NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2012 (updated 7/2012)

trudatman

Ninety_Flow2012label.png

UPDATED - 7/6/12

quite a lot has changed in the last few updates. literally every player was updated with ratings based on their statistics for the full regular season. also, I did a much better job with the ratings this time. I recently overhauled all of the uniforms and they are much better than they were. the playoff brackets have been adjusted and the rosters have been set so the playoffs can play out as they did in real life. I am still seeking help and corrections and comments; if something seems wrong, please report it to me. if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum.

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

UPDATED - July 6th, 2012

if you downloaded an older copy, get this one to replace it:

NinetyFlow2012.zip

Edited by trudatman

here's what's in the game:

-accurate current playoff rosters/lines/brackets

-a smaller puck in play and in the face-off window

-a grin from the referee as he starts to drop the puck

-redrawn goals and ice machine

-no player numbers/stars/arrows cluttering the ice

-fatalities

-five-minute major penalties

-extended brawling periods after major penalties (fighting?!)

-individual player ratings culled from season statistics and skills competitions

-individual player ratings provided by persons knowledgeable of each complete team

-individual player ratings broadly varied to provide believable player personalities, AI, scenarios and experiences

-so many more alterations that you'll likely never notice some of them

Edited by trudatman

unless you are a gaming-with-a-keyboard master, you'll want to use a gamepad, or this game will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:

control.jpg

L = left defenseman control

R = right defenseman control

u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement

X = goaltender control

Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue

A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill

B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip

s = line change

S = start, menu

Edited by trudatman

NinetyFlow2012 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate NinetyFlow2012 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns NinetyFlow2012 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

Edited by trudatman

right; there is no star. this is intentional with the idea of it being more immersive. I like it this way. there is, however, an indicator, it is just small. you can use the multitap option and the fifth player to see the shadow under the player in a more obvious color.

Edited by trudatman

right; there is no star. this is intentional with the idea of it being more immersive. I like it this way. you can use the multitap option and the fifth player to see the shadow under the player in a more obvious color.

I really don't like this bit. I'm new to the game and I need to see what position I am controlling.

The art is well done though and I appreciate the updated rosters.

yeah, word. the shrunken indicator doesn't pamper new players the way the huge colorful stars do. however, if you learn it this way, you will have a much better feel for which player you have in quick instances. plus, you know when you have the goalie because you either have the puck with him or you pressed the button that switches to the netminder. the right defenseman has his own button, as does the left defenseman. otherwise, hitting B generally switches you to the guy nearest the puck. I'd say that it gives you the guy you want (or the player that you should expect based on his proximity to the puck) more than 95% of the time.

at first. that's the big stumbling block, but, alas, I care a bit more that I fully enjoy it than for it to be easy for others to pick right up. the multitap essentially emulates the five-player adapter from the real SNES hardware accessory; activate it in your emulator program and the third, fourth and fifth players appear, with darker colors that you may still struggle to see. I imagine there are lots of folks trying this thing once and finding it too different, but I can promise you that I thoroughly enjoy not having a cluttered ice surface....
....okay, so I want to rant a bit about the lack of on-ice icons. this isn't directed at anybody, so nobody needs to be offended unless they are into that sort of thing. while I totally understand the initial shock of not having a big, stupid, colorful star under your player, that's all it should be -- initial shock (I get that it often kills a player's interest before they get used to it, but please try a second game, as I bet you'll see it's simple to follow). it likely won't last one whole game, because, unless you are playing with more than one human per team, it should be screamingly obvious which player you are. you're the one facing off. you're the one with the puck. you're the one flying all over the ice, shoulder and stick-checking everybody in the other color jersey (and sometimes your own, too). on defense, the B button brings you to the closest player. the X button brings you to the netminder. the R button gives you the defenseman on the right side of the screen. guess what the L button does! as for the arrows that point off screen when you go there, you don't really need those, because you almost always know which direction you are off gallivanting in, as there is usually one glaringly obvious answer. either bring him in from off screen or just forget that guy; you don't have to stay with him. I could go through those buttons, again....

don't worry, I don't wonder why I rub people the wrong way.

I fixed the splotchy black in the label image. whoo.

