NHL'94 Forums

BLITZ 07 TEAM REVIEW - WSH - B LEAGUE

Hey Guys,

The following is a kind of team review of my Washington team for Blitz 07. Kinda styled like the pre-season reviews you get in any sport. I thought it would be kinda fun to analyse the team make-up & the process/strategy of putting the team together as well as speculate on how well they might do during the season.

It's not as in depth as AJ's stuff. I don't have his knowledge, but more a look at how the team may be set up to play etc.

Although i've put a couple of personal bits in there it's meant to be a review of the team & not the player, so maybe i'll talk about weaknesses or suggest where they'll struggle, but that doesn't mean i'm saying the guy handling them isn't a good player or can't have a great season (i.e. Kingraph made the Blitz 06 A playoffs with what was statistically suggested to be the weakest team in the rom).

If you like it & think it's any good leave a comment here. If there's demand i'd like to do one for each guy's team. If you want me to write one for your team send me a bit of information about the story of the team from last season and the story of this draft for you - Important changes, strategy for forming your team etc. Equally if you don't want your team reviewed for fear of allowing opponents a tactical advantage let me know.

Hope you enjoy the read & look forward to seeing what people think.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS - BLITZ 07 B LEAGUE

COACH: GRETZKYONACOLD

TEAM LINK: http://www.blitz94.com/draftab/rosterinfo.asp?team=WSH

TEAM OVERVIEW

Gretzkyonacold has started anew for Blitz 07. After moving the team from Detroit to Washington the roster has been completely gutted, with only Eric Desjardins & Dana Murzyn surviving the cull from last season. With obvious weaknesses in all areas in Blitz 06 Gretzky's goal was to give the team strength in depth in all areas, and it seems this has been achieved. Big names were traded out in order to add more quality overall to the roster, notably Alexandr Mogilny & Jimmy Carson. The question is, will a deep squad of good players be able to achieve more than a thin squad being carried by 1 or 2 superstars?

Nothing was expected last year, nor was it delivered. In Blitz 07 there will be much more hope that a successful season can be had.

TEAM MAKE-UP

The Caps have gone from the laughing stock of the B league rosters to a team that should be able to compete with anyone, with strength in depth at every position and a mix of players that can be changed around to pose different problems depending on the opposition and their strategy.

This strength in depth has come at a cost though. Alexandr Mogilny was drafted in the 1st round but was allowed to leave for St. Louis with Eric Weinrich in return for Tomas Sandstrom & Chris Chelios, who will be partnered by Desjardins and makes the D look much more formidable that last season's. Mogilny is of course a Blitz legend, with a career PPG average of just over 2.900, and he's been over 3.000 PPG the past 2 seasons. It's a major call to let him leave, but Danlizhot failed to make the B league playoffs last season, as Mogilny's goals failed to carry a light team - Gretzkyonacold didn't want to be in that same situation, so what do Sandstrom and Chelios add to make up for it?

Sandstrom is elite in his own right, with a career PPG average over 2.600, and has gone over 100 points in every season of his Blitz career. Not quite in Mogilny's goal scoring league, but his 4/4 skating, incredible 5/5 shot and 5 Off Aware means he scores a ton of goals, in particular one timers and slappers when he finds space around the net, and with his 9 weight he stays on his feet more than Mogilny, as well as offering more defensively.

If we're 0.250 points a game short of Mogilny's average, will Chelios make it up? His 4/4 skating, 6 Def Aware, 4 passing and big 5/1 shot look superb, but actually his career PPG average is just over 0.900, which is surprising considering the Dmen considered "Elite" are comfortably over 1.100. He's had 2 seasons at 1.200 though, and the rest at about 0.750. If he hit's his peak he's going to be more that 0.700 PPG better that Eric Weinrich's average (0.575). If Chelios hits his average he'll be just under 0.400 PPG better than Weinrich, and if he goes below his average he'll still be about 0.200 better.

Combined with an average season from Sandstrom this trade could potentially deliver 0.100 PPG more than Mogilny & Weinrich, or if Chelios hits his potential and goes to 1.100 or 1.200 PPG this season the Caps could have 0.400 PPG more than they would have. It's a gamble for sure, but, even though i'm writing in the 3rd person, you can see Gretzkyonacold's logic, even if you don't agree with it.

Despite his 7 weight Chelios still hits hard too, and you have to think a Sandstrom/Chelios partnership makes the Caps defensively better, without losing points?

