NHL'94 Forums

The most exciting player to ever play in the NHL

hokkeefan

This is the best compilation of Pavel Bure I have ever seen and the reason I am a hockeyfan today.

To put this into perspective,you were allowed to hook,slash and nail guys and take them out with no penalties in these times,and the reason i loved nhl94 so much AND I OBVIOUSLY FORGOT CAUSE I TRADED HIM TO HOULY GRRRR

Edited by hokkeefan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone has an opinion or a favorite. My two cents and think it's not that close is that Lemieux was hands down the greatest offensive player to ever lace up the skates. Gretzky was great, but Lemieux as le mieux suggests in French, is simply the best.

Lemieux is the only NHL player I have ever watched and it looked like he was playing with kids. He did things night in and night out that was remarkable. If he had been healthy there's no doubt he would have broke the all time points record by Gretz.

He holds one record I doubt will ever be broken. Scoring a goal every way possible. SH, PP, Even, Penalty Shot, Empty Net.

Edited by Sicarius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to '94: Alexei Kovalev was by far the most exciting and talented player on the New York Rangers (his rookie year). It was the time when Russians first starting really playing in the NHL and his skill level was off the charts. He was doing things I've never seen before (spin-o-rama, sick dekes, etc.). He was a rookie, so his ice time was limited, especially with powerhouses like Messier, Graves, Larmer, etc. on the team. But make no mistake, when #27 hit the ice, everyone in the Garden was on the edge of their seats. No doubt about it.

• 2 weeks later...

10. Pavel Datsyuk

9. Jaromir Jagr

8. Pavel Bure

7. Denis Savard

6. Kent Nilsson

5. Gilbert Perreault

4. Alex Kovalev

3. Wayne Gretzky

2. Bobby Orr

1. Mario Lemieux

Nilsson and Perreault were before my time, and I was a little surprised they were so high on the list. Kovalev #4? He's a very skilled player, but I'm not sure I'd put him ahead of Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Selanne, Bourque, Jagr, and Bure. Also, Messier deserves some consideration; he's #2 all-time in points.

How about Paul Kariya? Him and Selanne were pretty amazing for a few years there. Very exciting. Insane speed and skill. One-timers galore. If Kariya didn't have problems with concussions, he'd be an all-time great player.

Edited by da94wookiee

• 8 months later...

For excitement (which is what this thread is about) it's Bure, hands down IMO. Stickhandled and deked as good as anyone, and did it at top speed....which was way faster than anyone else's top speed with the puck. Oh, and he could score at will. Not to mention, I don't know of anyone who scored more breakaway goals. Yes, he was selfish, but that just meant he had to go through the whole team, which he could. And with all those hundreds of goals, he never really had a guy to set him up. He just did it all himself, offensively speaking.

Edited by Uncle Seth

• 2 weeks later...