NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2012

trudatman

sneslabel.png

edit: has since been edited to be a playoffs/final game update version. there is a newer thread. you can ignore this one.

http://forum.nhl94.c...-updated-72012/

quite a lot has changed since I last shared a file of this thing, but I am still seeking help and corrections and comments. if something seems wrong, please report it to me. if you know a team well and have a look through the player ratings, I will gladly accept and use comments on individual agility, speed, shot power, checking, pass/shoot bias, endurance and passing ratings, but not on overall, awarenesses, shooting accuracy nor reputation ratings. please let me know if I made any errors in spelling, jersey numbers, uniform patterning, player lines, team rosters or the likes. if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum. I'm sure there will be more updates, as there are bound to be typos and I don't feel like it is ever really finished. certainly expect a playoffs and final-game line combos update.

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

UPDATED - March 6th, 2012

if you downloaded an older copy, get this one to replace it:

[removed]

see: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14233-ninety-flow-2012-updated-72012/

Edited by trudatman

sneslabel.png

quite a lot has changed since I last shared a file of this thing, but I am still seeking help and corrections and comments. if something seems wrong, please report it to me. if you know a team well and have a look through the player ratings, I will gladly accept and use comments on individual agility, speed, shot power, checking, pass/shoot bias, endurance and passing ratings, but not on overall, awarenesses, shooting accuracy nor reputation ratings. please let me know if I made any errors in spelling, jersey numbers, uniform patterning, player lines, team rosters or the likes. if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum. I'm sure there will be more updates, as there are bound to be typos and I don't feel like it is ever really finished. certainly expect a playoffs and final-game line combos update.

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

UPDATED - March 6th, 2012

if you downloaded an older copy, get this one to replace it:

No player indicator.

....if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum....

then use player number five. you may need to do a controller setup. then you will have a brighter shadow under your player. there still won't be arrows for off-screen players, but you'll see your guy better. I like the blue one because it's pretty when there are seemingly no icons on the ice and if you are the only human player on your team you don't really need an indicator. it takes a game or two to get used to, but I prefer it, by a lot. it's much more immersive.

Edited by trudatman

hey, so we got going about player ratings in Stefan's ROM's thread and I want to elicit help with shot power and speed ratings in this one. I'm pretty sure Stefan wants to keep his player ratings staggered with first liners having good ratings and third liners having bad ratings, regardless of skillsets. with mine, I am trying to balance the ratings very differently. I'm generally arranging overall ratings to reflect a player's +/- per game, mostly using awarenesses to weigh the averages down for skilled players that hurt their teams and boost the overall ratings up for gritty guys that win with effort, passion and luck. it works. Krejci is lazy while the computer plays him, but he still gets his goals and he has the necessary components to play quite well while you possess the puck with him.

....if you know a team well and have a look through the player ratings, I will gladly accept and use comments on individual agility, speed, shot power, checking, pass/shoot bias, endurance and passing ratings, but not on overall, awarenesses, shooting accuracy nor reputation ratings. please let me know if I made any errors in spelling, jersey numbers, uniform patterning, player lines, team rosters or the likes....

so, what it comes down to, for you, if you'd be willing to provide some assistance, is: check out the shot power and speed ratings and tell me what I got wrong. if you can open it in the editor, it may be much easier, as the numbers won't fluctuate and deceive. I'd really like to get this thing all shiny and smooth before the playoffs are set, so I can feel as finished as possible as I request a cartridge. if you can help with roster expansion, that'd be nice, so certainly holler if that is within your knowledge and command. if you see anything else that is at all worth your time to comment on, it is worth mine to read. thanks.

Edited by trudatman

how about if I offer to pay for help? please have a look at the ratings for players on your favorite team and hit me with some comments!

PLEASE.

I really want to have the playoffs update be less offensive by getting the ratings polished up. I'm working on shot power and speed, mostly, and checking and passing skills a bit, too. you can help; please do.

how about if I offer to pay for help? please have a look at the ratings for players on your favorite team and hit me with some comments!

PLEASE.

I really want to have the playoffs update be less offensive by getting the ratings polished up. I'm working on shot power and speed, mostly, and checking and passing skills a bit, too. you can help; please do.

I'm really into player ratings and I know some teams pretty well (NYR, NJD), but I don't agree with your methodology completely. I think a goal scorer should score goals, a set up man should be able to pass the puck, and a defensive player should be able to check people or at least be able to maneuver to check people. +/- is more a representation of a bad defensive system or poor motivation/coaching than individual players performance...so what you do in a case like that is lower the overall rating of the team as opposed to trying to emulate +/- rating. For instance if you put Marian Gaborik on a bad team, maybe you bump his shot power down a notch..maybe that teams all star defenseman doesn't fare as well in the ratings as the guy on the first place team.

I'm with you on all of that. it doesn't hold from team to team, but within the one team, only. I have played MANY games with it, and I must say that it works. I don't have a formula for every detail and some players (traded ones and infrequent dressers, for example) require a bit of extra attention and consideration. the pass/shoot bias and other computer-controlled aspects obviously don't hold well when you are playing with five humans and everybody is forcing players to play differently than they would in really hockey, but in games that are one-on-one or versus the computer, attention to checking and bias help. inversely (kind of), when minus players that I have given bad awarenesses to are played by humans, they no longer act like lazy skaters, as you are telling them what to do and the rest of their skills allow them to play well. it works quite well except in very rare cases where a guy has mad skills but is -15 on a team with mostly pluses; awareness downgrades can only make him so lazy, so I usually drop his checking, endurance and/or passing a bit, too. it isn't perfect and there is no exact formula, but it works. I know that a lot of what I have done will turn people off from this thing, but I bet most people playing through the initial awkwardness would quite enjoy the changes even if they don't prefer them as I do. I don't expect everybody to love it, but I hold hope that folks here can add some expertise. it's too bad hfboards.com moderators won't let my posts about this stay, because in the hours they exist, I see many people wanting to play and help (can anybody recommend another large hockey message board?) and then "poof," the thread and it's contents are gone. if the game had to be translated from an Asian language, the folks at romhacking.net would be all over it and I could likely elicit assistance from them, but, alas, this is a sports game. does anybody here like NHL '94?

short version: it works, but I don't have everybody rated perfectly and I'd like help in tweaking the ratings, excluding overall, awarenesses, shot accuracy and reputation. everybody reading this is invited to contribute. please reply.

