NHL'94 Forums

Intro message - GENS to SNES

OK 94 buds here's the deal:

This forum was created with the purpose to bring together the NHL 94 community. That means the NHL94 (GENS) and NHL 94 (SNES) community. The truth is that these two games aren't that different. They're both called NHL 94 for a reason, and that reason is that they're the best damn classic NHL game around. I've played with guys who only played Genesis 94 and then tried SNES, and guys going from SNES to trying Genesis. Neither version is perfect, and the purpose of both these sub-forums is to objectively look at them and hopefully learn that we aren't that different.

Since I'm BoKnows (based on Bo Jackson if you didn't catch that) and he was the best modern major two sport athlete ever (he's the only player to play in two sports' all-star games [NFL Pro Bowl and MLB All-Star game]), I hope that I can be the ambassador for two-system athletes!

Hopefully these forums help end the threads of "GENS SUX" and "SNES SUX" by combining them into one place, which I'm able to moderate.

--

This specific part is dedicated to people coming from the Genesis version of NHL 94 looking into the SNES version of 94. There are lots of frustrating things about SNES 94 that you'll notice right away when going from GENS to SNES, such as:

• the horrible sound effects
  • graphic differences
  • the massive amount of posts
  • the massive amount of goalie interference penalties
  • the lack of a 1 minute remaining beep
  • the lack of a beep when a penalty is over except when it's making it back to 5-on-5
  • the lack of saying how many goals/assists a player has scored when the player scores a goal or assist (unless it's a hat trick)
  • the fact that the differences between player stats appears to be much less drastic than in the Genesis version
  • Smoz doesn't use his super magic powers on SNES
  • Skating mechanics are very different (SNES is much tighter, while Genesis gives more of a slippery "ice" effect)
  • Slap shots rarely work (covered in the Crease Cuts topic)
  • (this is a work in progess--check back later ronbarr.gif )

Edited by Bo Knows NHL94

Feel free to add to this list. Keep in mind this is supposed to be for people who played GENS and are looking into SNES. Try to keep things objective if you can. For example posting something like "the SNES players don't come together and celebrate after a goal" would be a good thing to post. Don't say "Genesis sucks because you can't select home/away team before the game" because Genesis people have kind of learned to deal with that - look for new problems that genesis people are going to have going into SNES.

Love this idea for a thread. I played a bunch of SNES exhibs before classic and here are some things that took getting used to that I can remember from the top of my head.

* Goalie movement and control are very different. The SNES goalie sort of hovers around. It's an important part of the game that I could not get used to...though I didn't play a ton.

* The slapshot is a low percentage play.

* no pass shot, lol.

no pass shot? you can pass shoot in SNES, I promise.

I would love to see a video showing some pass shot goals for SNES, because I have never seen anyone do it as a skill to consistently score like they do in GENS.

I have seen (and done) the accidental pass go in with a player standing behind the net that the 'pass' is supposed to go to.

I do it without the guy behind the net sometimes, too. it isn't a glitchy problem like it is in the Genesis version, though. it takes a bit of luck and a bit of skill, as the passing isn't always exactly the same.

took me forever to learn the pass shot in Gens. Definitely a skill that can be learned through practice. 2on2 is a great game to practice it in.

The only way I know of to score a pass goal consistently is on the penalty shot where you know that the other player is controlling his/her goalie. Take a small step to the left or right, then drive straight up and pass. You'll often score unless the other player can react quickly enough to stop a pass when theyre expecting a slow deke then a shot.

yeah the pass shot where you're on one side (let's just say the right side going down) and you cut left for a second then straighten up and pass for the post short side. Boom, pass shot goal. It's definitely easier on Genesis, though, but it can be done on SNES for sure. I haven't tried the diagonal pass shot on SNES though, anybody try this?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/K7Ow2YEcoZM

doable, but not a sure thing like in that atrocity.

it's hardly a "sure thing" it really takes skill and practice to know exactly when to do it and how to do it. And if you miss... it's a huge bounce off the corner boards which often results in a break away going the other way for your opponent ;)

right, but if you hit the sweet spot, you've got it, right? in SNES, there are nowhere near as many infuriatingly cheap automatic goals. when you pass it straight ahead on a faceoff, it doesn't go through the fivehole like it does every time on the Genesis. accurate goaltender positioning can block every type of shot from being a goal, so it takes a skillful hockey play to get one in. you can't just rely on the fact that most opponents don't know to protect the sweet spots from passshots and slapshots nor activate their netminders in time to do anything about your perfect shot. sure, sometimes in SNES you forget to defend with the goalie and a team scores in double figures, but it's not a foregone conclusion nor is it a homerun derby, because the play can always be gobbled up by the goalie.

Yeah, you bring up some points tru, but the 5-hole trick hardly works EVERY time, especially against the better goalies. Plus, against an experienced coach, if he sees the pass coming 5-hole he just turns into the goalie and either doesn't hit the C button, or moves an inch to the left or right, then there's no 5-hole goal. If anything, I'd definitely say it's much easier to deke out computer goalies by going short side on SNES than Genesis, so those are almost always automatic goals for me.

deking the automatic goaltender is nearly automatic?! no!

yeah. that's why we have a button that INSTANTLY activates the goalie.

the SNES drawback is when you change the lines, the fatigue bars don't change with it, so you see how tired your default lines are, which is confusing, at best.

