NHL'94 Forums

Final standings predictions? (SNES)

The Deer

With most players having played a large chunk of their season, and with not much at ALL happening around the league lately, I thought I'd try and create some discussion and note the playoff races, races for division titles, and what the final standings (and playoff matchups, although that's looking a bit far ahead) might look like. This is just for generation of discussion, nothing more, so don't take any of this too seriously!!!

In the Adams, it's pretty clear that Montreal (24-2-1) is going to win the division and more than likely finish as the #1 seed in the East. Quebec (22-10-0) looks like a FAIRLY good bet to finish second, although they're going to have to hold off Boston (14-7-0), who have been playiing excellent since acquiring their new coach (14-4 with the new coach). Battling it out for fourth are Hartford (11-15-1), Buffalo (7-8-2-1), and Ottawa (8-13-0), but more importantly, those guys are all in the hunt for the final couple of playoff spots.

In the Patrick, it looks like the NY Rangers (23-5-1) will win the division and unless they catch Montreal (possible but only an outside chance), they'll be the #2 seed for the playoffs. Second in the division is a clear battle between Washington (14-9-1) and New Jersey (14-11-3), with those guys also around the range of fighting for home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Pittsburgh (8-18-0-3) probably won't make the playoffs, and I must say that based on my exhibitions with their coach, I'm surprised their record is so poor. Philly (1-16-0-4) and the Islanders (0-19-0-4) look to be pretty much out of the race.

The Norris might be the most interesting division. There's a dogfight for first place between Detroit (19-11-0), St. Louis (20-14-0), and Winnipeg (19-9-1), and with a very good new coach in McMarkis (no disrespect to Fatty at all, just I know how good McMarkis is), Chicago (10-9-2) might just have enough games left to join that first place race. Also don't count out Dallas (7-11-0-3), whose record might look like he's not really making too much noise, but he's also a good player who I'd be surprised not to see make something happen...... not sure how his record is four games below .500. Also haven't seen him around in forever!!! Anyhow if he starts playing again and plays to his potential, he could still make the playoffs. Toronto (9-28-0) is done.

Finally we have the Smythe, where it's looking pretty safe to say that Edmonton (25-13-0) will win the division.... whether or not they're seeded #1 for the playoffs remains to be seen. A fine race for second place should occur between Vancouver (19-17-1) and San Jose (17-14-0 despite an awful start, hats off to this guy on his improvement, and could be the playoff darkhorse in the West!!!). Los Angeles (14-19-0) and Calgary (11-18-1-1) can still make the playoffs but both (esp Calgary) are going to need to pull their socks up a bit. Anaheim (4-24-0) is all but done, which is too bad cuz their coach is a good player (play him when he's using Pittsburgh and you'll see), just #1 has a bad team and #2 by the time he joined the Ducks they were already screwed.

Anyhow, without further ado, predictions on final standings!!!!!!

EAST

1- Montreal

2- New York Rangers

3- Quebec

4- Boston

5- Washington

6- New Jersey

7- Buffalo

8- Hartford

WEST

1- Edmonton

2- Detroit

3- Chicago

4- St. Louis

5- Winnipeg

6- Vancouver

7- San Jose

8- Dallas

*Please note that the West standings are likely to be especially close, so those picks are really a crapshoot............ I expect there to be very little difference in points between say 2 and 7.

This would set up first round playoff series of:

Montreal-Hartford (I understand these two have a FINE rivalry, and they played one of the best games the league has seen this year, Montreal's epic comeback to win 6-5 and send Schwartzy on a bed-punching rampage).

NY Rangers-Buffalo

Quebec-New Jersey

Boston-Washington (I think this would be a VERY good series)

Edmonton-Dallas (like real-life Edmonton-Dallas series, this one would be a gooder)

Detroit-San Jose

Chicago-Vancouver (would be a very good one!!)

St. Louis-Winnipeg

Any thoughts?

With most players having played a large chunk of their season, and with not much at ALL happening around the league lately, I thought I'd try and create some discussion and note the playoff races, races for division titles, and what the final standings (and playoff matchups, although that's looking a bit far ahead) might look like. This is just for generation of discussion, nothing more, so don't take any of this too seriously!!!

