NHL'94 Forums

Fighting?

Stefan

So, from what I understand EA was going to have fighting in NHL 94 but angry moms got all angry about their 12 year old sons witnessing 16 bit graphics beat eachother up.

If you search for "Fighting" you see Fighting, and Fight Instigator ...

So was fighting programmed, and disabled for the final version of the game? or was this code taken from NHL 93 and they never took out some parts of it, or what?

Is there any way to ever find out? :o

from what I understand, the fighting graphics aren't in the ROM, so it's probably hopeless

EDIT: oh, but that's the Genesis version. for the SNES version, I have no idea. My guess is they never programmed it.

This isn't something that can be extracted from '93 or an earlier ROM?

For SNES 93->94, no, because 94's code is not based on 93's, it's pretty much a complete re-write (thankfully, because SNES 93 was a travesty).

For Genesis 93->94, you're welcome to try it ;). So you copy the graphics from one ROM to the other.. then what? You have to figure out where the fighting code is (assuming it's in there), and how to enable it, and then how to point the code to the imported graphics.. it's hard!

They must have taken some of the same code, or programmed it, and had to permanently disable the feature while not cleaning it up from the rom...

Why would the text "Fighting" and "Fight instigator" be there?

They musta left some code.

but I guess none of us are good enough to find that out =(

Some awesome movie nods in this thread!

To whoever takes up the challenge of putting fighting into NHL94:

"I just want to say, good luck. We're all counting on you"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXIAVHTiqM02nj0bQM5M_8o_H91zaqLt0FQvjAXnHD0qo5Td79

On a serious note, I believe I started a similar thread a year or so back & it was suggested it would easier & more realistic to put one-timers into 93, and from there you could edit players & logos & uniforms for whatever year you liked.

These things are hard because you have to add new code, which requires understanding the existing code, which is tough.

Realistic hacks are along the lines of data/values. Changing something is often not too hard. Adding something new is really hard. Think of the difference between changing a light fixture or painting a wall or changing the carpets, vs adding a new room to the house.

These things are hard because you have to add new code, which requires understanding the existing code, which is tough.

Realistic hacks are along the lines of data/values. Changing something is often not too hard. Adding something new is really hard. Think of the difference between changing a light fixture or painting a wall or changing the carpets, vs adding a new room to the house.

You just need to find a good builder!

You just need to find a good builder!

who works many many hours for free, can find all the supports, not break anything important (wiring and whatnot) while breaking down that wall, connect up new supports to the old ones, reconnect the wiring... so you can have a room attached out the side of the 2nd storey of the house :D

who works many many hours for free, can find all the supports, not break anything important (wiring and whatnot) while breaking down that wall, connect up new supports to the old ones, reconnect the wiring... so you can have a room attached out the side of the 2nd storey of the house :D

Let me know if you ever find this superstar, I could really use him! :lol:

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, YoshiNoDis said:

You all just needed to wait for NHL 16 and the solid remake they made for the 20th anniversary of 94. Or pre-ordered NHL 21 and get the newer remake of 94. It paid to wait a few years...

Anniversary mode in NHL14 wasn't really 94, though... It was '14 with star indicators.

NHL94 Rewind doesn't have fighting. It's cool (it's the real '94 engine!), but there's no fighting. It also doesn't have built-in netplay which in my view makes it kind of pointless in the end (although EA says they might add netplay if they consider there to be enough demand!)

If you've got Rewind on the PS4, join the Community called "King of 94" to play some people online on there.

Surprised that no one mentioned to the original poster that the lack of fighting in '94 had nothing to do with angry moms, [who seemed to have no problem with buying their kids Mortal Kombat back in the day] but it was the NHL who leveraged their support on presenting a "cleaner image" of their league.

Although I'm curious if it is possible to figure this out. I know from poking around that pretty much all of the Genesis games have some bits of legacy code from a previous installment. Although I feel that it may be easier [which is a relative term] to program the one-timer into 93.

Edited by von Ozbourme

I can see where people got that impression, though. I was rereading a gaming magazine from back in the day and saw a letter from a father complaining about the fighting in 93, especially the blood.

He took it back to the store and exchanged it for Madden. Unfortunately, that was the year they had the ambulance that could run over players. He wasn't happy about that either, hence the letter.

As for legacy code, the later games still included the arena names in the team data long after ditching the pregame commentary screen. That's probably the only reason text for fighting still exists.