So last season's top scorer Jimmy Carson (63 Gls, 90 Pts) has also gone, in exchange for Mike Richter & a 5th round pick from Buffalo before Brian Bellows was added as a 3rd round pick. Another 63 goals and 2.000 PPG have left with Carson but, in addition to gaining an acceptable goal tender, they enabled the addition of Tony Granato and Sergio Momesso in the 5th round to support Sandstrom. Can those 3 equal the tally of what Mogilny & Carson may have got this season?

Brian Bellows is coming off his best ever Blitz season, as part of Ottawa's run to the 06 B league finals, where he also played alongside Sandstrom. He hit 59 goals and 100 points, but his previous best seasons were 62 points in Blitz 2 & 3, so there's no guarantee he can replace Carson, and has a career PPG average of just 1.500. His 4/4 skating, 4/4 shot and 4 passing is not majorly different to Carson though, and his 8 weight makes him hard to handle. If the Caps can get the best from him he wont be too much of a downgrade. Granato is similar to Bellows too in that he's had an inconsistent career, and also comes in at about 1.500 PPG. His biggest asset is his 4/5 skating, whilst his 3/4 shot and 3 passing is merely acceptable. His career stats are a little better than Benoit Hogue, who struggled for Detroit last season, so this swap probably wont hurt or help the Caps roster either way.

So to Momesso. This enforcer is coming off a breakout season with Hokkee's Vancouver in Blitz 06. It was his first ever season as a starter, and he weighed in with an incredible 30 goals and 44 assists, a 1.721 PPG average. Washington have a definite 4th option to start games here. With his 11 weight and 4 checking he's a monster, who's going to help on D enormously, and he'll be vital on PKs, but with his 4/3 skating and 3/3 shot he can play his part on offence too, even if his 2 passing is a let down. He gives the Caps a totally different angle for away games and games against big teams, and if he can hit his 06 form again he looks a great addition to the roster.

There's even more depth here though, with the addition of Joe Murphy to the roster, traded in from Calgary for Paul Ysebaert. 4/4 speed, a 4/3 shot and 4 passing make him really useful. In his 2 seasons when he's played more than 20 games in Blitz he's averaged over 1.200 PPG, so he represents excellent support from the bench, and undoubtedly and option to change things up and turn a game for the better.

Completing the forward line is Mike Hudson. A second enforcer who, like Momesso is solidly skilled. 9 weight and 4 checking tells you what he's all about, but 3/3 skating and 3 passing mean he's a solid addition to the offensive play too, so it's surprising that this is going to be just his 2nd Blitz season. Momesso looks first choice for the enforcer role on this team, but Hudson is going to help secure some tight wins and won't let anyone down. No slot has been wasted on this roster for sure.

Gretzkyonacold's strategy throughout the draft was to put a big, skilled guy in every position. Frustrated by Benoit Hogue's inability to stay on his feet in Blitz 06 the coach wanted a team that could compete physically with anyone and would be tough to beat. A look at the roster suggests he's done it, with big guys all over the ice. Sandstrom will battle with all but the biggest Dmen, 8 weight Bellows won't be a soft touch and Sergio Momesso is a total beast, whilst still having the ability to play, as his 74 point season with Hokkee's VAN in Blitz 06 shows. The chance to add Granato's 5 speed to the roster was the only real exception to this strategy during the draft process.

Perhaps the most exciting thing is the variation this team has though. The forward line is based on size and skills, with heavy shooting and power to break down a deep defence, but with Granato and Joe Murphy waiting to come off the bench there is also the speed to vary things up if the opposition is pressing further up the ice.

In addition to Chelios the Caps defensive line includes Eric Desjardins and Dana Murzyn, retained from Blitz 06, and big hitting Garth Butcher who adds to the team's defensive punch. Desjardins' 4/3 skating, 3 passing and 3/2 shot combines good offensive skills with heavy hitting which usually adds about 0.750 PPG to his teams and Garth Butcher's 9 weight & 4 checking with his 2/3 skating and 3 passing makes him a great option on PKs and maybe to come in if Chelios' forward runs are leaving gaps at the back. Dana Murzyn can also dominate most forwards with his 9 weight and 4 checking, and his 2/3 skating and 2 passing are similar to Butcher. This team ain't gonna be bullied by anyone!

A look across the roster shows Washington really do have the personel for every occassion!

