NHL'94 Forums

Official NHL '94 World Championship

beavers33

Looking at league results over the past couple of years, it’s very clear that Carse is probably the best NHL ’94 player in the world. That said, in the other major sports (since NHL ’94 is now considered one of the big five, along with Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey), you don’t crown a champion based on past results, which is why I propose an official NHL ‘94 World Championship.

In this championship, we could probably have a 32 or 64 player format, including qualifying rounds, pool play, and medal play. Sounds like a pretty sweet idea to me, but I want to gauge interest around the community to see if we could get people interested. If so, I would be willing to put it together. We could base it off of smoz’s IIHF-style rankings from leagues in the past few years and use that to start a list of players interested in competing or we could spread the word at other places like TBN, Facebook, Twitter, your grandmother's bible study group, etc. and have it be an actual NHL '94 World Championship, not just the NHL94.com World Championship.

Post in this thread if:

A. You’re interested.

B. You have anything useful to add.

I'm down, of course, but I doubt there would be many people willing to play online outside of the 94.com community. And let's face it, people who are not online already have NO chance against this community. Use Wookie's recent dominance at the live tourney in Philly as an example.

I'm just not sure how this becomes something other than a 94.com tourney.

One thought is to try and get some press or media buzz on the 20 year anniversary of the release of 94 in 2013. It's far enough that we have time to think about it.

I'm down, of course, but I doubt there would be many people willing to play online outside of the 94.com community. And let's face it, people who are not online already have NO chance against this community. Use Wookie's recent dominance at the live tourney in Philly as an example.

I'm just not sure how this becomes something other than a 94.com tourney.

One thought is to try and get some press or media buzz on the 20 year anniversary of the release of 94 in 2013. It's far enough that we have time to think about it.

i was think exactly the same thing. Except for the 20 year anniversary thing

It has to be a live tournament, for the 20 year anniversary, with sponsorship from EA & Sega perhaps. A huge event. This is the moment of truth. It needs someone to start taking the steps now (Cough.....Halifax....cough, cough) to get everything planned & arranged.

Prize money would be very cool, Snes & Gens tournys, a Snes vs GENS playoff between the champions of both systems & even a 2013 tourny using Clockwise's 2013 rom when it comes round. This could be a major, major event, with several tournaments/categories/brackets (A, B, C cups?) taking place over a whole weekend or 3 days. Just full on 94 for 3 days solid.

What a tribute to the game that would be!

After that an annual live tournament as the "World Championships" in a different city each year, to bring the members of the community together in real life. This could be awesome!

As KingRaph said, another online tourny just seems like another 94.com league to me. If you think about it whoever wins Classic A each year is basically World Champ, & then the draft leagues, 2012 league kind of come in as your backup events. Kinda like the Australian, US & French opens, but Classic is the "Wimbledon" that carries the most weight you may say.

Make it happen & let people start planning & preparing for it. Get a date, city & venue confirmed & i'll start saving my pesos now!

Let's try doing both.

A live world championship would be pretty cool, and if they can get 30 people in PHI on somewhat short notice, then surely a "world championship" tournament with a year's notice could get more. As for getting sponsors.. I worry that once money gets involved, so will EA's lawyers.

An online tournament would actually be more accurate in terms of "world" champion. However, the problem with an online tournament is time. Even a 3 round playoff tournament can take over a month.

It has to be a live tournament, for the 20 year anniversary, with sponsorship from EA & Sega perhaps. A huge event. This is the moment of truth. It needs someone to start taking the steps now (Cough.....Halifax....cough, cough) to get everything planned & arranged.

Prize money would be very cool, Snes & Gens tournys, a Snes vs GENS playoff between the champions of both systems & even a 2013 tourny using Clockwise's 2013 rom when it comes round. This could be a major, major event, with several tournaments/categories/brackets (A, B, C cups?) taking place over a whole weekend or 3 days. Just full on 94 for 3 days solid.

What a tribute to the game that would be!

Make it happen & let people start planning & preparing for it. Get a date, city & venue confirmed & i'll start saving my pesos now!