....SNES players don't come together and celebrate after a goal....

this is not a real issue. not only because it is not an important thing, but also because SNES players come together to celebrate after goals. don't the Genesis players do it with unreal speed, making it more of an inverted issue back for that system?

this is not a real issue. not only because it is not an important thing, but also because SNES players come together to celebrate after goals. don't the Genesis players do it with unreal speed, making it more of an inverted issue back for that system?

the SNES guys kind of slowly lurk towards a celebration, but it's more of them doing their own thing. The Genesis guys all make a beeline right in to celebrate together, more like real life. But yeah, you're right, it really doesn't matter. It just makes knocking down all the guys who just scored on you harder :P

I will disagree and say they sort of do their own thing, but their overriding drive is toward a group celebration. am I right about the Genesis guys getting speed above their skillsets and flying together like a swarm of drones?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Two things I'd like your input on as I've played a few SNES games the last few days...

"the fact that the differences between player stats appears to be much less drastic than in the Genesis version"

What do you exactly mean? I take from this that the gap between the best and worst players in SNES is smaller than GENS.

One other thing is the "defensive control" button in SNES. You can use two extra buttons to instantly switch to the left D and right D. It's great, something I'm trying to adjust to. My question is -- if I turn this option on (the default is off), does it make it more difficult/impossible for me to switch to my D using standard "B"? If so, I'd recommend GENS players that are switching to SNES to leave this option off until you get used to it, and if not, then why is this option ever turned off?

No one has mentioned that SNES passing is tape-to-tape, whereas Genesis passing is a bit more.. ahh.. artful? :P (read: completely unpredictable)

You're good if you can make greater than 50% of your passes in Genesis (excluding one-timers.. they don't count in the game). SNES, it seems like getting under 75% would be bad?

One other thing is the "defensive control" button in SNES. You can use two extra buttons to instantly switch to the left D and right D. It's great, something I'm trying to adjust to. My question is -- if I turn this option on (the default is off), does it make it more difficult/impossible for me to switch to my D using standard "B"? If so, I'd recommend GENS players that are switching to SNES to leave this option off until you get used to it, and if not, then why is this option ever turned off?

you can switch players using B whether defense control is on or off...won't make a difference. but leaving it turned off, i guess would be the same as putting manual goalie on automatic....so you don't "accidently" hit the wrong button and activate a player you didn't want.

having said that...it would make more sense that defense control is defaulted to "on" instead of "off"...since there's not many buds that like it turned off.

did that help bud?

you can switch players using B whether defense control is on or off...won't make a difference. but leaving it turned off, i guess would be the same as putting manual goalie on automatic....so you don't "accidently" hit the wrong button and activate a player you didn't want.

having said that...it would make more sense that defense control is defaulted to "on" instead of "off"...since there's not many buds that like it turned off.

did that help bud?

Yes, makes sense, thanks. I noticed in EVERY game I've played, my opponent turns this option on (as do I).

Yes, makes sense, thanks. I noticed in EVERY game I've played, my opponent turns this option on (as do I).

I actually prefer it to be off. It just confuses me and makes me over-think things. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually doesn't like it to be on, though.

thanks (yet, again) to the Smozziest of all Smozzes, my SNES ROM has defense control set to on, by default. there is NO reason to have it off, unless you hold the controller like a masturbating chimpanzee holds a miniature doll representing my mother. it does not make regular switching any different.

now, statistical skill variety is a thing; the SNES version has drastically different actuallities from what is represented in the lists. you will find that, say, your starting right winger and left defenseman have monstrously exaggerated speed abilities allowing them to outrace Bure even though they are showing 62 in their speed ratings and weren't listed as hot nor cold in the introduction. I know that isn't exactly what was mentioned, but it relates. the differential between the 29-rated Greg Smyth and the 100-rated Super Mario isn't so wide as to render Calgary's #6 unusuable. he is able to score with dekes and cuts across, albeit without the ease of Pittsbugh's #66. is this differential wider than on that Genesis abomination? I don't think so, but maybe. I think the random boosts are more exaggereated, though. (they are also, as of yet, totally unexplainable, although I am trying my best to convey what it seems to be.)

now, as for the passing, I do concede that SNES passes are accurately aimed to where a skater is likely to be by the time the pass arrives, but the actual player to which the pass is sent off is often enough not the intended player. quite often the pass goes directly to the opposition in a seemingly opposite direction from the desired vector. the passes are more precise, less accurate. does that make sense?

good stuff. I love this section.

thanks (yet, again) to the Smozziest of all Smozzes, my SNES ROM has defense control set to on, by default. there is NO reason to have it off, unless you hold the controller like a masturbating chimpanzee holds a miniature doll representing my mother. it does not make regular switching any different.

LOL. Well for me I just don't bother turning it on. If someone else has it turned on because we switched home/away teams then I just leave it on. But I really never use it. Whenever I try I end up hesitating and it just doesn't work for me.