NHL'94 Forums

CLASSIC "SURVIVOR" LEAGUE

kingraph

...Need MOAR '94?

...Gotta shake off some of that classic rust to get ready for the upcoming Spring Classic?

...Want to try different teams against different people?

Then sign up for this survivor league!

OVERVIEW

• 36 game regular season using the classic '94 ROM.
  • 2 divisions of 10 teams
  • Top 7 in each division make playoffs, with division winner getting 1st round bye.
  • "Survivor" style -- you have 18 teams to use 1 home and 1 away game
  • Poor man's website for logging scores and automatic standings update (see below)

REGISTRATION

Reply to this thread! There are no plans for an "A" and "B" league, so this will be open to everyone. The idea is to get some games in using different teams before the next classic season. If your opponent is a stronger player, try to use your best team available and hope he uses a weaker team. OR, go ahead and use a weak team and take the loss! Pick your strategy!

Currently Signed Up (forum name/aim)

01. kingraph/kingraph

02. LA Robbie/gretzkyonacold

03. IceStorm70/IceStormNHL94

04. CamKneely/Vocally Caged

05. Freydey/Freydey32

06. Josh/Whalersnhl

07. RedWingDevil/Iceguy94

08. da94wookiee/Kedzie92

09. mav/maverickz161@hotmail.com

10. dcicon5148/dcicon5148

11. beavers33/mcarthurbsu33

12. dan_lizhot/danlizhot2010

13. PRoBob38/probob38

14. JayLighter420/JayLighter420

15. minpind/minpind

16. eggink444/eggink444

17. kupuck19/kupucknhl94

18. smozoma/smozoma

19. Bo Knows NHL94/BoKnowsNHL94

20. Houli/Houly8

------------------(waiting list)---------------

21. Carse/snoboarder3211

22. Dragon/Pearate

23. flasox24/flasox24

RULES

Standard Classic League rules -- 5 min periods, no line changes, penalties on (except offsides).

18 teams will be chosen at random (excluding Anaheim, Florida, and Ottawa) at the start of the season and each coach will have 1 home and 1 away game to use with the 18 teams (36 games total).

You have to use all 18 home and away games for each team, and you can only use each team once.

Once you use a team, you can no longer use them again for the regular season. This is commonly referred as a "survivor" format.

Tracking of available teams will be done automatically (see below).

Away team chooses their team first, and the home team picks second. Home always has the final choice of their team.

POINTS/STANDINGS

2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. No points for OT loss.

Standings based on points, followed by GFA - GAA.

DNPs (if necessary) will be treated as 0-0 ties, but no points awarded.

SCHEDULE/PLAYOFFS

Checkpoints will be based on the average number of games played each week. If you're significantly below average, then you will be warned. Fall too far back and you may be replaced. Deadlines will be posted at some point during the season.

Playoffs

14 teams make the playoffs (7&7)

2 division winners get a bye week

Best of 7 series

Team selections reset at the start of playoffs, with 1 home and 1 away available for the same 18 teams selected in the regular season

Once you use a team, you can no longer use them again in the playoffs

Bye week teams gain an advantage in that they save using 4-7 teams

LOGGING SCORES

Let's say I played my first game with LA Robbie, I was the home team, and I used DAL and he used VAN. Final score was DAL 3 VAN 8.

Since I was home, I am responsible for inputting the score. First I click the link to get to the document (to be provided when season starts)

"A" I find and click on my coach sheet, KingRaph. You will also see your coach name displayed on the top.

Anything I need to input will be shaded green. I find my game against Robbie and click on my home team selection (B). Clicking the little arrow will bring up a list of my available home teams to use.

I choose DAL, then click on the cell to input my score of 3. I repeat the process for the away team (Choose VAN, 8).

input1.png

That's it!!!