The problem with this is, people like me and I would venture to say most others, wouldn't be able to commit to traveling to a different city to play NHL '94. Firstly, there's significant cost to all involved. Secondly, scheduling for something like that would be incredibly difficult. Even if people were willing to put up the money to pay to travel, good luck getting the best together on the same weekend of the year. Thirdly, our wives, girlfriends, and bosses, would likely not allow that to happen, at least I know mine wouldn't.

I believe we can do this online and should, as it makes it much easier for everyone who is interested, particularly since our community spans accross the globe. I think we could spam enough of the internet to get anyone who would see themselves as a contender to play. This is what makes it a world championship, not an NHL94.com tournament. There's no doubt in my mind that most from this site will easily dispose of an outside contender in a matchup, but that's what makes this fun. We get to prove how awesome we are at this game as a collective group and give those who've always seen themselves as being "dominant players" against their friends a nice dose of reality :) I'm sure we could get Puckdaddy from Yahoo or someone else interested in this kind of stuff to get the word out. Who knows, maybe we could get John Buccigross to get the word out, via twitter or an online column. It wouldn't surprise me a bit, especially with the popularity of Clockwise's newer hacks.

You know I'm on this bud!

The problem with this is, people like me and I would venture to say most others, wouldn't be able to commit to traveling to a different city to play NHL '94. Firstly, there's significant cost to all involved. Secondly, scheduling for something like that would be incredibly difficult. Even if people were willing to put up the money to pay to travel, good luck getting the best together on the same weekend of the year. Thirdly, our wives, girlfriends, and bosses, would likely not allow that to happen, at least I know mine wouldn't.

If you had 18 months notice, & it was a 20 year anniversary event, with sponsorship from EA & Sega, and global gaming industry publicity...........I reckon you, and anyone else who thought themselves a serious 94 player, & committed member of the community would make the effort. I can say I definitely would, and, earning pesos in Mexico i'm pretty sure the cost factor, time factor, travel factor would be worse for me than anyone. Maybe guys in France or Scandinavia would have to travel further, but it probably wouldn't be such a financial hit to them with the probable strength of the Euro & average wages there.

If it was a major, major event.........which a "World Championships" should be, I think the interest & commitment would be there, as would the gaming industry sponsorship, interest & publicity.

If you had 18 months notice, & it was a 20 year anniversary event, with sponsorship from EA & Sega, and global gaming industry publicity...........I reckon you, and anyone else who thought themselves a serious 94 player, & committed member of the community would make the effort. I can say I definitely would, and, earning pesos in Mexico i'm pretty sure the cost factor, time factor, travel factor would be worse for me than anyone. Maybe guys in France or Scandinavia would have to travel further, but it probably wouldn't be such a financial hit to them with the probable strength of the Euro & average wages there.

If it was a major, major event.........which a "World Championships" should be, I think the interest & commitment would be there, as would the gaming industry sponsorship, interest & publicity.

if robbie is present, I will also be present ;)

Yes yes yes, if it's online, I'm in. If it's live, I'll travel anywhere in the continental US (maybe Chicago? Shouldn't be major travel for anyone not overseas).

Either way, I'm in.

Edited by PRoBob38

• 3 weeks later...

If it's live, I'll travel anywhere in the continental US (maybe Chicago? Shouldn't be major travel for anyone not overseas).

Haha. U know u Americans have a reputation for never wanting to travel out of your own country don't you?

Surely it has to be a big hockey town? 94 Stanley Cup winners were Montreal right? If EA & Sega could be persuaded to sponsor, surely they´d want it to be in a bankable, significant place?

Haha. U know u Americans have a reputation for never wanting to travel out of your own country don't you?

Yes, we do. I don't wanna leave the country for a video game tournament. Though Canada could work. I kinda like the idea of NYC since the Rangers won the Cup that year and it's a definite tourist attraction. Though I can assure everyone with concerns of cost that NYC is probably the worst city in North America to take a trip to lol

Edited by PRoBob38

Yes yes yes, if it's online, I'm in. If it's live, I'll travel anywhere in the continental US (maybe Chicago? Shouldn't be major travel for anyone not overseas).

Either way, I'm in.

Considering the fact that there's six of us from Pittsburgh here I think we could work something out.

Considering the fact that there's six of us from Pittsburgh here I think we could work something out.

who are the 6 buds?