NHL'94 Forums

NHL and Shanahan

hokkeefan

You get 10,000 $ fine for saying"

“I had a hard time. I saw exactly what happened,” Quenneville said. “How four guys missed it tonight, it was hard. The refereeing tonight was a disgrace.”

and you get 2,500 $ for this

Edited by hokkeefan

“I had a hard time. I saw exactly what happened,” Quenneville said. “How four guys missed it tonight, it was hard. The refereeing tonight was a disgrace.”

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous

And what is $2500 out of $1M.. it's 0.25%

If you make $50,000/year, 0.25% of that is $125

That's small pocket change these days, but I admit this is getting too ridiculous.

If you have a problem with Shanny, (which I do) put all your blame on Bettman. He's the spineless coward who won't even get involved in the discipline process. He's a useless commish. Get rid of of both of them and get a real commish who has the fortitude to start handing out actual penalties for head hunting.

Maybe Goodell has a brother.

While you're at it, get rid of the stupid instigator penalty.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous

And what is $2500 out of $1M.. it's 0.25%

If you make $50,000/year, 0.25% of that is $125

What's even more ridiculous....imagine going out for a beer and a guy punches you in the head then grabs your head and rams it into the wall,he's looking at assault charges and a criminal record :lol:

Edited by hokkeefan

If you have a problem with Shanny, (which I do) put all your blame on Bettman. He's the spineless coward who won't even get involved in the discipline process. He's a useless commish. Get rid of of both of them and get a real commish who has the fortitude to start handing out actual penalties for head hunting.

Ohhh, if you only knew for sure about the various sides of Goddell...

Let's not make it as though the remedy is worse than the disease.

What's even more ridiculous....imagine going out for a beer and a guy punches you in the head then grabs your head and rams it into the wall,he's looking at assault charges and a criminal record :lol:

lol sports aren't subject to the same laws as everyday life... pretty sure if u slashed someone with a hockey stick at a bar you'd be in some trouble, chop blocked someone at a bar, etc.

*Hokkee realizes he suddenly could be in a lot of legal trouble*

You think that's bad? Torterella got fined $50,000 for calling Crosby a "whiner" (which we all know the little b***h is). And now the Rangers are in danger of losing to the Sens in Round 1 in large part because our main speed weapon Hagelin got suspended THREE GAMES for an elbow to Alfredsson, who is made out of glass.

Yet Carkner, who basically ASSAULTED BOYLE with sucker punch after sucker punch while he was DOWN ON THE ICE and who has done this PREVIOUSLY gets 1 game??? Shanahan is a real JACKASS who doesn't have a f'n clue what he is doing.

You think that's bad? Torterella got fined $50,000 for calling Crosby a "whiner" (which we all know the little b***h is). And now the Rangers are in danger of losing to the Sens in Round 1 in large part because our main speed weapon Hagelin got suspended THREE GAMES for an elbow to Alfredsson, who is made out of glass.

Yet Carkner, who basically ASSAULTED BOYLE with sucker punch after sucker punch while he was DOWN ON THE ICE and who has done this PREVIOUSLY gets 1 game??? Shanahan is a real JACKASS who doesn't have a f'n clue what he is doing.

(Not a homer comment)

(Not a homer comment)

LOL seriousy.

You should thank shanahan for giving ONLY 3 games to hagelin, his move on ALFY was fkn DIRTY,

Bettman can't get involved because he hears the appeals. Although I think the guy isn't one of the better sports commissioners I can't fault him there.

elbow to Alfredsson, who is made out of glass.

He's played 70+ games in all but one season since 2001 (54 last season, due to back surgery).

Boyle knew what was coming, he just didn't defend himself. Got Carkner kicked out of the game, mission accomplished. (EDIT: not that I liked the further beatdown on the ice. interesting fact: Matt Carkner went to my high school and was in the grade above mine. Quiet guy who I never saw apart from his president of student council girlfriend (who was in my grade). Played on the school shinny team with him a few times and he'd always pass instead of plowing through everyone as he surely could (he was huuuge))

Bettman can't get involved because he hears the appeals. Although I think the guy isn't one of the better sports commissioners I can't fault him there.

I call BS. The commish can do what he damn well pleases to do.

Also I'm not saying Goodell is some saint and has every answer. But he's at least not afraid of his bosses (The NFL owners). What do you think the Saints owner thought of Goodell kicking the head coach out for a year along with their GM for 6 months?

I've been watching hockey since 1980. I'm almost 100% sure there has never been one game where I didn't say "wtf is he calling?" or "wtf where's the penalty?". Every hockey fan bitches about the refs. This is just one of the NHL's problems. The players no longer respecting each other enough is another. There's always been dirty players. They still only got away with so much because the players took care of it. Now the players still police themselves to an extant. But this mockery of Bettman + Shanny with their discipline is a joke of all jokes.

As a hockey fan I don't like seeing Hossa carted off the ice. And I get the whole leaving your feet is a big no no now. But it was still a check at least. Scott Stevens has to be thinking God every day he got out of the NHL before this era. Undoubtedly some of Stevens' hits were dirty. The one on Lindros was pretty much all elbow. But back then all you heard was "he had his head down". It was the same for Hossa to the extent he had his head down.

I have a bigger problem with the blatent shots to players heads. And the random discipline that goes with it. The penalties aren't even close to severe enough. It's a joke. 2500 to an NHL guy is like 5 dollars to me. Start kicking these guys out for a year minimum and I guarantee 100% you'll see a massive decline in all this bs.

I don't really think of Thornton as a dirty player. He has some buddies on the sharks that hold that title. But his hit on Perron cost Perron over a year of playing time. Not only that but it always looms that maybe it's just one more head hit to Perron and his career is done. Thornton got a 2 game suspension for this.

2 games, really? He could have blasted Perron from the side and checked his body and I would have been fine with it. But he clearly targets his head. If I was commish Thornton would be gone for 2 years minimum.

Check this elbow out from Burns this year on Nichol.

That was in game 2 of the series going on now. Burns got a 2 minute penalty and that's it. Not even a hearing. I mean wtf is going on in the NHL? Is that not a clear attempt to injure the head? The idiot folds his arm in two to use his elbow as a weapon. If I was watching MMA it's all good but this is supposed to hockey. The list goes on and on and on and on of this crap.

Like I said, nothing changes till the NHL gets tough with suspensions and they keep it consistent.

One more rant as icing on the cake. Get rid of the f'ing shootouts.

Edited by Sicarius

great post. thanks.

Hagelin should've been suspended the entire series. You and Tortorella should meet up sometime. You're both major hypocrites. Rupp goes knee-on-knee on Staal, gets nothing. Orpik less violently goes knee-on-knee on Stepan and a major uproar is created, the Pens are the big bad dirty team that picked on the poor, innocent Rangers, then Hagelin jumps in a blatant attempt to hit Alfredsson (Ottawa's captain and star player) head and who knows if/when he'll play again.

But the Rangers are somehow the team that's in danger of losing the series because they're without Hagelin, clearly Hagelin means more to the Rangers than Alfredsson to Ottawa :lol:

Don't blame Bettman for Shanahans obvious incompetence. When he assigned Shanny I was excited thinking finally a former player getting to make rulings, but alas it has been a major catastrophe.

That Burns hit was as blatant a play as Niedermayers Head hunting slash (I think on Claude?), McSorleys Bell ringer on Brashear and Bertuzzi on Steve Moore.

Having 4 referees on the ice is a joke when they miss a call like Torres leaving his feet to knockout Hossa who doesn't even have the puck. To fine Chicago's coach that much money is so wrong, it hurts to be an NHL fan right now.

Bettman must go!