NHL'94 Forums

What exactly is the "hot cold" bug in NHL 94, and is there a "fix" patch I can download somewhere?

I'm just curious about what exactly the "hot cold" bug in NHL 94 is, and if there is a patch to fix this available. Thanks!

This thread has the explanation (plus further explanations due to people asking questions):

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12074-how-to-make-the-edit-lines-ratings-match-the-actual-on-ice-ratings/

You can use the tool in that thread, or there is another tool that has several other fixes in it, and a few more variations on the hot/cold issue: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12181-tool-hack-applicator/

Note that no matter what, Ron Barr is totally random when he says a guy is hot or cold, he doesn't actually know, he's just picking guys at random.

In my final EvenSteven hacks (see last two roms, on post dated 2-13-12):

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13849-even-steven-mod-possible/

I copied the Halifax (Steven Snake) AllStar 12, maximum ratings for all teams,players, and goalies. So all teams have the identical maximum team, player, and goalie ratings.

When I go to the Ron Barr screen, the Overall team and individual player Advantage ratings are all equal (=99), despite some numbers still having "Hot" or "Cold" under them.

So, in my Roms, is the hot/cold bug fix, you mention here, still necessary?

In my final EvenSteven hacks (see last two roms, on post dated 2-13-12):

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13849-even-steven-mod-possible/

I copied the Halifax (Steven Snake) AllStar 12, maximum ratings for all teams,players, and goalies. So all teams have the identical maximum team, player, and goalie ratings.

When I go to the Ron Barr screen, the Overall team and individual player Advantage ratings are all equal (=99), despite some numbers still having "Hot" or "Cold" under them.

So, in my Roms, is the hot/cold bug fix, you mention here, still necessary?

I think it's still necessary. When a guy with 99 speed is 'average' for a game, he's actually 108. If he's really cold, he's 99. If he's really hot, he's 116.

OK, I think I see. So the Hot/Cold labels actually DO something(i.e., affect the averaged value for each characteristic), even though the ratings numbers are the same value of 99?

Is that correct?

Ron Barr's "Hot/Cold" labels do nothing.

But the game itself makes players hot and cold (all of them, separately!)

the thing about the 99 rating is that it's basically 'off the scale', so even if the guy is cold and at the bottom of his possible rating, he's still listed as 99, because 99 is his lowest possible rating.

(I take if you've used NOSE, so you've seen that 4=63-80, 5=81-98, and 6=99.. but actually 6=99-116)

Yes, I have definitely used NOSE, but was unaware of the 1 to 6 scale ranges you mentioned. Thanks. It all is starting to make sense to my slow mind.

Sorry if this is a stupid question:

I used your smozROMv100 Hack Applicator to remove the hot/cold, so do I still have to run the RatingsFix10?

Edited by NHL94PC

I used your smozROMv100 Hack Applicator to remove the hot/cold, so do I still have to run the RatingsFix10?

No, just use smozROMv100. i should probably update that thread to say to use it instead of RatingsFix

No, just use smozROMv100. i should probably update that thread to say to use it instead of RatingsFix

OK, thanks.

I just have a few questions while running smozROM.

Could you please tell me if the following are the best selections in order to make my ROM perfectly even teams and players with no hot and cold?

Do you want to include the weight bug fix? "y" or "n"? No

Game Year? 1994

Player rating scale? 6

Three Stars Scale: "y" or "n"? No

Edit Lines Ratings: Option 2. Disable the bonuses, so the players are the same every game.

I then hit "H" to apply changes and save as new ROM

However, after then I save, and play the ROM in Fusion, I get a "checksum is incorrect".

Should I resave in NOSE to correct this, or leave it alone?

Edited by NHL94PC

OK, thanks.

I just have a few questions while running smozROM.

Could you please tell me if the following are the best selections in order to make my ROM perfectly even teams and players with no hot and cold?

Do you want to include the weight bug fix? "y" or "n"? No

Game Year? 1994

Player rating scale? 6

Three Stars Scale: "y" or "n"? No

Edit Lines Ratings: Option 2. Disable the bonuses, so the players are the same every game.

I then hit "H" to apply changes and save as new ROM

However, after then I save, and play the ROM in Fusion, I get a "checksum is incorrect".

Should I resave in NOSE to correct this, or leave it alone?

Yep, that is about right.

I'm not sure what checksum Fusion checks.. not sure NOSE will fix it. I'm not sure of the effects of the incorrect checksum.. that might mean that if you put the ROM on a cartridge, it won't work.

Might want to try the 3 Stars update, except I'm not sure if the results are nice for periods longer than 5 minutes (but it's probably still better than the original rating scale..)

This thread has the explanation (plus further explanations due to people asking questions):

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12074-how-to-make-the-edit-lines-ratings-match-the-actual-on-ice-ratings/

You can use the tool in that thread, or there is another tool that has several other fixes in it, and a few more variations on the hot/cold issue: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/12181-tool-hack-applicator/

Note that no matter what, Ron Barr is totally random when he says a guy is hot or cold, he doesn't actually know, he's just picking guys at random.

Thank you so much for your reply! Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Yep, that is about right.

I'm not sure what checksum Fusion checks.. not sure NOSE will fix it. I'm not sure of the effects of the incorrect checksum.. that might mean that if you put the ROM on a cartridge, it won't work.

Might want to try the 3 Stars update, except I'm not sure if the results are nice for periods longer than 5 minutes (but it's probably still better than the original rating scale..)

Great, thanks so much for your help.

In my experience, every time I open a rom in NOSE (that Fusion says has an incorrect checksum for), and resave it, the checksum error is gone.

I will try the 3 stars update. It should be good, since I only use 5 min periods and 5 min OT, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...