Edited by trudatman

the file in the first post was just updated with a major overhaul. it is better in many ways.

hopes for future ROMs:

-expansion of roster space

-expansion to 30 teams

-addition of one space between initial and name in game stars popup

-removal of logos and copyrights

-flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of constant scoreboard overlay

-more selectable options when changing lines

-real speed time clock

Edited by trudatman

here's a friendly reminder that some goals break the flow on either console or emulator. this error happens in the original, too, so always remember to write down continue codes for playoffs you are enjoying:

picture3mcs.png

here's another:

picture4du.png

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

I figure this thing will get one more update in the next week or three. have your say now.

I am posting this here because I don't want to bump the old game's topic.

http://vgd.no/sport/ishockey/tema/1640014/tittel/nhl-playoffs-2010-2011/innlegg/31294707#post31294707

Old NHL Playoff games with the setup for 2011:

http://trudatmangames.blogspot.com/

Haha! This game has of course I had. I think I have actually owned the original of all NHL games since it first came out in 1993 on Sega. Must be tested :)

How do I open the file with the game? It comes up as "unknown" file type? Hate to ask such things, but it is reasonable aspiration for some retro gaming. :)

You need a SNES emulator, if it is the link to Sir you referring to?

Emulator I downloaded, it is the file to the game that comes up as unknown. :)

Then just open the emulator, also need to open the file (that game) there. Do remember it is as simple as selecting File - Open ... and then browse to the file to be opened, if you use zsnes or the like.

Otherwise, good discussion of the emulator and the kind of line here at the VGD, but I know hockey coverage to VG right, so it is probably no moderators visited this forum :)

Hehe, ok, but thank you! Got it now. :)

thank you, google. I had my fun for today.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally realized that I should have separated Del and Zotto. what else did I miss for this whole time? I need to join a betatesting site or something, I guess. expect the next update once the NYR versus NJD series concludes.

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfCB3eUpafY

yupgraeded July 6th, 2012.

Edited by trudatman

• 1 month later...

Great job. But there's one feature (or lack of) that is preventing me from consistently playing your ROM hack.... it is the missing Star that highlights the player you are controlling. I wish you didn't take that out of the game. I understand your reasoning, but people need to know who they are controlling. Even though 95% of the time it will choose the correct player, that 5% is annoying and is crucial. In every game that I've played, there's been at least one occasion where I got a goal scored on me or missed out on scoring a goal because I was controlling the wrong player. And that reason is a good enough reason that prevents me from using this ROM hack. I know this is your ROM hack and you can do what you want, but this is just my 2 cents. Thanks for your hard work and countless hours you've invested into the project.

Personally, I would do away with the highlighted star ONLY on the player that has the puck. I'd keep the highlighted star on the players that I am controlling that do not have the puck. But once my player gains possession of the puck, the star will disappear. This way, there will be less 'star usage' and clutter than the original game, but yet more star usage than your ROM hack. It's a meet in between kind of thing. By doing it this way, the gamer can now always know who he is controlling.

I dig what you are saying and I originally looked into to doing something like that. there are two different types of stars, one for the player you are controlling and one for the player with the puck. when they are the same player, the possession indicator is visible within the other indicator. I considered trying to have the possession indicator overlay and negate the other one, but it would have been a lot of work toward something that i don't think would be possible with simple redraws. I suspect that would take programming. it is a good idea, but I really couldn't be happier with how this came out. I will consider putting indicators back "in the game" for next season. I bet if i offer two different files, the one I prefer would never get downloaded. pussies! man up! it ain't that hard!

it took me about one day to get used to and I don't ever want to go back. I literally NEVER get confused as to which guy I have. he's the one zooming around, tripping, hitting, poking, checking, skating faster than the rest! he's the one doing the things you are asking him to do. also, I didn't totally take the icon away. there is a little piece of color under the player. in fact, if it didn't make the team select screen more confusing, I'd probably take them away completely. they are, however, there, like a little shadow under your guy. if you want to see him better, use controller five. in SNES9x, it is extremely easy to choose another controller slot. you activate the multitap input and then set up the controller like normal (you may have to reset the one you were using, or you could end up controlling both at once). boom, now you have a much sharper color under your player. this is helpful for playing with your friend(s) on the same team. for one-on-one or versus the computer, however, I will not concede a need for the big old star.

the goalie has his own button. the right defenseman has his own button. the left defenseman has his own button. if you want a forward instead, you get him like you are used to and you'll know right away if it failed to give you the right guy (which happens like once in one hundred attempts or when the guy you want is being held or is lagging too far behind the play). if all of that makes sense to you and you give it another few attempts and don't get used to it to the point that you prefer it, there are other hacks being made and semi-regularly updated.

