NHL'94 Forums

Genesis: Weight Bug

There have been countless topics made on this subject, but believe it or not most SNES players may have heard of the weight bug but don't really get it. (I just played Schwartz the other day, perfect example of a long time SNES vet who was surprised by the extreme effect the weight bug has.) This might be the single biggest thing that you need to know when going from SNES to GENS if you want to be successful. To sum it up in one sentence: The skinny guys can hit like Super Man and the big guys fall over like feeble old men. For example, if Theo Fluery brushes up against Eric Lindros you can expect Eric to go down like he was shot, and knowing Lindy he'll be out 4-6 weeks with concussion like symptoms. And if you're trying to knock over Andrei Kovalenko with Mario Lemieux then you'd better use the trip button (B button on both Genesis and SNES) because if you try a traditional check you can expect Mario to bounce off the 164 pound stud like he's made of cement and Mario is made of cardboard. This is where the whole "Jeremy Roenick is by far the best player" comes from. If you played SNES you know JR is good, but certainly not the undisputed best. At 172 lbs, lightning fast speed, and the best shot in the game it's clear how excellent stats combined with the weight bug make JR the best Genesis player around.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Smozoma has used his god-like powers to fix this bug and has applied the fix to his BLITZ league, as well as it being applied to most newer leagues and ROMS such as the updated rosters ROMS (2012, etc.). However, if you're playing classic or GDL then you need to think about it. Not only does a guy being skinny mean he's a wrecking ball, but keep in mind skinnier guys are naturally quicker too, so it's a double whammy. This leads to rather effective "Weight Whores" such as Andrei Kovalenko, Neal Broten, Nelson Emerson, and other 172 pounders who would never crack a SNES starting lineup. Yet in Genesis they are very effective and I guarantee every experienced Genesis player would have Emerson on their starting lineup for the blues in Janney's place. Many guys might even use Bob Bassen (weight whore extraordinaire!) over Brenden Shanahan (I would).

If you're new to Genesis, I'd highly recommend reading the Building Lines with AJ (Link) about your favorite team before using them. And I beg you, please don't pick Pittsburgh ;). It is possible to be effective with Pittsburgh... but you really have to know how to pass the puck well because you can expect Lemieux and Jagr are going to be spending more time on their butts than burring pucks in the net. Believe it or not, I would bet that almost all the Genesis veteran players would agree that Tampa Bay is better than Pittsburgh (especially for newbies) in the Genesis version due to Pittsburgh being extremely heavy, while Tampa is lead by Brian Bradley who is a very light stud with a great shot.

If you want to read more there's nothing I can say that wasn't already covered here or you could try reading about the fix here. So have fun and think before eating that extra slice of pizza, because you want to get down to 164 lbs so you can easily beat up that 212 lb bully next time he comes around.

calling it a bug is an insult to betatesters everywhere. it is a fail. it is an atrocity. it's a holocaust. it's a reason the product should never have been shipped and, once shipped, should have been recalled like it was made of 80% lead, 20% mercury and marketed as a teething ring for toddlers. it's the main reason not to trust a person that claims the Genesis version is somehow "better" than the SNES version. something like 4/5 of the players in that shitshow don't check the way they should. checking is integral to the concept of the game. the weight "bug" is not a bug. it's an insult to gamers everywhere.

calling it a bug is an insult to betatesters everywhere. it is a fail. it is an atrocity. it's a holocaust. it's a reason the product should never have been shipped and, once shipped, should have been recalled like it was made of 80% lead, 20% mercury and marketed as a teething ring for toddlers. it's the main reason not to trust a person that claims the Genesis version is somehow "better" than the SNES version. something like 4/5 of the players in that shitshow don't check the way they should. checking is integral to the concept of the game. the weight "bug" is not a bug. it's an insult to gamers everywhere.

As usual, your comment is unconstructive and useless.

You hate Genesis with a maniacal passion. We get it. Your point has been made to nauseating levels.

Can we please move on and let Bo create a useful forum for discussing the various differences between the two systems?

Hopefully these forums help end the threads of "GENS SUX" and "SNES SUX" by combining them into one place, which I'm able to moderate.

After seeing that last post in Kingraph's reply I am so glad I block that idoit(trudatman). Calling the weight bug a holocaust, come on man, you truly are an idiot. I am glad I see this whenever you post.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by trudatman . View it anyway?

Bo has been doing a great job with his posts and are very informative to all players or Gens and SNES.

Edited by dcicon5148

I mean yeah we all know it is a pretty big bug, we get that trudatman, but it's not like it makes the game unplayable by any extent of the imagination. It just changes how the game is played and how you set up your team. Sure it's not how the creators intended it to be and it doesn't line up with reality, but it is what it is and it really plays just fine in the game. People like the Genesis version better than SNES because of the mechanics, the gameplay, and overall feel of it, and it's not like SNES isn't without its bugs that Genesis doesn't have. Like for example when you earn a penalty shot with a player, but then touch goalie so you get a 2 minute penalty (which by the way happens way too frequently in my opinion in SNES) your guy goes to the box, then the penalty shot starts up but look! The puck shoots over to the right side of the screen (apparently trying to get to the man who is in the penalty box) like it's magnetized or something. You can skate over to the puck with your player, but you can't get it and eventually the ref blows the play dead and there's a face-off, penalty shot gone. WHAT A TRAVESTY! EA SHOULD RECALL SNES 94 NOW AND SAVE SOME FACE! No, not really. The fact is that we're playing an 18+ year old game here, there are going to be some bugs. The game is still plays wonderfully and you just have to realize that the weight factor is part of the game and plan accordingly.

