NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2012 (updated 7/2012)

trudatman

I think your ratings are accurate. At least, nothing stands out at being totally off, but I'm not an expert when it comes to player stats and skills.

Swapping the 3rd line for the 4th is an interesting concept. I don't know that it would make a huge difference. The Defence on the 4th line is made up of guys from the top lines anyway. So are you really at a disadvantage with your 4th line going against the shorthanded lines?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I haven't put much effort into keeping the lines up to date, as it looks like there won't be a season. maybe I'll still make a Ninety Flow 2013 and pretend there is hockey this year. probably not, though.

• 2 months later...

THANKS for taking the time to make this rom hack. I can't wait to play it (I ordered my SNES control pad from amazon 5 mins after I found this site).

thank you for posting and trying this ROM. I think you are going to enjoy Kopitaring it up. please come back and post some feedback after you have explored this hack a bit.

oh, man... I've been thinking about it, but I haven't used the editor in quite some time. don't hold your breath, but feel free to encourage me. I'm not going to have a lot of free time in the near future, but I'll be keeping an eye on how all of the teams shape up. I've been considering a ratings revamp, too. I will probably need to wait until a statistically relevant number of games has been played, too, so that may mean much closer to the playoffs than the earliest parts of this sham season. a 2013-2014 ROM is a lot more likely. thanks for checking in.

Edited by trudatman

• 4 weeks later...

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

well... I'm almost halfway through the roster updates and line setting work, so it's time to start thinking about the other stuff.

RATINGS - I'm thinking of doing pretty much the same thing I was doing before, which was nothing with a set formula but a heavy focus on +/-. I weighed that with games played, but I should have been using time on ice, so I'm pretty sure that's how I'll work it out this time. it will be relatively subjective in that I will decide if I think the best and worst players on a team are something like 92 and 61 or 100 and 39, overall. I'll then stagger the rest, generally adhering to a evenly spaced range between the extremes. factoring in quality-of-opponent stuff seems like more work than it's worth, but I'm not ruling it out. do you have thoughts you'd like to share on what I've put forth? if so, please reply.

UNIFORMS - have any teams changed their home/away jerseys recently? this one is easy: help me out with tips!

WILD - shall I remove the Coyotes? the Predators would be the other option for removing a team. at this point they both have 14 points and the Blue Jackets still are not a concern. the Wild only have 13 points, though, so I may not need to add them after all. I'll waiti until the rest of the teams are done before I put much more thought into this decision, but I'm open to ideas. comments are welcome.

TECHNICAL HELP (HACKING) - I still don't understand pointers and the likes well enough to add players to rosters like Northstar did to his ROM, but if somebody wants to put in actual work to help me, it would be great to have bench players and full names for Florida and Anaheim. adding other player left out for space would be nice, too, but I'd like to wait to do all of this stuff when nearly everything else is finalized so the editor is still able to use the file. if you volunteer to assist, I'd consider paying you or something. hit me up.

ICONS/ARROWS - I'm considering making an alternative file with the icons and stuff added back in. it is somewhat likely that I'll make a variation ROM, but it may involve asking that folks try the game without the stars and arrows several times before I send the other file to them. this is something I'll continue to mull over as the rest of the work is done. comments are welcome on this, too, but are not very likely to influence me, as I've already had plenty of feedback on this issue and I realize that most people want these things.

WEIRD STUFF - did a Russian guy decide that his name should be spelled differently than last year? did a grinder switch his handedness/stick curve direction? if you any sort of notes on players or anything, really, let me know. I like to be thorough. what am I forgetting?

Edited by trudatman

RATINGS - IMO, +/- is a worthless stat, but that is a whole debate unto itself. If that's what you use, fine, no problems.

- I think the range should be between 100 and 39, not 92 and 61. However, there should only be a few 100 players, just like in the original ROM. Not every team will have a 100 player, or even a 70 player. There should still be a couple terrible teams like Ottawa, Tampa, San Jose, Florida were in the original ROM.

WILD - As long as the Senators are in the game, that's all that matters. But personally, between the Wild and Preds, I'd rather see the Wild in there. They have a much more interesting team IMO.

ICONS/ARROWS - I am one of those that really wants/needs the icons and arrows in the game.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. Thanks for all your hard work!

RATINGS - IMO, +/- is a worthless stat, but that is a whole debate unto itself. If that's what you use, fine, no problems.

I mostly agree. +/- is fairly luck dependent (especially so early in the season), and also highly dependent on how a coach uses a player.

Phaneuf is last on the Leafs in +/-, but that's because he plays against the other teams' best players, and starts over 60% of his shifts in his own zone (not counting neutral zone faceoffs).

Mark Fraser (who? exactly) is leading the league in +/- but is basically an AHL player who plays easy minutes and has been lucky so far.

The Sedins start over 60% of their shifts in the offensive zone. That's going to be really nice for their +/- over the course of the season.

It's not perfect, but I prefer CorsiRelQoC (Corsi Relative Quality of Competition) (where Corsi is a measure of +/- in shot attempts, since shots are more consistent, statistically), since it at least factors in the quality of players the player plays against.

word. thanks, guys. pretty much verbatim what I'd have predicted you two would respond with. I'm still plugging away, getting about one team per day done as far as rosters and lines. I am very much hoping somebody can be of assistance with some of the other stuff like home/away uniform alterations. there had to have been some design changes in that long "offseason," I figure.

thank you. that is exactly the type of maintenance stuff I could use help with. I appreciate the note.

edit: to note some of your older questions/points, I'm adding some responses here. I do think the fourth line is mismatched, but I like that it makes the powerplay team not want to expend too much energy -- leading to even more shorties -- and adds more intricacies to the game. the fourth line defenders are the next most used-on-the-advantage defenders after the one or two (rarely zero) used on the powerplay line. they are essentially pp2 dmen. it doesn't look like I'll be bothering with adding MIN, as they haven't been keeping pace with the other "expansion" teams. I made the Grossmann change last season.

damnv.png

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...