NHL'94 Forums

SNES NHL '12 February update

Stefan

Here's my NHL 94 updated rom to TRADE DEADLINE DAY

In this update I've redone all team jersey colours (Credit to trudatman)

Defaulted defense control: ON

Added water bottles to top of net (With some help from trudatman)

Re-did team banners (Credit to trudatman)

Replaced Ron Barr with Don Cherry (He's a controversial Canadian icon who's sort of gone senile in his years)

Changed arena names

Changed overall ratings

Edited some text for personal preference (Changed aggression to discipline, changed Regular season to exhibition, and some other non necessary stuff)

Edited playoff seedings to reflect that of last years (Will update once playoffs come along this year)

Replaced old teams with current teams, replaced All Star teams with Nashville, and Phoenix

Edited starting menu slightly to reflect stanley cup participants as default teams

Updated rosters on all 28 teams to accurately reflect their overall performance over the last 2 years

Updated lines

Updated team advantages to accurately reflect how each team is performing up to date using a formula to divide the amount of teams by the amount of points per specific advantage, and allocated evenly.

Changed Regular Season overtimes from 5 minutes to 20 minutes (Ties suck)

Changed 20 minute periods to "Highlight mode" which is essentially a 1 second period... If used in playoffs, you can watch computer players "highlights" occasionally. Kind of a silly thing, but me and my buddies like playing drinking games for them. YOU COULD TOO!

I spent approximately 30-40 hours on this (been on short term disability from work), doing all my balancing by completing a team, opening the rom, checking players ratings, and adjusting accordingly to each specific players performance, as well as my own opinion.

I used this website: http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/playerindex.cgi to see player specific "Assets" and "Flaws", as well as up to date stats... and this website http://www.capgeek.com/depth_charts.php?team_id=22 for current rosters

Each player should be fairly accurate to how they are in real life based on that website, and my own opinion... I didn't just randomly choose their ratings for them. The website was comprehensive enough to get a good feel for how they actually play even if I wasn't too familiary with the player.

Next up I'll be adding a 2v2 rom...

If there's any ratings that you feel are unfair based on in game comparisons to other players, let me know... I feel I had the hardest time with defense ratings.

Some players might be rated lower because it's hard to be rated high as a defensive first player as there's only a few attributes in the game that are geared towards defense...

If there's any requests for the rom, I'm willing to consider and adjust...

ENJOY!!!

I added a rom for emulator, a rom for game doctor, and the team advantages chart for your viewing pleasure!

*Note. Some of the teams I first assembled might be a bit whacky as I made those teams in August... So if you see something off, please let me know. Thx.

nhl.rar

Edited by Stefan

sweet! I'm about to search for any posts about setting the overtime length. if there aren't any explanations, maybe you could add one. I only ever play five- and twenty-minute periods, so the removal of the twenty for a useless thing is disappointing, at best. I'm glad I could help you get to this point, but you don't need to credit me for anything. I could certainly use your help now that I have forgotten most things and you have kept it fresh. holler!

edit: yeah, you have to explain the changing of the overtime length to us!

wow! Marc Savard and Colby Cohen don't belong on the active Bruins roster. Chris Kelly at 46/100 is just plain wrong. rosters aren't easy (I'm only at EDM with mine), but yours aren't quite right/current/finished. some of the menu changes are confusing, too. maybe I just don't understand Canadan. I've never been to Canadia.

Edited by trudatman

sweet! I'm about to search for any posts about setting the overtime length. if there aren't any explanations, maybe you could add one. I only ever play five- and twenty-minute periods, so the removal of the twenty for a useless thing is disappointing, at best. I'm glad I could help you get to this point, but you don't need to credit me for anything. I could certainly use your help now that I have forgotten most things and you have kept it fresh. holler!

edit: yeah, you have to explain the changing of the overtime length to us!

wow! Marc Savard and Colby Cohen don't belong on the active Bruins roster. Chris Kelly at 46/100 is just plain wrong. rosters aren't easy (I'm only at EDM with mine), but yours aren't quite right/current/finished. some of the menu changes are confusing, too. maybe I just don't understand Canadan. I've never been to Canadia.

Yeah, Chris Kelly is having a good season.

I made Boston prior to the beginning of the season, I'll be sure to bump him up to a mid 60.

I'll move Savard to a reserve spot, until he's retired I see no reason why I'd remove him from the team.

Menu changes are confusing? Like what?

Oddly enough I found the data from a post you made in the mapping project thread (UNFORTUNATELY AFTER I WENT THROUGH EVERY SINGLE CODE IN THE HEX EDITOR THAT WAS 5 MINUTES!!!!)

F9D2E - Period Lengths (find/change menu text to match)

FC8A2 - Overtime....

Look for FC8A2 and just copy and paste what I put there from mine!

If you wanna change 20 minute periods back from my silly highlight mode it's pretty easy http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13341-change-overtime-length-make-it-continuous/ as reference.

