NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2012 (97)

TheTome

This is not really an update, it's a ROM. Designed to work on the Sega Genesis. But if you want to play it on your PC you just need to open it with an emulator like Kega Fusion. Google them, they're out there and very easy to use.

Edited by TheTome

• 1 month later...

Where has this been all my life? NHL 94 is a classic, but NHL 97 was the game I grew up playing. I'd rush home after school every day to get in a few games with the Legion of Doom, and now I can beat up on the Pens with Giroux and Jagr. Thank you so much for this, you have made my day!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the single greatest thing i have seen on the Internet in probably years!

I might freak some of you out a little, but i've been not only playing NHL 98 and the original NHL Hockey since they both came out, but i've been KEEPING STATS in a notebook (and more recently in Excel) the entire time, playing entire seasons + playoffs in exhibition mode with BOTH controllers, controlling both teams. I've finished 12 seasons in that time, and am currently in the Conference semi-finals in season 13 (Anaheim/LA, Colorado/Phoenix, Pittsburgh/Boston, and Florida/Washington, if you're interested!)

If you're not frightened yet, then i'll tell you that i was 8 years old when i started doing this! Not every day of course, or else i'd probably be in season 50!

I had already set up my season 14 "regular season" schedule, but i clearly need to ditch it completely just to play it on this rom! Amazing work!

Edited by Chas

Really enjoying the rom. My only issue is that every player has virtually the same rating. There's no real distinction between the "star" players and the "good" players. I don't know if this was deliberate or not.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll consider doing an update at some point, but I'm in school at the moment and my schedule is absolutely insane. It'll be late February if at all. If anyone else want's to grab it and give it a once over though they are more than welcome. Should just be able to copy the rosters from a recent NHL 94 rom and update Dallas' logo and you're there!

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy this NHL12 ('97) rom! It's nice to see things other than NHL 94 being updated. I also like it that the teams are more balanced. It feels more realistic that the star players aren't gods, but only slightly better than the other players.

Thanks for making this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Tried this and it's an awesome hack. I got couple of questions.

• New Rink (Based off NHL 94 Rink)
  • Did you do this in NOSE or you had to use Tile Layer Pro/Tile Molester?
  • AI Boosted
  • How did you do this? What did you change in HexEd?
  • 7 Minute Periods
  • Offset please. Or it was changed in NOSE?
  • Fatigue/Recovery Rates Increased
  • Is this some kind of hex hack or simple attributes editing in NOSE?
  • Player stopping and Turning speeds adjusted to be more Realistic
  • Same question, was this done just by making players slower in NOSE or did it require hex editing?
  • All 30 Teams now work in Playoffs (Thanks Smozoma)
  • What was altered/added in the code please?
Edited by DominikJagr

• 4 months later...

This is the single greatest thing i have seen on the Internet in probably years!

I might freak some of you out a little, but i've been not only playing NHL 98 and the original NHL Hockey since they both came out, but i've been KEEPING STATS in a notebook (and more recently in Excel) the entire time, playing entire seasons + playoffs in exhibition mode with BOTH controllers, controlling both teams. I've finished 12 seasons in that time, and am currently in the Conference semi-finals in season 13 (Anaheim/LA, Colorado/Phoenix, Pittsburgh/Boston, and Florida/Washington, if you're interested!)

If you're not frightened yet, then i'll tell you that i was 8 years old when i started doing this! Not every day of course, or else i'd probably be in season 50!

I had already set up my season 14 "regular season" schedule, but i clearly need to ditch it completely just to play it on this rom! Amazing work!

Anaheim beat Washington in the finals, by the way. Came back from 3-1 down to win it in 7.

And here are the Season 14 final standings. I played a 36 game season and gave 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw (no shootouts). Teams play their own division twice, and everyone else once. The Western Conference plays one additional "random draw" game to get to 36. Buffalo managed to get through the entire season without a tie!

post-7326-0-38395100-1432073565_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Honestly not sure how I'd go about adding a 31st team to this ROM, and unfortunately most of my notes are lost.  I might pick it up again someday, but if I get back to work on Genesis hacks my first goal will be to find ways to replace shootouts in NHL94 with a different scenario (maybe first to 5 goals, no time limit).  However you're more then welcome to take up the mantle and update the ROM yourself.  It still works perfectly with NOSE so the rosters at least are pretty simple. BuffaloCG did the original, I did the updated features and graphics, Slapshot67 did most of the roster data.  All in all this is becoming a bit of a community made mod, and it would be neat to see someone new take on the project for a term and give it new life!  

if anything the 97 all stars could be replaced with Las Vegas, only available spot i saw, unless someone knows how to add extra teams, i don't know how to do the graphics or I'd try to replace the 97 stars myself

Edited by waynehigh

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:51 AM, waynehigh said:

Took this to a friends house and put it on his WII, and we recently noticed the transactions menu has completely disappeared, any thoughts?

That's so weird.  How does that even happen?  Well  might be the emulator or the console, likely the emulator.  Not the biggest nerd here, so I can't guarantee.

• 5 years later...
4 hours ago, Eric5150 said:

I'm trying to edit the genesis nhl97 rom now to the 2023-2024 season. I have NOME but it is not saving anything when I load the saved rom. How did you edit it?

Eric

Hi can you clarify? "but it is not saving anything when I load the saved rom" 

Are you saying that when you load the ROM, the changes are not there?

Can you verify that you aren't saving in a different location, and loading the original ROM?

Also don't use "reset" in your emulator, since in some emulators that doesn't re-read the file, so changes won't be detected. You need to close the ROM and open it again.