NHL'94 Forums

SPRING 2012 CLASSIC TEAMS ASSIGNED!

halifax

I'd like to thank you for playing this season. As per league rules you received one of your top 5 choices and were not eligible to switched team regardless if others dropped out.

We tried something different his year and placed guys according to skill level. You were voted in from your peers in GENS(albeit the 12 spot) but nonetheless voted in to A.

We will do the same process next season. Since leagues change every year and the amount of players that sign up, this means you could play in A, B, C....who knows.

For next season I will take B or nothing.

Way to step up and get ur games done A. I was licking my chops at takng over a team but everyone stepped up.

I'd like to thank everyone involve in the team selection process again for refusing my request of being in the B league and giving me one of the lowest of my teams compared to everyone else. An 11-25 record sure is fun!! Can wait for fall :blink:

You got your 3rd team on your list. Maybe you should spend the time between Spring and Fall and reassess what teams belong in your top 5.

Team Selection Percentages

Flasox got his 8th. Hokkee got his 5th. I don't hear them complaining.

Your peers voted you into A. 11-25 is a lot better than most coaches would do in a stacked A league like you were in.

They must have made a mistake. Maybe you should tell them to leave you out next season.

You got your 3rd team on your list. Maybe you should spend the time between Spring and Fall and reassess what teams belong in your top 5.

Flasox got his 8th. Hokkee got his 5th. I don't hear them complaining.

Your peers voted you into A. 11-25 is a lot better than most coaches would do in a stacked A league like you were in.

They must have made a mistake. Maybe you should tell them to leave you out next season.

I told both you and Halifax... Since your group that picked was a secret how could I inform them. I think that would be on you guys to forward that information.

No secret dude, they asked myslef and other vets. I believe it was between you and sicarius and it was a tight vote.

No secret dude, they asked myslef and other vets. I believe it was between you and sicarius and it was a tight vote.

For both sides of the argument here: First of all, really tough to complain about having NYR if they were your 3rd píck. If that's a team you wouldn't want, don't pick them.

On the other side, Dcicon was pretty vocal about wanting to be in B after struggling in the fall with a weak team. It's pretty obvious he's at the lower end of the A league. We should also consider if the A guys have enough knowledge of the B guys too. It was between Sicarius & Dcicon, but Sicarius had an average B season with Calgary after struggling in the Blitz A league, whilst xdeathsbloodx had a 30 win season with Phily, after he finished runner-up in Blitz B league.

I think it's more a case of one or two teething problems with this new system of categorising people this season. There are 2 or 3 guys in C who's records suggest they'll be B guys next time round. Hopefully with more experience we'll all get better at categorising the players & keeping everyone happy.

As LA Robbie pointed out that I asked to be put in B was public knowledge. I still think that Halifax and Chaos should have man'ed up and honored my request if the final A slot was between myself and someone else. And if they wanted to not do that it should be a given that I get my #1 pick being the "weakest" player in the league. I think it would only be fair to give the weaker players their top choice and let the favorites to win get their #2/#3 picks and so on.

I apologize for wanting more than 3 people to have a shot at winning. I must be crazy.

As LA Robbie pointed out that I asked to be put in B was public knowledge. I still think that Halifax and Chaos should have man'ed up and honored my request if the final A slot was between myself and someone else. And if they wanted to not do that it should be a given that I get my #1 pick being the "weakest" player in the league. I think it would only be fair to give the weaker players their top choice and let the favorites to win get their #2/#3 picks and so on.

I apologize for wanting more than 3 people to have a shot at winning. I must be crazy.

I don't think it's about giving the weaker players their choice picks. No problem with having an even playing field as far as picks go. I don't think anyone's majorly at fault here. You've been in A a while & everyone knows you'd be gunning for the championship in B, so it's not such a stretch to put you in A again.

It doesn't need to be seen as some major problem, just like I said, teething problems that will be better tackled in future seasons. Us B guys will make more of a point of judging new players when we do test games so B level guys don't end up in C, and the A league guys can maybe consider past records in all the various leagues that are running when they evaluate who should be in the A league.