Stefan makes a decent ROM with large player indicators intact. Northstar91 makes another. they are both mostly just roster updates, but neither one sucks. I'd give the edge to Northstar's (roster size expansion is unique to his), but my preference is obviously for my own. welcome to our playground. have fun!

Edited by trudatman

I will consider putting indicators back "in the game" for next season. I bet if i offer two different files, the one I prefer would never get downloaded. pussies! man up! it ain't that hard!

I think that is a good idea to offer the two. I don't see why you would care which one someone plays because they are both YOUR ROM hacks. So regardless which one someone chooses, they are still enjoying something that you hacked. Analogy: If your favorite team is "Team # 12", would you hack the game so that people can only choose/play with "Team # 12"? Of course not.

If it is not hard nor time consuming for you to offer your hack with stars enabled, then you might as well do it. It can't hurt. If anything, more people will be attracted to your ROM hack. Now, in a hypothetical situation where if you were, for some weird reason, only allowed to offer/upload just one ROM hack, then I can obviously understand why you would want to use the hack with no stars. But in reality, your allowed to offer/upload as many ROM hacks as you wish. So you might as well offer the hack with the stars.

^ Just my opinion and how I feel about the matter ^

if you want to see him better, use controller five. in SNES9x, it is extremely easy to choose another controller slot.

hmm, interesting. I'll try it out. But unfortunately not all SNES emulators have this ability.

the right defenseman has his own button. the left defenseman has his own button.

Yes, but it's easy to get confused as to which player is your right or left defenseman. The left winger could be behind the left defenseman and you can think that he is the defenseman when he's really not.

you get him like you are used to and you'll know right away if it failed to give you the right guy (which happens like once in one hundred attempts or when the guy you want is being held or is lagging too far behind the play).

That could be one too many that could cost you the game. But one of the main reasons why I don't like the no stars is because I have to always concentrate on who I'm controlling INSTEAD of playing the game. This game's gameplay is quick, you got to make split decisions, think quickly, react instantly, etc... so anything that takes even a little bit of my concentration away from that is not to my benefit. Plus the confidence factor, knowing that it's never 100% sure that I'm going to know who I'm controlling. But with the stars enabled, it's 100% sure that the player with the star is the one I'm controlling.

if all of that makes sense to you and you give it another few attempts and don't get used to it to the point that you prefer it, there are other hacks being made and semi-regularly updated. Stefan makes a decent ROM with large player indicators intact. Northstar91 makes another.

Yep, I saw that. I got them all. Everyone did a nice job.

welcome to our playground. have fun!

well, the only reasons for which I really want folks to play it are for getting feedback and suggestions (networked brainstorming), making corrections of mistakes I may have made and to encourage others to get into hacking this game. otherwise, I almost totally make this thing for myself and share it because I think it is the right thing to do. it should be quite easy to put the icons back in. I'd likely go with little circles and no possession highlights. I appreciate the abundance of thought you put into your posts. please always feel free to add more here.

• 3 weeks later...

Love this ROM, I've been playing all summer. Can't wait for the 12-13 season to start, and for a NinetyFlow update with rosters reflecting the off season activity. I'm one who initially hated your hack because of the missing player stars, but you're right. Given a little time, you get used to it and prefer the clean look.

Some thoughts on it. For some reason, there's a very long pause before the 5 minute roughing penalty is handed out after an injury. As much fun as the 5 minute PP or PK is, this really bogs down the game.

With the lines, would it be possible to swap the 4th line and the PP line? I agree that having the full roster and lines are more important than having two PP lines, but it drives me nuts when I start a period on the PP, and my 4th line is out there by default.

I'm hopeful you'll be adding the Wild in the next update? A) I'm getting sick of playing against teams in red and black, green would be a nice change, and B) a roster with Suter and Parise cannot be ignored!

Finally, I feel like with your ROM, more short handed goals are scored, both by me, and against me. Is that my imagination or is there a reason for it?

Thanks for all your work on this!