In the Adams, it's pretty clear that Montreal (24-2-1) is going to win the division and more than likely finish as the #1 seed in the East. Quebec (22-10-0) looks like a FAIRLY good bet to finish second, although they're going to have to hold off Boston (14-7-0), who have been playiing excellent since acquiring their new coach (14-4 with the new coach). Battling it out for fourth are Hartford (11-15-1), Buffalo (7-8-2-1), and Ottawa (8-13-0), but more importantly, those guys are all in the hunt for the final couple of playoff spots.

In the Patrick, it looks like the NY Rangers (23-5-1) will win the division and unless they catch Montreal (possible but only an outside chance), they'll be the #2 seed for the playoffs. Second in the division is a clear battle between Washington (14-9-1) and New Jersey (14-11-3), with those guys also around the range of fighting for home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Pittsburgh (8-18-0-3) probably won't make the playoffs, and I must say that based on my exhibitions with their coach, I'm surprised their record is so poor. Philly (1-16-0-4) and the Islanders (0-19-0-4) look to be pretty much out of the race.

The Norris might be the most interesting division. There's a dogfight for first place between Detroit (19-11-0), St. Louis (20-14-0), and Winnipeg (19-9-1), and with a very good new coach in McMarkis (no disrespect to Fatty at all, just I know how good McMarkis is), Chicago (10-9-2) might just have enough games left to join that first place race. Also don't count out Dallas (7-11-0-3), whose record might look like he's not really making too much noise, but he's also a good player who I'd be surprised not to see make something happen...... not sure how his record is four games below .500. Also haven't seen him around in forever!!! Anyhow if he starts playing again and plays to his potential, he could still make the playoffs. Toronto (9-28-0) is done.

Finally we have the Smythe, where it's looking pretty safe to say that Edmonton (25-13-0) will win the division.... whether or not they're seeded #1 for the playoffs remains to be seen. A fine race for second place should occur between Vancouver (19-17-1) and San Jose (17-14-0 despite an awful start, hats off to this guy on his improvement, and could be the playoff darkhorse in the West!!!). Los Angeles (14-19-0) and Calgary (11-18-1-1) can still make the playoffs but both (esp Calgary) are going to need to pull their socks up a bit. Anaheim (4-24-0) is all but done, which is too bad cuz their coach is a good player (play him when he's using Pittsburgh and you'll see), just #1 has a bad team and #2 by the time he joined the Ducks they were already screwed.

Anyhow, without further ado, predictions on final standings!!!!!!

EAST

1- Montreal

2- New York Rangers

3- Quebec

4- Boston

5- Washington

6- New Jersey

7- Buffalo

8- Hartford

WEST

1- Edmonton

2- Detroit

3- Chicago

4- St. Louis

5- Winnipeg

6- Vancouver

7- San Jose

8- Dallas

*Please note that the West standings are likely to be especially close, so those picks are really a crapshoot............ I expect there to be very little difference in points between say 2 and 7.

This would set up first round playoff series of:

Montreal-Hartford (I understand these two have a FINE rivalry, and they played one of the best games the league has seen this year, Montreal's epic comeback to win 6-5 and send Schwartzy on a bed-punching rampage).

NY Rangers-Buffalo

Quebec-New Jersey

Boston-Washington (I think this would be a VERY good series)

Edmonton-Dallas (like real-life Edmonton-Dallas series, this one would be a gooder)

Detroit-San Jose

Chicago-Vancouver (would be a very good one!!)

St. Louis-Winnipeg

Any thoughts?

WOW great write up man and i like the rankings i think your basically right on and the west will be a very close spread...and yes shaka will be hard to catch ;) , our 2 game series is my only shot

Hey Deer,

Very nice predictions! Nice writeup as well, I appreciate your efforts to keep things alive here. It seems alot of guys have been caught up in schoolwork.. so hopefully we'll have things more active soon. I emailed several coaches who haven't been showing any interest in the league as of late (both Gens and SNES).

There could be new coaches if I don't get answers. I do want to remind everyone that games missed from month 1 deadline can still be played, as long as both coaches agree.

Keep playing!

-Evan

P.S. Everyone who has been registering for the league, I have your info and will contact you if we need replacements!

:dal_skater_hand_grab:

Those are my prediction!

In the East

Montreal

NYR

Boston

Quebec

Wash

New Jersey

Hartford

Ottawa

In the West

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Detroit

St Louis

Vancouver

San Jose

Chicago

L.A

Playoff predictions comming after the regular season :)