NHL'94 Forums

ATTN SDL COACHES

Tony Twist

Now that we are nearing the end of the draft I really think we should all consider the length of the season one last time. I don't mind how long it took for the draft to be completed (in fact I think we all did pretty well - except maybe a little slow in the final rnds) but I think that since we all put so much effort into it we should enjoy the teams we've made for longer than a 4game per team season.

I'm a firm believer that a 6game format keeps the competition level much more interesting, and the final playoff standings much closer and more competitive. I really like the long committed season, and although it takes a bit longer to complete, the payoff at the end is that much better. Since the playoffs is more or less a fixed length of games, I also think the 6 game format offers a more balanced ratio of regular season games:playoff games with a 14 team roster. I think it also would make sense in terms of running successive seasons. The time it takes from the beginning of the draft to the end of the playoffs (with a 6game format) would seem to fit quite naturally with two long seasons - one for fall and one for spring (like classic, but starting earlier and ending later and with a break in the summer because the consensus is that people's availability drops off considerably in the summer)

Is the biggest fear that people won't play all their games? Well we actually did pretty darn well last season so I should think things will only get better, with any further non-committed players slowly weeded out and excluded from future seasons.

Finally, think of the stats. Think of Dan's beautiful stats that we have all come to love! Wouldn't it be a shame for us to already change the system and throw off continuity in what will hopefully become a long stats history? We would have to forever put an asterix next to first season stats and then think a lot harder when trying to figure out if our Terry Yakes or Lonny Loaches managed to match the performance of a first season Selanne or Lindros. THE STATS!

Let's have a final discussion folks. My vote lies firmly with the more sophisticated, challenging, and gritty 6game format!

it doesn't matter to me if we play 4 or 6 games per team but I do agree with a few things. with 6 games it would be nice to be able to compare stats from previous seasons. also, pretty much everyone is committed enough to finish games, regardless of the W/L record. last season we had a few coaches that failed and they were weeded out. the season might go too fast with 4 games. it would be stupid to be able to complete a full season in less time than the draft took

I play no more, but i want to says, all this thing are a lot of work to do and make that for a 52 gms is not a nice thing for me. But coach decide want 4 gms because we have the classic and some other league start now and the summer will coming soon.

I agree. Everybody played every game with exception of one coach and obviously the games he was involved with. All us coaches seem to be committed because the draft had no time restraints and we still got it done in decent time*. I vote for 6 again!

*unless you ask hokkee, then you're all a bunch of slack ass bums

I also totally agree. 6 games!

All of Tony's points are valid.

ie.

-there should be no issue with everyone completing their games

-we've put a lot of time and effort (dan especially) into assembling the teams

-it would be great to be able to compare stats from on season to the next (I know everyone's wondering to themselves: Can Eric Weinrich repeat his 123 point performance?? Or will he play second fiddle to Gary Suter??)