I believe the code I changed B0 04 to is 00 10.

I will adjust chris kelly to a mid 60!

I take into account previous seasons, so one good/poor season doesn't warrant a rating that a consistent .5 point per game player might get (low 70's).

Thanks for the heads up :D

It's so much easier to understand one own's explanation than reading it. So if it wasn't detailed enough lemme know... I'll try to reiterate.

I'll make an update once I get a few more opinions on other teams, if anyone still checks these forums =\

Oh.

Wanna try a 1v1 sometime?

Edited by Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Chris Kelly is having a good season.

I made Boston prior to the beginning of the season, I'll be sure to bump him up to a mid 60.

I'll move Savard to a reserve spot, until he's retired I see no reason why I'd remove him from the team.

Menu changes are confusing? Like what?

Oddly enough I found the data from a post you made in the mapping project thread (UNFORTUNATELY AFTER I WENT THROUGH EVERY SINGLE CODE IN THE HEX EDITOR THAT WAS 5 MINUTES!!!!)

F9D2E - Period Lengths (find/change menu text to match)

FC8A2 - Overtime....

Look for FC8A2 and just copy and paste what I put there from mine!

If you wanna change 20 minute periods back from my silly highlight mode it's pretty easy http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13341-change-overtime-length-make-it-continuous/ as reference.

I believe the code I changed B0 04 to is 00 10.

I will adjust chris kelly to a mid 60!

I take into account previous seasons, so one good/poor season doesn't warrant a rating that a consistent .5 point per game player might get (low 70's).

Thanks for the heads up :D

It's so much easier to understand one own's explanation than reading it. So if it wasn't detailed enough lemme know... I'll try to reiterate.

I'll make an update once I get a few more opinions on other teams, if anyone still checks these forums =\

Oh.

Wanna try a 1v1 sometime?

Update:

One update before my year end update for trade deadline.

Added: Defense control on by default

Adjusted: A few players rankings (Chris Kelly, Henrik Lundqvist, maybe a few others, I forget)

Replaced players that have been sent down to waivers with players playing (Ty Conklin, Nittymaki)

Reflected teams to the current trades (Hal Gill, Dominic Moore, Grossman, etc etc.)

If I left any out, it's likely not worth adjusting.

Nice rom, I can't wait for the alternate version. Since I am from Minnesota I would like to use the Wild. Anyway I was playing NHL 12 and in the first game I was using Teemu and Anaheim. Some how my one-timers got a little messed up.

Edited by c4outlaws

Wow, that's strange.

Me and 3 of my buds get together for 2v2's on a weekly basis and we've never seen that happen before!

Hopefully the d control default on didn't do something to that...

Anyways, good to hear you're from Minnesota, gives me extra incentive to actually make the team now. I'll be sure to have it done on, or the day after trade deadline day.

Be sure to check back, and give me some pointers for the Mild, er, Wild ;)!

A noob here. Is there a way to play a full 82 game season? I only see exhibition, playoffs, 1G playoffs, etc...

Thanks for the ROM. You did a great job.

NHL 94 did not have a season mode. That was introduced in NHL95.

A noob here. Is there a way to play a full 82 game season? I only see exhibition, playoffs, 1G playoffs, etc...

Thanks for the ROM. You did a great job.

As smozoma said... The game is about as basic as it gets... It's the gameplay that's solid!

More of a multiplayer game than single. Sorry dude.

But let me know what your favourite team is and if there's any obvious inaccuracies in player ratings :-)

But let me know what your favourite team is and if there's any obvious inaccuracies in player ratings :-)

I should take a look at this for the Leafs..

Does Grabovski have good Defensive Awareness in this ROM? He's good, excellent back-checker!

No.

I went by this:

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?4874

They say otherwise, so I went with the scouts!

Those scouting statements were perfectly accurate 3 years ago, when I used to hate Grabovski, but he's so so much better now.

Ah. I'll make an adjustment, but one seasons performance doesn't warrant anything too crazy!

Coming on 2 seasons now, actually! Deserves at least a 4/6 in defensive awareness.

Led/leads the team in plus minus the past 2 years

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000382011.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=38

He's also led them in Corsi rating the past 2 years (this is like +/- per game for shots at the net (including blocked and missed))

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&f1=2010_s&f2=5v5&f5=TOR&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&f1=2011_s&f2=5v5&f5=TOR&f7=5-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

He's seriously good! They put him on vs Malkin when they play the Penguins.

• 1 month later...

first post. attached file.

nope.

Hey newbie here, first off just wanted to say I love the rom. I've been wanting something like this for years and just stumbled onto this place. I think it's awesome that there are people that make this possible.

Just was wondering if there was a way to make the playoffs set teams up randomly like in the original version instead of having a static setup of the '11 playoffs.

• 2 months later...

you don't need to credit me for anything, ever, but you should huge up Smoz for that defense-control-defaulting-to-on hack. that thing is sweet.

oh, and you should use the checksum fix program, too.

Edited by trudatman