NHL'94 Forums

Look at the 6 teams Rich Nash would approve a trade to

PRoBob38

I thought San Jose would be a very real possibility. I was thinking the Sharks would maybe trade Vlasic, Clowe and a 1st rounder for Nash; however, the Sharks just gave Vlasic a five-year extension. I have doubts that they would move Brent Burns, so I'm curious as to what the Sharks would be willing to move if they're going to keep Vlasic.

Although I do not think it is going to happen, I consider the Penguins to be a very real possibility. After drafting more defensemen this summer, the Penguins have a plethora of talented young d-men who are not in the NHL yet. Perhaps the Jackets would be interested in Eric Tangradi, a 1st and several of those young d-men? If I were the Penguins, I would advise against trading for Nash, however. They do NOT need Nash and his $7 million cap hit. What they need to do is improve their defense after that moron Shero dismantled the blue line several years ago and reduced it to nearly nothing. I cannot believe he seriously thought he could replace Gonchar, Goligoski, Gill and Scuderi with the likes of Martin, Niskanen, Michalek and Engelland! Pathetic.

"Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Kovacevic doesn’t get the sense that the Penguins are that keen on Alexander Semin. The Penguins preference may be to find a young 20 goal scored on someone’s roster for one of their young defensemen, similar how they got James Neal. The Oilers could be a perfect partner. The Penguins could send Shane Doan a big one year offer to give GM Ray Shero another year to find his next Neal."

As another Pens fan, I like this idea better than trading for Nash. I'd rather they try to solve the D internally. Good job getting rid of Michalek, would be great if they could somehow do the same with Marin (that'd take a miraclulous act by Shero). Bring up Strait and Despres to replace those 2 and our D's not looking too bad. I think it's a bit overblown how bad our defense was. They were in the top half of the league in goals allowed despite all the injuries the 1st half of the season, and Philly scored 12 goals against us (in 6 games) in that playoff series even strength. Special teams were the issue. That's where Parise could've really been useful, but oh well.

I don't think the D was overblown at all. It really was that bad and Fleury was bailing them out for most of the year. Niskanen is clueless in his own end (always has been) and only deserves to play when it's on the PP. I knew the Martin and Michalek contracts were bad and would bite them in the ass since day one. Engelland is physical, but horrid defensively. At best, Engelland is a fringe NHLer/AHLer. Lovejoy is a joke and does not belong in the NHL. I'm glad they finally got rid of Michalek (he was never a physical d-man, despite Shero's claim that he was a physical d-man). Rather than overpaying Michalek, they should have just kept Mark Eaton if they wanted a shot-blocker. At least Eaton is more defensively sound!

They should give Despres more playing time. He is a smooth skater who can move the puck and make the outlet pass. He's no Gonchar and he's no Goligoski, but he's good.

If the Pens are to make a deal with the Oilers, I would gladly trade Martin to them for Paajarvi. We would be rid of Martin and his smooth skating would be an upgrade to that horrible Oilers defense. Paajarvi is tremendously talented and needs to have talent surrounding him. I think he would be a perfect fit for the Penguins' 2nd line on the LW side. Despite Paajarvi's possible upside, I don't see the Oilers being able to command a high return for him, especially since Paajarvi isn't a big part of their plans anyway (they have an abundance of young talented forwards).

It appears that Howson is interested in NHL-ready forwards, not defensemen, in any deal for Rick Nash. This has me looking at San Jose again. I think the Sharks could easily oblige by trading both Havlat and Clowe for Nash. Such a deal would be a good offer for Columbus and it would enable the Sharks to retain their depth down the middle with Thornton, Marleau, Couture and Pavelski. Obviously, Marleau can play the wing.