NHL'94 Forums

Sprite editing pixels...

Hey guys. I'm finally experimenting with the editing of the sprites for the first time. If any of you may know the answers, I would appreciate them... but do any of you guys know how many pixels wide and high the in-game clock logo is supposed to be? For example, we know that greyscale player cards are supposed to be 48 pixels wide and 48 pixels high. What would the pixels measurements be for the part of the clock that says you're playing nhl 06, 07, 11, 12, 13, etc? It would also be helpful if you know such measurements for the team logos in the team select menu and the center ice rink logo.

From my notes:

Game Clock

7x2 tiles (where a tile is 8x8 pixels)

Offset: 0011DE7C

Palette: 2nd pallete at 366884 (this is the banner palette, so don't change it. Don't use 224/224/224 white in your image, it'll become transparent. Use 192/192/192 in your image instead)

I don't have the logos in my notes, but I have wboy's collection of images that gives the info.. I'll post it some time, because his site is dead so the info is no longer accessible (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/2977-reference-tile-molester-reference-screenshots/)

*smacks self in head* No wonder I felt stupid. I was viewing it in Tile Molester at 7x2 tiles; however, I had no idea a single tile was 8x8 pixels. I assumed each tile was an individual pixel! That explains why the clock logo I tried to put in didn't look right.

Well, after finally knowing how many pixels are in the in-game clock logo, my first test for putting in a clock which reads "NHL 12" is a success with mixed results! I am very glad to see that it was not difficult at all to put my graphic into the game and have it read NHL 12. However, I was disappointed that the "12" is showing up in green (it's supposed to be red).

Obviously, I guess this means when I use microsoft paint, I'll have to use custom colors and define the RGB value of said color. It's apparently not as simple as just clicking on the red and drawing the 12.

Thanks for the help, Smoz! I may experiment with other graphics and see what I learn.

now that you have the image imported, couldn't you just swap colors in the ROM with your tile editing program?

now that you have the image imported, couldn't you just swap colors in the ROM with your tile editing program?

Perhaps. Truth be told, there's a lot of crap I never clicked on before (like the color palette I see in the bottom left of Tile Molester) because I'm paranoid about goofing everything up. Plus, I don't want to get into the habit of trying to overcomplicate things if there are simple solutions. And maybe you guys have simple solutions to suggest to me, but they might be flying over my head at first if you say any of them. I have no experience/training in graphics work or programming work at all. I'm just some random guy trying this stuff for the first time. Prior to this, the only hand I ever had in any ROMs was helping Jesus out with his player ratings for his NHL '91 rom.

The only graphics stuff I ever learned prior to this was how to do the player cards. For a guy with no skills in these areas, I feel pleased with the start I'm having thus far.

I think you can open it Tile Layer Pro or Tile Molester and pick new colors by pointing and clicking.

As I mentioned, the clock logo is a special case because it re-uses the team banners palette. you can't change the colours. you need to tailor your logo to those colours.

Also, make sure you load the palette before you import your image, so it knows what colours to assign to the image. The palette is the 2nd palette stored at 366884. So load that palette, then click the right arrow beside the palette once.

you can still swap the colors in the tile editor, though, right? I didn't mean to suggest picking a new color.

Using the colors that were already in the palette itself (and selecting the paintbrush tool in Tile Molester), I was able to successfully put my clock logo in the game and have it displayed in the colors of my choosing. Thanks for the help, guys! I am going to do more exploring and see how many pixels each graphic that I want to edit is. Here is what I've found thus far:

In-game clock logo: 56 x 16

Player cards: 48 x 48

Title screen background: 256 x 224

Team logos (at team select menu): 48 x 48

I will find out the dimensions for the other graphics when I continue exploring. It seems like editing the graphics in this game doesn't appear to be difficult at all; however, I will have to make sure I don't touch the palette colors that I should not touch (thankfully, the screenshots I have from Wboy's Tile Molester tutorial should help).

Grumble grumble... so much for editing the graphics in NHL 94! I have come to a dead end with no idea what to do next. Here is my progress thus far...

1. Applied Wboy's 30-team ROM patch to NHL '94 rom (now NHL 13)
  2. Opened NHL 13 rom in NOSE and saved it
  3. Used the "copy to" function so that I could save .png files of the team logos from the team select menu
  4. Used NOSE to find the home strip offset for every team in NHL 13 ROM
  5. Dead end: for whatever reason, Tile Molester will not allow me to type in the entire offset

I wanted to use the "copy to" function on the teams' center ice logos; unfortunately, I need the correct palette for each logo. I am unable to import the correct palette because Tile Molester will not allow me to type the letter D in the offset at all! For example, Anaheim's center ice logo is at hex offset 001D6F02 in my NHL 13 rom; their home strip offset is 001DCA4E. I cannot import this palette because Tile Molester will not allow me to type in the D for importing the offset!

Did anybody else ever run into this problem while working with Wboy's 30-team rom template?

Palettes are entered in Tile Molester as decimal numbers. Not sure why. You can convert them using the windows calculator in programming mode.

(I don't know what the "strip offsets" are for, fill me in?)

Now I feel like an idiot... Wboy's tutorial said DECIMAL offset, not hex offset. You were right, Smoz. And this pic below is what the home strip offset was (I'm supposed to use the decimal offset for the home strip).

wboy-tutorial.png

Update on my progress:

I put my in-game clock logo into the NHL 13 rom and I like the way it looks. I also eliminated the Anaheim Mighty Ducks logo and replaced it with the more current Anaheim Ducks logo. Displayed below is the Ducks logo at center ice. I think it looks great.

ducks-center-ice.png

Unfortunately, the Ducks logo in the team select startup does not look very good to me. I loaded the palette before importing the image; however, the original palette (Wboy's Anaheim Mighty Ducks palette) did not look right; therefore, I cycled through the palettes until I found one that I thought looked best. It looked good in Tile Molester; however, it did not look great at the team select menu when you start the ROM.

ducks-team-select.png

In case you were wondering: no, I did not mess with the banners or uniforms yet. As you can see, the Ducks logo in the startup menu doesn't look very good when compared to the center ice logo. Thankfully, I have a backup ROM so I am always able to experiment before finalizing everything. Rather than cycling through the 30 team palettes for the startup menu logo and picking one that looks best, I am going to take a chance later and choose which colors I want to place into the palette itself. Hopefully, this will yield better results.

Doesn't matter which palette you've selected/cycled to in TM. It will use the palette the game is programmed to use, so you need to actually modify the palette in order to change the colours used when displaying that image. if you select a different palette and import the image, all it does is write which colour number from the selected palette to use for each pixel.. but usually the nth colour in an arbitrary palette is different from the actualy palette the game will use when displaying the image.

Making excellent progress thus far. I have put every center ice logo into the game (except the Buffalo Sabres, which I will get around to). I think I did a good job with the Winnipeg Jets logo and palette. Now I must edit the uniform colors for every other team and then I will move on to the team select logos.

Here is the Winnipeg Jets logo at center ice after I edited the palette.

jets-center-ice.png

Holy crap, that actually looks pretty good!

Now if there was one way to open up 4 lines instead of 3...

Center ice logos and team uniform colors are done. Now onto the team select menu logos! Player cards are in the distant future as rosters become more official by then. This whole thing can be quite tedious sometimes, but I can always count on Scott Hartnell for comic relief. HARTNELL DOWN!

hartnell-down-nhl-13.png