One thing's for sure, we're going down the wrong road if we criticise how Halifax & Chaos run the classics. They do an amazing job of organising a tournament for about 80 players & we'd be lost without them. A is not the wrong league for you. In terms of ability you can play A league, even if you are one of the weaker players, but maybe a different player could have gone in your place. No need to make it any more than that.

in retrospect it was difficult for Halifax and Chaos to come up with 12 teams to fill the A league with a lot of the top guys sitting out (SWOS, Habs, Frey. Sebe, Jrod etc).

If this happens next season, we should consider a super conference of say 8 'A' leaguers. Then have a robust B league with 20-24 teams.

Dcicon does not belong in A league, so scaling down A next season seems to make sense.

Dcicon don;t act like it was personal putting you in A. Obviously in hind sight it was the wrong choice. You do belong in B. I'm sure Chaos and Halifax can accomodate that next season, especially given the headache this is causing now.

i finished eight games below .500 and i'd just like to make it known that i have no desire to return to B. i got dominated by my division, but i feel like going to B would be stupid. went 34-6 last spring in B, and while it was fun winning for a while, it got boring and i realized it was unfair. i know this is about DC's rant, but i just wanted to point out that i was happy to be in A, even though i was placed in the worst possible division and conference! thanks for running another great season, chaos and halifax.

I wouldn't have totally minded the being in A thing if I had gotten my #1 pick. I find it hard to praise Chaos and Halifax when you give the highest players their #1 picks and the lowest ranked player doesn't. It almost seems like one of those "good ole boy clubs" the way classic seems to be run.

I wouldn't have totally minded the being in A thing if I had gotten my #1 pick. I find it hard to praise Chaos and Halifax when you give the highest players their #1 picks and the lowest ranked player doesn't. It almost seems like one of those "good ole boy clubs" the way classic seems to be run.

Flasox got his 8th. Hokkee got his 5th. I don't hear them complaining. Again Dcicon, do your homework before you say the highest players get their #1 choices. FLASOX is the defneding champ and he has #8. Yet he hasn't said boo about it.

Complainers like you sap the fun out of leagues.

let's try to keep things constructive...

Maybe when doing the peer voting for A/B assignment, we can add/subtract a little bit based on that player's league preference. This might have bumped dcicon down a spot or two and someone else up to A who wanted it but maybe wasn't expected to do as well.

11-25 isn't bad for someone who was ranked 12th. 0.306. There will always be someone who's going to be .300 in a 12-team league (heck we had guys at ~.250 in Blitz "A" -- me twice). 2 of my 3 Classic A seasons were around that (NYR and PHI.. I think I was a bit better with DAL but still didn't make the playoffs (well i made the consolation playoffs)).

We changed the old team selection method since it was bad, and we got something better (getting your 3rd pick is pretty sweet compared to the old system where you might be the only guy to pick a team as your #1 and someone else would get it as their #5 and you end up with Anaheim). So we can try a tweak to the A/B selection process.

Did dcicon pick his teams based on expecting to be in the B league? Then I could definitely understand the frustration if he picked middling teams expecting to be a top B player not wanting to smoke everyone but ended up with a middling team in the A league (If I were to play B again having won a cup with TOR maybe I'd go for an EDM or something like that).

Fall Classic 2010

I'm sure I would be the only one he comments to "Guess it's better to be lucky than skilled" rather than a GG after a loss and "you play like a fag" when he goes down a few goals; dcicon stop acting like wags.

Edited by kupuck19

Did dcicon pick his teams based on expecting to be in the B league? Then I could definitely understand the frustration if he picked middling teams expecting to be a top B player not wanting to smoke everyone but ended up with a middling team in the A league (If I were to play B again having won a cup with TOR maybe I'd go for an EDM or something like that).

Yes. I picked teams that I normally would not have picked as I made the selections after sending Chaos/Halifax a message requesting to be placed in B.

Fall Classic 2010

I'm sure I would be the only one he comments to "Guess it's better to be lucky than skilled" rather than a GG after a loss and "you play like a fag" when he goes down a few goals; dcicon stop acting like wags.