Love this ROM, I've been playing all summer. Can't wait for the 12-13 season to start, and for a NinetyFlow update....
wow. thank you! I have started working on an update, but I don't think I will have it ready as soon as I would like to. my life appears to be losing its free time rapidly. I do intend to keep at this, though.
....I'm one who initially hated your hack because of the missing player stars, but you're right. Given a little time, you get used to it and prefer the clean look....
I was starting to think I was the only one. they are not necessary, at all, unless you are playing with more than one human per team. I may make a version with bigger shadows or something for such occasions.
....there's a very long pause before the 5 minute roughing penalty is handed out after an injury. As much fun as the 5 minute PP or PK is, this really bogs down the game....
this is where the fighting comes into play! in reality, though, changing the penalty time and name for the second type of roughing was one of the first things I did as I was learning to hack the game. if I needed to undo the change to five minute majors, I wouldn't even know where to start. the delay was part of it. I like the period of shock, calm, silence or anger, panic and violence that follows most injuries (when the penalty isn't called, there is no delay). I don't intend to change this.
....would it be possible to swap the 4th line and the PP line? I agree that having the full roster and lines are more important than having two PP lines, but it drives me nuts when I start a period on the PP, and my 4th line is out there by default....
did you download the most recent update? I think you did not. it should now default to the powerplay line with the other line as the substitutions.
....Wild in the next update?... Suter and Parise....
maybe. remove Phoenix? I don't like removing a team that makes the playoffs, but I do think MIN should be "in the game."
....with your ROM, more short handed goals are scored, both by me, and against me. Is that my imagination or is there a reason for it?
I believe it is because shorthanded goals are easy to get in '94 and this ROM usually results in more shorthanded time.
Thanks for all your work on this!
thanks for putting the time into giving me feedback! it is nice to know that somebody else enjoys this thing. it did take a ton of work (I was doing roster updates VERY frequently over the past few years) and I am a bit hesitant to get back into it (which makes the lockout seem like a gift) because I intend to revamp the ratings systems and expand the rosters a bit for the shortened teams and those tasks are intimidating. expansion will break the compatibility with the editor that makes hacking this game MUCH easier, so I may save that for right before releases and keep the main file set up like it is. is there anything else I should be considering? were there skill ratings (like shot power or speed) that I got wrong? any additional comments/questions/critiques/whatever are appreciated. thanks for giving this thing the chance to win you over. I realize that very few people will get past the "I can't play without stars and arrows" stage, but it is nice to know that it is possible. which team do you usually play as? Edited by trudatman

I play this game on my Droid using the Nesoid emulator. Fortunately, it has a fast forward option, so the post-injury delay is manageable.

I thought I'd been playing the latest, but I hadn't. Because you'd mentioned fixing the playoff brackets, I've been checking for an update. At some point I downloaded it, but somehow it never made it to my phone. I will spend some time playing the latest before giving much more feedback.

I play mostly as the Flyers. I tried playing in playoff mode with some "crappy" teams for a challenge, but whenever I chose a team that didn't actually make the playoffs, Winnipeg, Toronto, Islanders... The ROM locked up. I figured this was a result of having the playoffs accurately match this year’s seedings.

I've felt your ratings were pretty darn good. Jagr is slow as can be going down the ice, Wellwood flies... Asham scores way too often when I play against the Penguins, but what can you do?

I totally get some changes being ridiculously hard to make compared to their value. So here's a wishlist, which comes with no expectation of you actually making any of these changes:

-Add the trapezoid to the ice behind the nets

-More time to hold the puck as the goalie before a whistle. Ideally, a button that would cover the puck and end play. The AI goalie seems to have this ability, and also is afforded longer time with the puck.

-Fix/update the logos when selecting teams

-For the AI players to not go so stupidly offsides!

-I've always felt icing was a bit too strict. If you could somehow virtually move the icing line back 5 feet...

-As much as I like the lack of stars and arrows, I do miss quickly knowing which player has the puck. As in, knowing that I'm Hartnell as I come in on the breakaway. If you could somehow have the player's number appear in white/black on the player's chest when they're being controlled, that would be flat out awesome. Of course any overlay would probably look pretty bad when the player turned sideways, so probably not worth it.

I'll play the latest version a bit and let you know if I have any additional feedback. I have a vague appreciation for how much work this takes, so I can almost forgive your calling the lockout a gift... almost.

