NHL'94 Forums

"cheap" goals or just poor goaltending?

What do you guys think?

When I was growing up and playing 94 with my friends some phraseology that was perhaps all too common was, "so f**king cheap!" "what a cheap piece of s**t goal!" or something along those lines. This was usually out of frustration if anything else, because no one likes getting scored on, least of all on an annoying cut-across goal that you know you could have saved had you reacted just a moment quicker.

Those days were long ago and I've come a long way since then. Thankfully, the cut-across is not the only weapon in my arsenal, but it certainly still has its place. It was once cheap, but now it is just another way to score.

How do you guys feel about this? No reason to focus on just the cut-across goal. Any kind of goal for that matter. Is there any way that you would prefer not to score, fearing ridicule and accusations of being cheap? Or is it all fair game - Any way to score is acceptable and only reflects poorly on the defending team, whose cries of "cheap" are just a way of masking their own inadequate defense and goalie skills?

I for one believe that it's all good!

Sure, it might be a bit lame if someone only tries to score with the wrap-around/cut-across, but then it should quickly become easy to defend against such a tactic.

If every potential goal can be stopped then no goal can ever be cheap! (except maybe when a player gets an interference penalty and a goal at the same time..)

all goals count.....only exception is pausing mid game then unpausing to gain an advantage...(this only happened to me once however).

There are no cheap goals in SNES94. I have been known to score on crease-cutters but I also have had many scored on me.

"...least of all on an annoying cut-across goal that you know you could have saved had you reacted just a moment quicker." I agree with comment also. I am horrible with my goalie and most my goals I give up are because I react too slow.

Some people say that scoring the same way gets boring, whether its a crease cutter or not. Well, when they stop me from scoring a certain way then it challenges me to change my game. That's good for them because it takes me out of my normal game BUT it helps me because I learn new tactics.

i don't think it's cheap - kind of my last resort though... cheap is knocking the net off on purpose on a clear breakaway or pausing when the play is not dead . or scoring 7 goals with teemu...

LOL! Pond, not sure if this is referencing rc's scoring stats with Teemu in SDL, or the BOS vs. WPG battles between you and I where Teemu comes alive and can't be stopped...

:lol:

;)

Overall, I believe there are no cheap goals in '94. Cut-across goals are annoying, but defendable. Thus, I can't honestly say that they are cheap. However, I personally hate them both ways at the same time. Maybe it is out of slight fear that someone would consider me a cheap player by scoring semi-regularly with the cut-across, but I'd rather score in more typical/challenging/skilled ways that express strong passing, deking, and shooting, etc...That doesn't mean I'd never use the cut-across at all or consider anyone who uses them to be unskilled, but the cut-across will never be a major part of my strategy... :D

I only use the cut-across if someone draws first blood and uses it, then i'm gonna try it till I miss so they can get a taste of their own medicine. It's not so much the goal itself, it's when you don't get goalie control in time and you watch your dreams get crushed in slow-mo :lol:

No cheap goals in Snes at least. It just a way to score against an automatic goalie. You wouldnt call 'the move' cheap, or a one timer cheap. If a guy has time to cut across your net and beat your manual goalie, they deserve a goal, or at least you deserve to be scored on. Granted its not very creative, but when a guy is cheating a little bit to cover all the other ways to score you need to use it to keep em honest.