In goal there'll be a debate over whether Mike Richter is good enough, or if indeed he's an improvement over last season's first choice, John Blue. His 4/4 stick and 5/5 gloves are up there with the best, and his agility, speed and awareness all looks good, but he does have a reputation for conceding silly goals, and his 0.647 career save % is definitely not stellar. Jeff Reece is actually a solid backup, even if he's not a realistic option to start. Don't be surprised if he gets some ice time if Richter's having a bad day though.

STAR MEN

With Mogilny & Carson gone the pressure is on Tomas Sandstrom to carry the goal scoring responsibility this season. With over 100 points in every season of his Blitz career he looks a good addition, and with Bellows (100 points Blitz 06) and Momesso (74 points) backing him up the Caps should still be dangerous. It's all change from last season's toils when Carson (90) and Pat Verbeek (81) carried a very weak team.

On D Chelios provides top quality at both ends of the ice. Hard enough hitting to break up the attacks but with his 4 speed and 5 shot power he's also going to be the offensive threat from deep that Detroit never had in Blitz 06.

WEAKNESSES

There's no doubt this team has ability in all areas...........but is it lacking that one special game changer? Mogilny would have won games on his own, but without him Granato is the only player on the roster with more than 4 speed. He's decent, but he ain't Mogilny! How many close games might be lost 3-2 or 4-3 on a day when Mogilny might have made the difference?

There are also question marks about whether the likes of Bellows, Granato, Momesso & Murphy can equal the points potential of Carson & Hogue. They'll need to all get close to career bests, and if they can't it could be another season of struggle for Gretzkyonacold.

SEASON PREDICTION - PLAYOFF QUALIFICATION

Gretzkyonacold had a decision - Let Mogilny & Carson try to score more goals than the opposition or use their trade value to sure up the entire team. He's much more a scorer of great goals than a great goal scorer, so he went with the latter. The roster looks solid throughout and won't be carrying anyone like last season's Detroit squad.

If this group hasn't got enough in them in all areas to get to the playoffs it'll have to be considered a failure at the end of the season.

Chris Chelios - most overrated D man in the game. Nice writeup. Good luck!

Would you agree is a serious upgrade on Eric Weinrich? lol

Guest Houli

Would you agree is a serious upgrade on Eric Weinrich? lol

nothing personal against you and can't blaming you because this is your 1st season and you will learn every seasons...and chelios is not the best d-man!

you traded mogilny, so i think you don't really know the value of the players.

Edited by Houli

nothing personal against you and can't blaming you because this is your 1st season and you will learn every seasons...and chelios is not the best d-man!

you traded mogilny, so i think you don't really know the value of the players.

That's the point. I inherited a horrible team for Blitz 06. If I kept Mogilny & Carson I wouldn't have Richter in goal, Chelios, Bellows or Granato. I'd still have a lot of the s**t that I struggled with last season. Trading the stars allowed me to make the team stronger overall. Will it work? Was it the right strategy? We'll see at the end of the season I guess.

Guest Houli

That's the point. I inherited a horrible team for Blitz 06. If I kept Mogilny & Carson I wouldn't have Richter in goal, Chelios, Bellows or Granato. I'd still have a lot of the s**t that I struggled with last season. Trading the stars allowed me to make the team stronger overall. Will it work? Was it the right strategy? We'll see at the end of the season I guess.

im agree, but a goaltender is useless without some manual skills so Richter is not a good auto goalie and your trade is useless to my eyes...

I agree, I'd rather have Mogilny and Carson than Sandstrom and Bellows, but the beauty of a draft league is you can build the team how you like it! I think I can say Robbie is happy with his team, so that's what matters.

My only comment, well in addition to what I wrote above, is your goalie -- Mike Richter. I would've added him to your weaknesses area. I actually think John Blue is better, or in the same class at least, and we all know how much you loved him! :lol:

Anyway, nice write-up! Best thing to do now is have a great season!

I agree, I'd rather have Mogilny and Carson than Sandstrom and Bellows, but the beauty of a draft league is you can build the team how you like it! I think I can say Robbie is happy with his team, so that's what matters.

Yeah, I get that a lot of guys would have gone the other way, but like the review says, if i'd have kept those two the roster would hve been much weaker - Probably no Momesso and certainly a weaker D. Trading the value players certainly makes me stronger in other positions. Like I said, it was risk choosing the strategy for building the team. We'll see what happens come the season.

• 1 month later...

Bump - Edited this review with much more detail, as i've done with the other reports since. There's now a lot more for potential scouting of my team, as there is for everyone else's. lol