Edit: Oh, and I say keep Phoenix. Lose the Islanders ;-)

Edited by NerdCage

....I thought I'd been playing the latest, but I hadn't. Because you'd mentioned fixing the playoff brackets, I've been checking for an update. At some point I downloaded it, but somehow it never made it to my phone. I will spend some time playing the latest before giving much more feedback.
I don't think too much was changed, aside from the PP/4th swap and the playoff alignments.
....whenever I chose a team that didn't actually make the playoffs, Winnipeg, Toronto, Islanders... The ROM locked up. I figured this was a result of having the playoffs accurately match this year’s seedings.
yep. I could have allowed other teams to play, but I chose not to.
....your ratings were pretty darn good. Jagr is slow as can be going down the ice, Wellwood flies... Asham scores way too often when I play against the Penguins, but what can you do?
are those accurate or outlying in your opinion?
-Add the trapezoid to the ice behind the nets

I would, but I don't know how.

-More time to hold the puck as the goalie before a whistle. Ideally, a button that would cover the puck and end play. The AI goalie seems to have this ability, and also is afforded longer time with the puck.

this is possible, but I currently do not know how.

-Fix/update the logos when selecting teams

I would, but I don't know how.

-For the AI players to not go so stupidly offsides!

mm hm.

-I've always felt icing was a bit too strict. If you could somehow virtually move the icing line back 5 feet...

while I think this is technically possible, I'm not sure I understand if you think it is accurate but annoying or set up incorrectly in the original game. also, I don't currently know how.

-As much as I like the lack of stars and arrows, I do miss quickly knowing which player has the puck. As in, knowing that I'm Hartnell as I come in on the breakaway. If you could somehow have the player's number appear in white/black on the player's chest when they're being controlled, that would be flat out awesome. Of course any overlay would probably look pretty bad when the player turned sideways, so probably not worth it.

I am totally with you on this. while they wouldn't work well overlain, the numbers can be put back below the player, but, at that point, the rest of the cleaning of the ice surface would be devalued, to me. I have considered putting them back and some other hacks have just the number or whatever, but, of the available options at hand, I prefer it as it is now.

I'll play the latest version a bit and let you know if I have any additional feedback. I have a vague appreciation for how much work this takes, so I can almost forgive your calling the lockout a gift... almost.
I understand. I bet my girlfriend is thankful for the likely lockout. this project is a HUGE timesuck.
....keep Phoenix. Lose the Islanders....

this goes back to the fact that the logos are going to be staying as they are. I would consider swapping out NSH, PHX and maybe COL. maybe having several versions with each of the "expansion" teams in the place of the allstar teams would work, but I'll likely just weigh replacing PHX with MIN. does CBJ still exist?

thanks, again, for your words. if/when I have betatesting needs, I know who to approach, now. don't expect a new version to be released before the actual new year is here.

Edited by trudatman

sure. if you want to send me the file when you will be taking a break from editing it, I'll do the MIN uniforms and send it back, if you'd like. I know I did them before when I thought I'd be using that team, so maybe I'll open a few old files to see what I've got in the mean time. lockouts make for weird offseasons. I haven't started thinking about new uniforms and player numbers and stuff like that....

....with your ROM, more short handed goals are scored, both by me, and against me. Is that my imagination or is there a reason for it?
I believe it is because shorthanded goals are easy to get in '94 and this ROM usually results in more shorthanded time.

oh, and there is the factor of having the fourth-liners as the powerplay substitutes. a decent team's shorthanded specialists should be able to punish those guys.

oh, and there is the factor of having the fourth-liners as the powerplay substitutes. a decent team's shorthanded specialists should be able to punish those guys.

Why would you have the fourth liners for the powerplay?

I have the fourth liners as the second advantaged line in order to get them "in the game." each team has a powerplay line to lean on, but when it comes time to give them some rest, the fourth line is the other option. I am still seriously considering switching it with the third line (which was the checking line in the original game) to make the even strength options 1st, 2nd, 4th and the advantaged options pp, 3rd. I ask everybody that reads this to respond, indicating if you would prefer it like that or as this is ROM currently has the lines with 1st, 2nd, 3rd as the evens and pp, 4th as the advantaged. excluding "they are just fourth liners so forget them," I am open to other suggestions, too.

do you prefer ( a )

even: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

plus: pp, 4th

short: pk1, pk2

or ( b )

even: 1st, 2nd, 4th

plus: pp, 3rd

short: pk1, pk2

?

Edited by trudatman