NHL'94 Forums

Survivor Season 01 Team Results

kingraph

<p>This is the aggregated team results from both divisions, updates regularly.

</p>

<iframe width='800' height='500' frameborder='0' src='https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AsGAzpWFo9T7dDFjQkUxcFpuUXI2YnNieVhoaElJaGc&single=true&gid=3&output=html&widget=true'></iframe>

Edited by kingraph

im surprise to see Mtl, Det and Buf in the 14th, 16th and 18th position

I somehow lost with DET vs EDM..

I think once the schedule gets closer to the end, we'll see things line up more with expectations. However, there will also be oddities caused by the matchups people take.. maybe lots of people counter DET with CHI and win..

All depends on strategy, so these team results reflect how they're used more than strength of team. If you're using DET against a strong player you may well lose. Use TB against a weaker player & you have a better chance of winning with them. I'd suggest there's more use of the strong teams against good players, so they have average records, whilst the weaker teams like TB & NYI are being used against the weaker players, so they have good records. It's fun to look at, but Classic results are really all you can look at to gauge the strength of the different teams, which KingRaph has already done of course

Both sets of data has its pros and cons. With classic, one player is responsible for 40 games or so per team. The good thing is classic somewhat groups players by skill level (A/B/C), and we have multiple seasons so the individual player factor is reduced.

With survivor each team will have played 40 games with 20 different coaches (assuming a full season), but matchups are not random. At the end, all coaches would have played each other, so I would think that factor would even out after the full season.

• 2 weeks later...

After 197 GP - Home ice advantage, again, apparent as home teams are 105-92.

This has always intrigued me since finding out that HIA actually exists. What exactly does the AI do to cause home teams to win? Maybe it's a combination of both teams AI -- the away team AI starts acting funny (i.e. players moving away from pucks, passes incomplete/awry, can't check a feather, gets in the way of your own guys, unable to switch to the player you want, missed one-timer execution, etc.), while the home team players seem to be in the right spots, and all of your passes and one-timers go where you want them.

After you've played enough games, you KNOW when the game is set up against you and/or everything you do happens to work. I wish we were able to identify this "trigger" (if such a thing exists), and have the option to nullify it, essentially removing HIA and playing each game equally.

After 197 GP - Home ice advantage, again, apparent as home teams are 105-92.

This has always intrigued me since finding out that HIA actually exists. What exactly does the AI do to cause home teams to win? Maybe it's a combination of both teams AI -- the away team AI starts acting funny (i.e. players moving away from pucks, passes incomplete/awry, can't check a feather, gets in the way of your own guys, unable to switch to the player you want, missed one-timer execution, etc.), while the home team players seem to be in the right spots, and all of your passes and one-timers go where you want them.

After you've played enough games, you KNOW when the game is set up against you and/or everything you do happens to work. I wish we were able to identify this "trigger" (if such a thing exists), and have the option to nullify it, essentially removing HIA and playing each game equally.

Players get small bonuses to some of their ratings depending on home/away/pp/pk advantages.

I forget the specifics.. I think if the team has a better PP rating than the other team's PK rating, they get a bonus to their shot accuracy.. If you're the away team and you're good away, you get higher aggression.. odd stuff like that.

Players get small bonuses to some of their ratings depending on home/away/pp/pk advantages.

I forget the specifics.. I think if the team has a better PP rating than the other team's PK rating, they get a bonus to their shot accuracy.. If you're the away team and you're good away, you get higher aggression.. odd stuff like that.

Fascinating that those odd bonuses are enough to cause a noticeable shift (statistically proven in classic, blitz, and survivor) in wins to the home team.

I've always felt one advantage to HOI has nothing to do with stats. I just like shooting on the net up-screen as opposed to shooting down-screen. Is it possible to break down Blitz stats and see home and away scoring by period?

technically possible... but i have no not programmed it into the site

I just like shooting on the net up-screen as opposed to shooting down-screen.

Funny, I like the opposite, shooting down. I wonder what the preference mix is in the community? (future poll foreshadowing)

It would be interesting to see if I score more goals shooting down vs. up (and vice-versa for you).

An ace like you could probably write that code in 2 minutes, right?

well.. i could generate the data quickly.. but i'd have to fit it into the site somehow, maybe a home/away toggle. so it ends up taking time to do it right.

Top 3 Teams

1 Tampa Bay

2 Philadelphia Flyers

3 New York Islanders

vs

Bottom 3 Teams

16 Detroit

17 Vancouver

18 Buffalo

Kinda funny three teams rarely chosen in a classic season are having far better results than 3 teams that constantly consist of most people's #1 choice for a team which are having the worst results

Top 3 Teams

1 Tampa Bay

2 Philadelphia Flyers

3 New York Islanders

vs

Bottom 3 Teams

16 Detroit

17 Vancouver

18 Buffalo

Kinda funny three teams rarely chosen in a classic season are having far better results than 3 teams that constantly consist of most people's #1 choice for a team which are having the worst results

Having thought about this a little more, it starts to make sense that the survivor league would cause this reverse result. It seems like the prevailing strategy is selecting weaker teams against weaker opponents, and strong teams against stronger opponents.

Look at the most frequent opponents chosen and record in the East Division for the top and bottom guys in standings:

Josh (1-30)

TB: 7-0

SJ: 5-1

NYI: 6-0

KingRaph (27-7)

MON: 1-4

BUF: 1-3

I think you'll find similar situations in the West...gonna see if this theory holds up.

I've always felt one advantage to HOI has nothing to do with stats. I just like shooting on the net up-screen as opposed to shooting down-screen.

You may have something here -- looks like the majority of people prefer shooting up vs down (16-5 as of today)

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/4570-do-you-do-better-going-up-or-down/

I've always felt one advantage to HOI has nothing to do with stats. I just like shooting on the net up-screen as opposed to shooting down-screen. Is it possible to break down Blitz stats and see home and away scoring by period?

Players do get bonuses depending on the relative home/away advantages of the 2 teams involved. same for pk/pp strength. I think the swing can be up to half a rating point (out of the 0-6 ratings). one of the ones I remember is PP/PK affects shooting accuracy during the powerplay.

I'll have to write up a comprehensive report eventually :P