Edited by trudatman

yeah, you did.

so, with two weeks left to finish this thing up. I could really use some help. I found one error (Klein on the PK but not dressing) and a bunch of ratings to tweak, but I surely didn't find every issue. please look through any teams you know well and see if I got the banner colors wrong or the if I have a player on the roster that isn't eligible for the playoffs or if I have your teams speed or shot power ratings all wrong or whatever. general comments are always welcomed, too.

holler.

A lot needs to be done stats wise it seems.

Rather than using the in game stats (cause they're random)

ill check it out in an editor

also can't find this multitap option? i like the starless players but if i cant see who im controlling/switching to its basically unplayable.

at first. that's the big stumbling block, but, alas, I care a bit more that I fully enjoy it than for it to be easy for others to pick right up. the multitap essentially emulates the five-player adapter from the real SNES hardware accessory; activate it in your emulator program and the third, fourth and fifth players appear, with darker colors that you may still struggle to see. I imagine there are lots of folks trying this thing once and finding it too different, but I can promise you that I thoroughly enjoy not having a cluttered ice surface. anyway, please do open it with an editor, but, as it says above, don't worry about overall, awarenesses, shot accuracy nor reputation ratings. I very much am looking for help with shot power and skating speed ratings. thanks for your time.

don't worry about the overall ratings nor the reputation (aggression -- likelihood of being penalized) ratings. they are pulled directly from statistics, as are the shot accuracy (not a perfect method, but good enough) ratings. please do open it up in the editor and help me with speed and shot power ratings.

okay, so I want to rant a bit about the lack of on-ice icons. this isn't directed at anybody, so nobody needs to be offended unless they are into that sort of thing. while I totally understand the initial shock of not having a big, stupid, colorful star under your player, that's all it should be -- initial shock (I get that it often kills a player's interest before they get used to it, but please try a second game, as I bet you'll see it's simple to follow). it likely won't last one whole game, because, unless you are playing with more than one human per team, it should be screamingly obvious which player you are. you're the one facing off. you're the one with the puck. you're the one flying all over the ice, shoulder and stick-checking everybody in the other color jersey (and sometimes your own, too). on defense, the B button brings you to the closest player. the X button brings you to the netminder. the R button gives you the defenseman on the right side of the screen. guess what the L button does! as for the arrows that point off screen when you go there, you don't really need those, because you almost always know which direction you are off gallivanting in, as there is usually one glaringly obvious answer. either bring him in from off screen or just forget that guy; you don't have to stay with him. I could go through those buttons, again....

don't worry, I don't wonder why I rub people the wrong way.

alright, the time has come to work on the playoffs update. here is a reminder to y'all that I am seeking your comments and corrections. some of the jerseys must have errors. I can't have made zero typos. please read through your favorite team's roster and holler at me with your thoughts. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

alright, the time has come to work on the playoffs update. here is a reminder to y'all that I am seeking your comments and corrections. some of the jerseys must have errors. I can't have made zero typos. please read through your favorite team's roster and holler at me with your thoughts. thanks!

Here's my input:

Offensive awareness / defensive awareness are crucial to how players play, and the teams overall identity.

Me and my buddies will get together for a 2v2 night of a best of 7. We will end up choosing 7 teams each...

And it will get so in depth we will use certain teams to counter other teams. Like a physical team like Boston might be wise to use against a fast team. Or a good defensive team like Nashville might be used against a high offensive team like Pittsburgh.

Anyways, a teams overall identity is within those stats. Offensive/def awareness. If you make random numbers for those stats, the teams don't play like they do in real life, therefore the rom (in my opinion) isnt accurate.

word. I think you'll like the update, when it is ready. there will still be a few players per team that look lost when they don't have the puck (Krejci is a good example... think old Kessel or the current Ovechkin), as those guys with all the skills that still rep minuses will have poor defensive awareness. however, it won't continue to bog down whole teams, save for NYI or other craptastic groups. also, no numbers I assigned were ever picked without thought. I am currently revamping EVERY player very thoroughly, although I will admit that I am skipping over the pass/shoot bias, so I can finish this thing this week. that means some passing tendencies will be a bit off, as they are based on numbers from the beginning of the season. nearly everything else is being examined and altered if necessary. feel free to get any more comments in while they count. I hope to get the update done before any possible first-round sweeps are completed. thanks!

• 8 months later...

DUDE, this game is SWEET! How good is it? It's 100% worth the weirded out glares I've had to endure from my girlfriend. Thanks to trudatman for putting in the kind of effort it took to build this. we all know that we'd have a season if the players union and owners put in a similar amount of labor.

GO KINGS. :dal_skater_hand_grab:

thanks. can you imagine how my girlfriend felt seeing my hunched over the mouse and keyboard for all the time it took to put this together? for those looking for the ROM, click on the image in my signature and/or see this thread: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14233-ninety-flow-2012-updated-72012/