Plus it's been fixed thanks to smozoma, so whatever.

You numpty. It's a cock up, but it actually adds a very interesting tactical element to the game. Yeah it shouldn't have been that way, but it's a unique feature of the GENS version that makes players think long and hard about their team selections.

It appears every post you make in these "Lets stop the GENS vs SNES discussion, they're both great" threads is to whine on about how SNES is better than GENS.

Glad to see that last post has been removed. Absolutely disgraceful. Guy starts a thread with the best of intentions, lays out his motives with well put, reasoned explanations..............and some total moron for some reason takes it as his mission to completely hijack each thread. Honestly, some people.

Remind me again, why do so many people have your comments blocked?

my removed post was deliberate and explanatory. short version is I have humor and my cover has been unblown like dad came home.

topically, weight is crucial in the game. it doesn't seem to be quite as big of a deal in the SNES version, so new Genesis players MUST understand the reality of the game. with the proliferation our current Internet allows for, there are many ROMs that feature Smozoma's work to fix the hitting/checking/falling equation. it is always important to know which way the proverbial puck slides on this issue. if you have an original, you want to play your featherweights. if you have a fixed hack, you want the beefcakes, because weight is a serious factor in the Genesis version of NHL '94.

Edited by trudatman

my removed post was deliberate and explanatory. short version is I have humor and my cover has been unblown like dad came home.

topically, weight is crucial in the game. it doesn't seem to be quite as big of a deal in the SNES version, so new Genesis players MUST understand the reality of the game. with the proliferation our current Internet allows for, there are many ROMs that feature Smozoma's work to fix the hitting/checking/falling equation. it is always important to know which way the proverbial puck slides on this issue. if you have an original, you want to play your featherweights. if you have a fixed hack, you want the beefcakes, because weight is a serious factor in the Genesis version of NHL '94.

I don't know about that... in SDL Houli won the art ross with Lindros and I won SDL with Messier, Jagr, McSorley and Kasatonov as 4 of my 5 starters. I think weight matters just as much in SNES as Blitz.

so you disagree? those seem like outlying examples, but I don't have enough Genesis experience to claim total authority. paying attention to weight always seems to help significantly more in Genesis than SNES, but it may also be my sample size or playing strategies that lend influence therein. hmm...

The thing about the weight bug was that it made the light players both quicker AND stronger.

With the weight bug fix, things are more equal. Light players are better skaters (all else being equal -- they accelerate and turn better), which it actually turns out is still pretty useful.

Top 15 Points-per-game players in Blitz regular season history:

PLAYER (WEIGHT)

Steve Yzerman (6)

Alexnder Mogilny (7)

Pavel Bure (5)

Mario Lemieux (10)

Chris Kontos (8)

Dino Ciccarelli (5)

Jeremy Roenick (4)

Tomas Sandstrom (9)

Mike Gartner (7)

Brett Hull (9)

Joe Sakic (6)

Jaromir Jagr (10)

Cam Neely (10)

Eric Lindros (12)

Mike Modano (7)

It used to be that players weighing over 7 were really tough to use effectively, but now any player can be dangerous due to the checking-vs-skating trade-off (but having a good shot sure helps -- I think only Jagr and Modano have a Shot Power+Accuracy rating less than 8 on that list, and 10 or 11 have a 9+).

If accuracy/simulation is what's important to you, then sure, the weight bug is a terrible bug. But when it comes to how fun the game is, for many people, the question is how fun the game mechanics are, not how accurate it is. The weight bug is still fun. Roenick, Bure, Selanne, Ciccarelli, etc, are speedy wrecking balls and a blast to have on your team.

It's a little bit like Unreal Tournament vs Counter-Strike.

Yeah, I agree smoz. Weight definitely matters by far the most in classic/weight bug Genesis. In Blitz, things are much more balanced for weight, just like SNES. A big factor is that yeah, the big guys are harder to knock over, but they aren't as fast, so it's an even trade off.

But I think a lot of it comes down to your personal style and how you utilize players. In SNES, I really like to knock people around with my forwards, so a guy like Messier is great for me. But some people might prefer a guy with a better shot so they can set up big shots and one timers, so Roenick or Yzerman might be their man. It's like Blitz, where I know Carse and I were pretty successful with Lindros, however somebody else might be miserable with him (Rage93 didn't do so hot with him) just because he plays a different style.

haha yeee only in gens classic would you consider taking out neely to put in donato or kvartalnov. adds to the srategy. sometimes a light guy in the low 60's will help you win more games instead of that heavy guy in the high 80's

• 1 year later...

calling it a bug is an insult to betatesters everywhere. it is a fail. it is an atrocity. it's a holocaust. it's a reason the product should never have been shipped and, once shipped, should have been recalled like it was made of 80% lead, 20% mercury and marketed as a teething ring for toddlers....

this is one of my favorite posts ever made on this board.