NHL'94 Forums

Offside or Offsides?

smozoma

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say it? That play was offside or offsides?

Hm the game manual calls it off-sides, pretty weird!

3RTiH.png

But Kerry Fraser is pretty consistent, offside: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392960

Kerry,

Can you explain why Danny Briere's goal counted even though it was offside?

James Israelson

If a linesman missed an offside call during a regular season game

People in Philadelphia still vilify linesman Leon Stickle for missing the offside goal in overtime scored by Bob Nystrom

Danny Briere's offside goal

a missed offside call

haha

The plural thing is a good point. For example, "They were off-sides" and "He was off-side"

Additionally, I believe "Off-Sides" is the noun and "Off-Side" is the adjective form.

If you're describing a goal or a player, you'd say "Off-Side"

But if you're talking about the general idea of it, you'd say "Off-Sides"

Keep in mind with the Kerry Fraser thing, he's not writing those quotes. The guy who does transcription could be writing it the way he thinks of it and leaving off the last "s" in some cases.

I could be wrong. The only books I ever read as a kid was the NHL '94 User Manual & Strategy Book.

NHL rules call it "off-side"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26497

I think I use both actually, I never thought about it before. Now that I'm cognizant of it, I don't think I'll ever add the "s" again! :lol:

I could be wrong. The only books I ever read as a kid was the NHL '94 User Manual & Strategy Book.

You mean the great Inside NHL'94 Official Strategy Guide by the great Corey Sandler??? :P

haha

The plural thing is a good point. For example, "They were off-sides" and "He was off-side"

Additionally, I believe "Off-Sides" is the noun and "Off-Side" is the adjective form.

If you're describing a goal or a player, you'd say "Off-Side"

But if you're talking about the general idea of it, you'd say "Off-Sides"

Keep in mind with the Kerry Fraser thing, he's not writing those quotes. The guy who does transcription could be writing it the way he thinks of it and leaving off the last "s" in some cases.

To me, it sounds exactly like saying, "they were insides the house" ;)

I googled "Briere offsides" and there is a definite Canada/USA split on this.

Offside:

CBC, TSN, The Score, Sun

NBC, Sports Illustrated

Offsides:

ESPN, AOL/SportingNews, LetsGoPens

I've been holding back a bit, but that isn't me, so here goes:

offside calls happen in both directions. there are two sides/directions to the rule. it is a pluralized concept that is most correctly referred to in a constant singularity. kids think about the two sides and players breaking the rule that defines the sides and thus it often gets an extra letter. it isn't correct, but my ROM calls it offsides because that's what the average American idiot would yell in a pickup game (shinny, for the Canadan Americans among us) or scrimmage. it's like so many people pronouncing the word for a skill like the word for a musical approach. if everybody mispronounces forte, it's probably only a matter of time before we are spelling it as "fortay." language is fluid. off-side/offside is the more correct way to refer to the concept in question.

My take on the reason why the game has it wrong is, well, the game has it right:

Penalties: Off, no offsides.

Penatlies are off, and there are no offsides(plural, "there are no offside calls, there are no offsides / there are no penalty calls, there are no penalties").

The manual, however, to me, is messed up. Notice that the ref is saying it correctly (he called "off-side" -- the name of the infraction, as in icing, tripping, roughing, etc), but manual's arrow to the player says he's "off-sides"! I suspect the game was written according to some correct specs, but when someone got around to writing the manual, something got lost in translation, and they thought "off-sides" was the name of the rule, not the plural of the name of the rule/call.

In football (Soccer) we always say offside, but when I worked in NJ for a couple of years they called it offsides, so for me its an american thing to say offsides

Listening to radio broadcasts from all the cities...

Chicago: offside

Phoenix: offside

Pittsburgh: offside x2

Philadelphia: offside x3

0 "offsides"