NHL'94 Forums

Player Ratings for 98

wboy

Well as this forum is still without a post, I thought I'd post the info here even though it is completely valid/indentical within 96 & 97.

This post is somewhat of an extention for my findings/ramblings as found in my Player Ratings 101 post.

Most information found in that post also appears valid for 96/7/8 with a few minor exceptions. One being the supposed rating scales, and the other being the aggression attribute which seems to be somewhat incorrect within the original roms values!?!?

Dependant on the hex rating of an attribute within 96/7/8, the following info will give you general indication of what ingame attribute rating you could possibly expect for that player (slightly different to 94/95):

Hex 0, attribute rating will always range from 40 to 44 (maximum difference of 4)

Hex 1, attribute rating will always range from 44 to 53 (maximum difference of 9)

Hex 2, attribute rating will always range from 53 to 62 (maximum difference of 9)

Hex 3, attribute rating will always range from 62 to 71 (maximum difference of 9)

Hex 4, attribute rating will always range from 71 to 80 (maximum difference of 9)

Hex 5, attribute rating will always range from 81 to 98 (maximum difference of 17)

Hex 6, attribute rating will always be 99 (no possible difference)

Regarding the aggression (last) attribute, Hex 0 to 6 will produce a rating within the expected ranges shown above. Interesting, 96/7/8 all appear to use ratings of Hex 0 to F within this column. This is weird, as a Hex 6 rated player will rank 99 for aggression as expected, though a Hex 7 player will rate within the Hex 5 range? I'm not entirely sure what is happening here yet... a bug on the part of EA/THQ Inc?

Will look into more another time as its not that big of a deal. Just stick to Hex 0 - 6 to be safe as its is consistent with the other years.

• 1 year later...
Thanks wboy, that post is a big help.

You do know NOSE supports 98 and when you switch to 'attributes text' - press [F3] after you've loaded your rom - you'll see these exact rating scales show in the player lists as mention in the post.

You do know NOSE supports 98 and when you switch to 'attributes text' - press [F3] after you've loaded your rom - you'll see these exact rating scales show in the player lists as mention in the post.

Thanks, that will be helpful when editing players. That NOSE is just full of little tricks, I'm finding it more fun to edit these games than it is to play them!