NHL'94 Forums

Red Wings Approaching Historic Run

PRoBob38

Detroit beat Philly tonight, and has now won 20 straight at home. No team has ever won 21 in a row, can the Wings do it? They play Dallas Tuesday with a chance to make history. Granted, the additions of OT and the shootout may take away some the luster that the previous streaks have, but there's also more parity in the league now and 20 in a row is simply insane. As a Pens fan who hates the Red Wings, I will be pulling for them on Tuesday.

Detroit beat Philly tonight, and has now won 20 straight at home. No team has ever won 21 in a row, can the Wings do it? They play Dallas Tuesday with a chance to make history. Granted, the additions of OT and the shootout may take away some the luster that the previous streaks have, but there's also more parity in the league now and 20 in a row is simply insane. As a Pens fan who hates the Red Wings, I will be pulling for them on Tuesday.

This is a good point, about the shootout. That's why I wasn't happy about Brodeur's beating of Roy's wins record when he's had a few seasons with shootouts, which can give a goalie 5-10 extra wins per year. He probably has the real record by now (regulation+OT wins), but I think it's an important difference. Same thing when counting the number of 40-win seasons for goalies...

I disagree that the shoot out deflates this streak in any way. They still have to win the game. The other team has just as much of a chance in the shoot out. The parity in the league today makes it a lot tougher to get such a streak. So thumbs up to the wings(even though they are my nemesis)....22 and counting!

there is also the fact that it comes down to goal skills, so it isn't like the guy can just suck at netminding and win most of his shootouts....

with no failing (<60) grades, I have BOS and VAN at 90, overall, and DET highest at 95. they don't suck right now.

I disagree that the shoot out deflates this streak in any way. They still have to win the game. The other team has just as much of a chance in the shoot out. The parity in the league today makes it a lot tougher to get such a streak. So thumbs up to the wings(even though they are my nemesis)....22 and counting!

They had 3 shootout wins on their streak. Under the old rules, those would be ties, so it doesn't matter who had the chance to win.

But yeah with the salary cap and current parity, it is hard to achieve that kind of a streak (which even the 70's Canadiens couldn't do with their ~10 loss and ~10 ties per season)