I like how you explain things... Being outnumbered in penalties 15-1 in 3 games, then the classic penalty shot blown dead and goes to a faceoff and of course who could forget 3 empty nets that went over the net while being shot from in or just around the crease. And besides that you could have said something like "those were tough breaks" or "i got fortunate by you missing the net and getting 5 power plays a game" but that wasn't the case either as you fired right back.

I think it might be time for you to get off your high horse and back into retirement or seclusion or whatever that was...

I like how you explain things... Being outnumbered in penalties 15-1 in 3 games, then the classic penalty shot blown dead and goes to a faceoff and of course who could forget 3 empty nets that went over the net while being shot from in or just around the crease. And besides that you could have said something like "those were tough breaks" or "i got fortunate by you missing the net and getting 5 power plays a game" but that wasn't the case either as you fired right back.

I think it might be time for you to get off your high horse and back into retirement or seclusion or whatever that was...

This is lame. Everybody stop complaining. Talk about sucking the fun out of things.

Game1

default ipm changed to 4

<KUPUCK> gg

<dcicon5148> i guess its better to be lucky than good sometimes

Game 2

<dcicon5148> gg

<dcicon5148> you play like such a fag

<KUPUCK> gg

Game 3

<dcicon5148> something is up for sure

<KUPUCK> gg

<dcicon5148> it def is better to be lucky than good

<KUPUCK> lol keep tellin urself that

<dcicon5148> its obvious

Game 4 Ron Barr is sick of dickons attitude and takes away his penalty shot

<KUPUCK> karma

peer dropped

BTW - it's kind of hard to praise someone when they can't even give you a "GG" after they lose. I've lost all respect for you.

outnumbered in penalties 15-1 in 3 games, then the classic penalty shot blown dead and goes to a faceoff and of course who could forget 3 empty nets that went over the net while being shot from in or just around the crease. And besides that you could have said something like "those were tough breaks" or "i got fortunate by you missing the net and getting 5 power plays a game" but that wasn't the case either as you fired right back.

lol. That does sound bad though. I think I can safely say i'd be a whiny b***h if I was on the recieving end of all that! :lol:

What were your first 2 picks? I'll check when I get home. I'm sure CHI was one. CHI went to an A newcomer (da94wookie).

In Fall 2012 you dropped out of A league.

In Spring 2011 you went 24-16 in A. With CHI. Was that one of your top picks that season?

In Fall 2010 you went 26-11 in GENS (that was the time there was one big league). With NYR. The team you have this season. And you played against A leaguers.

In Spring 2010 you went 33-7 in GENS-B. With CHI.

It seems the last 2 seasons you didn't get your "top" pick. That happens when everyone puts CHI as their top team. Some guys have learned and put a different team as their top pick, knowing the probability of getting CHI is small.

There were less veteran A coaches this season than last. That's probably why you were chosen for A.

There seems to be a huge difference in skill level between A and B leagues. As seen above from your past few seasons. I think a 24-16 record, and even your record this season, is more rewarding against A leaguers than destroying B leaguers.

What were your first 2 picks? I'll check when I get home. I'm sure CHI was one. CHI went to an A newcomer (da94wookie).

In Fall 2012 you dropped out of A league.

In Spring 2011 you went 24-16 in A. With CHI. Was that one of your top picks that season?

In Fall 2010 you went 26-11 in GENS (that was the time there was one big league). With NYR. The team you have this season. And you played against A leaguers.

In Spring 2010 you went 33-7 in GENS-B. With CHI.

It seems the last 2 seasons you didn't get your "top" pick. That happens when everyone puts CHI as their top team. Some guys have learned and put a different team as their top pick, knowing the probability of getting CHI is small.

There were less veteran A coaches this season than last. That's probably why you were chosen for A.

There seems to be a huge difference in skill level between A and B leagues. As seen above from your past few seasons. I think a 24-16 record, and even your record this season, is more rewarding against A leaguers than destroying B leaguers.

If I remember correctly I went with Montreal #1 and then maybe Buf or Van or Cal #2. I am pretty certain about Montreal #1. When the group that picked A players sent you and/or Halifax the list all you had to say was "dcicon asked to be in B, was there someone close or someone else that can take his spot" and this would all be avoided. Had you guys of done that this would have all been avoided.