NHL'94 Forums

Anyone ever cracked the code of what off/def awr actualy do?

I just took a Rom in SNES, made all the players on the ice off awr=0, all of the def awr 100. Anaheim's top 5 players. Played a game with both sides being ANH.

you'd think nobody'd be going to the net. Not the case. It seems like players behave identically in the offensive zone regardless of this setting.

Then I did the reverse with defensive awareness. Here it seemed like players tended to skate around in corners in the defensive zone instead of staying in front of the net due to the low setting.

Anyone have a different take on this? It seems like the OFF awareness rating is almost irrelevant.

Edited by dman72

That would be kind of the opposite of what this guy says: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13954-cpu-not-hard-enough-try-this/

Nobody knows for sure though.

He seemed to say that it was pronounced in NHL97, but no so much in 94.

I'm going to do a bit more testing, but it's leading me to believe that when it comes to a user controlled team, offensive awareness may be the least important attribute.

Edited by dman72

I'm going to do a bit more testing, but it's leading me to believe that when it comes to a user controlled team, offensive awareness may be the least important attribute.

According to an attribute survey to the community,the least 3 valuable attributes were (1 - Least Important, 5 Most Important):

Forwards:

1. Checking 1.25

2. Def Awareness 1.5

3. Off Awareness 2.63

Defense:

1. Off Awareness 1.25

2. Checking - 1.88

3. Shot Accuracy - 2.13

Check the link for the full results. I think most people (including me) ASSUME that high Off Awareness means your players will set themselves up for one-timers, etc. better, but I haven't seen anything proving that.

• 1 month later...

It is believed that in NHL 12, offensive awareness improves a player's ability to retrieve a loose puck in the offensive zone and his ability to finish (score) on his shot after making a move. It is believed that defensive awareness improves a player's ability to retrieve pucks in the defensive zone. Perhaps the awareness ratings do the same thing in NHL 94?

Granted, we do not have special loose puck dekes in NHL 94; however, I bet a player with a high offense awareness rating has his odds of scoring increase dramatically after making a good play (stealing the puck and then shooting, just getting open, etc.)

I also believe a higher offense awareness rating might lead to better passing. While passing accuracy controls the accuracy of your passes, I think offense awareness might control the speed and responsiveness of a player in making a pass. I noticed that when I gave higher offense awareness ratings to goalies, their ability to make deep fast passes was superior to those who had lower offense awareness ratings. The same probably applies to the skaters as well.

offense for netminders is quite the theory. we should pool some money and offer a reward to the person that best deconstructs every aspect of the all of the versions of the games. if we each put up something like $50, we could have competing efforts to claim that cash. plenty of people are good a breaking down ROMs, but maybe we should start by sending our spare moneys to Smoz with "unrelated" wishlists attached.

fourth-line selectability

30 teams and roster expansion

deconstructed ratings factors

a new all-encompassing editor

I have US$204 on me....