NHL'94 Forums

How to have defense ctrl on by default?

Stefan

22 B2 C6 9F can't be found at that location. Are you giving me the wrong offset, or are you telling me the wrong text?

F857C is where it's located. Should I edit it there??

Hope so.

Do we have the same rom?

FFB30 isn't "FF FF FF"

thats FFD30

Ah, I thought you had been using the previously posted hacks, which would have meant you were using a headerless ROM.

But it turns out you're using a ROM with a header (200(hex) bytes of useless data inserted at the start of the ROM).

So yes, for the addresses I supplied with an "@", add 200 to those locations in the hex editor, so at these locations instead:

@F857c

@FFD30

Let me know if it works in the playoffs and what not.. I only tried one regular season game.

• Thanks 1

s**t.

What's the difference between a headerless rom and a non headerless rom?

I have a program to remove headers.

Should I use it?

don't worry about it :) You were on the right track.

just go ahead and add in the hex codes, but use the newer address from my most recent message.

If you're curious about the header, then open up the ROM in a hex editor, and notice that it starts with 80 00 00 00 .... lots of 00s.. for 200(hex) bytes. it's just some additional data that someone at some time thought would be a good idea to add to ripped ROMs, but generally is pretty useless. you could actually delete that part yourself if you really wanted to, rather than use some tool. The ACTUAL rom data starts at address 200, with "01 00 00 01 00 00 19 80 00 19 80 00 4E 85 00 E5"

So here's the correct locations (for my rom?)

F857C replace "22 B2 C6 9F" with "20 30 FB EA"

FFD30 replace "FF FF FF ......" with "22 B2 C6 9F A9 01 00 8D 94 1C 8D 96 1C 60"

Yes, this is right for your ROM

from my experience attempting those hacks and the romhacking.net guy's last post, it seems like his hacks will never quite work. and/or I can't follow the instructions. I'm planning on trying his last advice and then switching to the Smoz plan. not sure why anybody would turn it off, but having it on at the start is pretty good. thanks!

from my experience attempting those hacks and the romhacking.net guy's last post, it seems like his hacks will never quite work. and/or I can't follow the instructions. I'm planning on trying his last advice and then switching to the Smoz plan. not sure why anybody would turn it off, but having it on at the start is pretty good. thanks!

I wouldn't bother with his hacks -- he is basing them just on the code trace that Stefan posted, so he is limited in what he can do. That's not a criticism of him / his abilities, he's just saving time and making the question-asker do some of the work (and learn how to do traces..).

Exactly what smozoma posted is correct.

If you have a rom with a header in it, use what I posted.

If you're not sure, search where he says it is, and do a string search for that code... It's either right where Smozoma says it is, or 3 lines down where I say it is.

This 100% works, no problems whatsoever, me and my friends used it, worked fine.

Thx.

Gotta figure out how to expand to 30 teams now!

Exactly what smozoma posted is correct.

If you have a rom with a header in it, use what I posted.

If you're not sure, search where he says it is, and do a string search for that code... It's either right where Smozoma says it is, or 3 lines down where I say it is.

This 100% works, no problems whatsoever, me and my friends used it, worked fine.

Thx.

Gotta figure out how to expand to 30 teams now!

good to hear there are no problems with it

functional! many thanks, Doctor Smoz.

• 8 years later...