IMO, as cool as you should find some of the other stuff in it... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thats funny, hex-editing withdrawl. I only hack Madden, so I won't be going through withdrawl anytime soon :D Though I can't wait to transfer the NHL'93 rosters onto NHL'92. I hate those NHL'93 goalies with a passion!

one more day! :D

quick question, does it support snes?

Maybe two, or three days at absolute worst... I am still doing my best to keep it to one though. It's 1:30am local time for me , and I really should be getting some sleep....

:D

No initial SNES support, and I won't be giving any timelines or promises for its full support just yet. More research too be done.... :huh: