NHL'94 Forums

Finding pallettes - new mod

Morning everyone, long time no speak!

I'm painfully close to finishing off an English national league mod for 94, and need a bit of help in finding a couple of things in tile molester; any help would be much appreciated. I believe I'm using an edited version of the 30 team rom.

-colour pallettes for the menu team logos.

-location of, and pallettes for 'home & away' name bars (shown on the in game pause menu)

-location of, and pallettes for the Stanley cup sprite

-location of, and pallettes for the zamboni

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Rob.

Morning everyone, long time no speak!

I'm painfully close to finishing off an English national league mod for 94, and need a bit of help in finding a couple of things in tile molester; any help would be much appreciated. I believe I'm using an edited version of the 30 team rom.

-colour pallettes for the menu team logos.

-location of, and pallettes for 'home & away' name bars (shown on the in game pause menu)

-location of, and pallettes for the Stanley cup sprite

-location of, and pallettes for the zamboni

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Rob.

Hey, check the 'graphics' section of this thread: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8090-gens-editing-the-game-thread-guide-newbs-start-here/

these ones have the logos and name bars:

Tile Molester graphics offset bookmarks - (Nov 25 2005) - wboy

Tile Molester graphics offsets reference - (Jan 21 2007) - wboy

Hey, check the 'graphics' section of this thread: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8090-gens-editing-the-game-thread-guide-newbs-start-here/

these ones have the logos and name bars:

Tile Molester graphics offset bookmarks - (Nov 25 2005) - wboy

Tile Molester graphics offsets reference - (Jan 21 2007) - wboy

The hex addicts references links are broken, hence my dilemma.

If you're still looking for a way to change your palettes you could always use HivePal. Its a small utility that allows you to explore the entire contents of a rom for palettes.

What you want to do is use tile molester to look at the graphics you plan to change and look at the offset to see roughly where in the rom the image is located.

Then open HivePal and try loading the palette of that offset. It's rarely correct, but its always close, you can then click brows rom and it will stay in that area. Look for long connected blocks of colour, those will be your palettes. Click on the first color of the palette and find out its offset. Enter that in the main window and it will load your palette for editing.

If your unsure if you have found the correct palette, you can load the same palette into tile molester from a save state. Select the palette for the image your looking for, and compare it to the palette in HivePal. If they match, you probably have the right one. After that you should be fine!

You can get HivePal here:

http://segaretro.org/HivePal

I keep getting an "I/O Error 103" when I try to load any of the NHL roms (.bin) files I have. I'm also editing a NHL '96 Genesis ROM and need help finding the correct palettes for some of the graphics. I've done the home/away uniforms & ice logo thanks to the guide posted in this forum, but how do I find a specific palette and it's size for another section I'd like to edit? Is there somewhere in one of the game/graphics editors (NOSE, EARE, Hex Addict, Tile Molester, Tile Layer Pro) that tells you the decimal value of the palette you need?

I.E. I'm editing Chicago's main menu select team graphic with an offset of 00153162. The codec is 4bpp linear, & importing a palette I have set to is 9bpp BGR Genesis format, and Byte Order is Motorola. I've been stuck for a few days, newly addicted to hacking a game I enjoy, but after picking up everything on the go I have met my match. Any help is greatly appreciated, and a huge thank you for the posted directions in editing the game. I wouldn't have come this far without your guys help.

Your getting I/O Error when you trie to load you NHL Roms into HivePal? Odd, though I know the program is a bit buggy. You could try renaming the files to .smd and see if that gives you better results (or find copies already in .smd format. Also, what version of windows are you running it on? I'm running it using Windows XP compatibility mode, which is generally pretty solid.

Also, if your in Tilemolester, if you look at the bottom of your window you will see an offset value. That will be for whatever tile is in the top left corner. This will almost never have palette information in it, but its always close by and will give you a jumping off point for your hex editor.

As for your 96 edit, try looking at the tiles right after the graphics. This tends to be where the palette information is stored (at least in 97, and they use the same engine).

post-4393-066531400 1329435195_thumb.pngpost-4393-062929100 1329436694_thumb.png

Hope this helps!