You'll notice after you input the scores, the cells are no longer green. The records, stats, and standings will automatically be updated (may take up to 5 minutes to be updated on published website), and the list of available teams will also be updated. You see that I no longer have DAL available as a home team to use ( C )

input2.png

When Robbie looks at his screen, he will see the away game results and he will no longer have VAN to use as an away team. There is also an "opponent frequency" field which will track what teams your opponents use against you.

input3.png

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are all appreciated.

Please sign up even after 20 spots to get on the waiting list!!!

Edited by kingraph

Great job setting this up. Exactly what was needed to fill the gaps between Classics & serve as a great warm-up/preparation for the season.

My girlfriend is going to kill me but..........COUNT ME IN!

..............Can I have that 8-3 win now please!

me too

I need to shake off the funk I've been on for a while now. This could be the thing.

Awesome job Kingraph!

side note: Vocally caged told me he had the "Immunity Controller" and wants to know when the first tribal council is.

could we use classic weight fixed? We never done that before..

could we use classic weight fixed? We never done that before..

Only thing is I think part of Kingraph's plan was to use it as preparation for Spring & Fall Classics, so using the weight bug fix kind of defeats the object doesn't it?

If someone created a weightbug fix classic league I would be more than up for that though! I could use LA with Blake & McSorley dominant & Sandstrom able to stay on his feet!................Hrudey would still be a liability tho :(

Only thing is I think part of Kingraph's plan was to use it as preparation for Spring & Fall Classics, so using the weight bug fix kind of defeats the object doesn't it?

Exactly -- I was thinking of this as a lead up to Classic.

A weight-bug fixed classic league sounds like a great idea though. Maybe we can set that up after the regular Spring Classic? Standard or survival format works for me.

Wow, great response from you all! We got 16 registered in less than 24 hrs! Didn't expect that so quickly, so I will leave the registration open for a few days, at least through this weekend, to allow some more people to register if they are interested.

Depending on how many people sign up, I'll figure out a new schedule -- either multiple divisions/conferences, additional games, more team choices etc. -- don't know yet.

Looking forward to this!

I don't understand the randomly selected team thing. What is the point of it? Do we each get a different set of teams, or all the same?

Everyone starts with the same set of teams.

Since I only need 15 out of 26 teams (23 since I exclude Anaheim, Florida and Ottawa), I will pick the 15 at random. 11 teams won't be used.

15 assumes my original 16 team league, this may change depending on how many people sign up.

Exactly -- I was thinking of this as a lead up to Classic.

A weight-bug fixed classic league sounds like a great idea though. Maybe we can set that up after the regular Spring Classic? Standard or survival format works for me.

I'd like a standard weight bug fix classic league. Survival sounds like a nice twist for this pre-classic preparation tournament, cos obviously you dont know for sure what team you'll get for classic so this forces u to use a lot of teams & figure their lines & stuff. Without the focus on classic preparation survival league would seem a bit gimmicky to me. I like using a team & getting to know them through the season personally.

I'd like to see a weight bug classic with line changes, since all those big lumps are actually going to be useful now & guys you wouldn't use without line changes suddenly have a big part to play (Jimmy Carson at LA for example). If someone with the skills can put some work into making it save state compatible I think we're on a major, major winner!

I decided to change the format slightly from my original idea based on the number of responses.

* Two divisions of 10

* You play each person in your division 4 times, for a total of 36 games.

* 18 teams will be assigned, you can play 1 home and 1 away for a total of 36 (original was 15 teams, 30 games)

* 7 people make the playoffs in each division

* Division winner gets a bye

* Division champs meet each other in the Stanley Cup

I felt playing more games with a smaller group will increase the probability that we complete all the games. You only have to hook up with 9 guys for 4 games, instead of 15+ guys for 2.

Although I hope we won't have to, replacements are inevitable, and if I can't find anyone else, we can have people play in both divisions, only eligible for 1 playoff spot (ala Spring'11 classic B-1, B-2 style).

So, anyone who signs up after #20 will be #1 on waiting list.

League will probably start in a week or so.