NHL'94 Forums

Updating NHL94.com Homepage

chaos

John, thanks again for helping out with that. Was there anything you were looking to do that you weren't able to?

• 2 weeks later...

LOL at the popcorn. Has anyone ever done an "NHL '94 Weekly" type of magazine / blog?

Possible features:

Game of the week - with video, box score, and/or write-up

Play(s) of the week - short video clip(s)

Standings Snapshot

Player Stats Snapshot (where available)

Player(s) of the week - from league play that uses stats

Weekly Poll

Interviews

Write-Ups on League Milestones (Sign-Ups, Drafts, Playoffs, etc)

Forum Fodder

NHL News

Video Game News

Weekly, monthly, quarterly, and/or yearly awards for the awesome buds in the community that make it a truly special place and/or had significant accomplishments.

Anybody else interested in this? If we could incorporate videos into a web magazine, how sweet would that be??

I'm thinking this could be fairly easy, just by compiling the best posts from the forum over the course of a week, paraphrasing some of them, and putting them together in a nice format. I've been learning Wordpress as a CMS lately, and I'd love to take this project on.

Raph has been doing a great job with Survivor and Blitz write-ups. Others have written some cool stuff and provided just the right amount of irreverent belligerence. The thing we've been lacking lately are videos, but I guess those mainly come out during playoff time.

NHL '94 WEEKLY. Let's take this to the next level.

http://www.nhl94.com can remain as a comprehensive hub for all things NHL '94, and the central news section can be replaced with a section of images (picture/headline) that link to the weekly blog's top articles. We can even set this up with an RSS Feed for minimum maintenance time. Am I crazy, or does this make sense?

That sounds awesome

• 8 months later...

Evan and Chaos have been working on updating the site. Post what you'd like to see on nhl94.com (and nhl94online.com) or express interest on some of the suggestions already made in this thread.

I have a few ideas that's been bugging me. I have not read this thread yet completely, but will do so later on to avoid putting on similar ideas.

A ) The all time standings are usually of great interest for many people. However the current one is pretty much a mess. It would be important in my mind to have a list separated for Gens and SNES.

-So games uploaded from gens leagues would have their own list and games updated from snes leagues would have their own.

-It is important to have an all time list of all players, but it would be nice to have some modifiers to the list.

-Active players, like you could see the current list of active players. Let's say like one calendar year should be enough for that.

-Maybe be able to sort by leagues. Is someone really sucking in Blitz but doing well in others and so on.

As an example: http://nhl94online.com/html/allstats.php<- You really can't say who has played in SNES/Gens, who played a season in Gens D Classic and burst his way up in win percentages and then never played another game in these leagues aka being no active user. This is also very hard to find from the site.

B ) Invidual player/coach "cards" could be a nice implementation.

-As of now you only can click on a players name like "Depch" from a specific league. It shows the league games of that current league. So what I'm coming up here is each user on the site should have their own player card that you can find loads of information, maybe even be able to write down messages, see current active leagues, past leagues player participated, trophies and all kinds of things. Similar to how the forum user info works. I'll write in an example below.

http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=23&sublg=GENS-A<- From the classic standings you can click on the name of the coach to open a team page. I think this page should open up from the team name on standings, but players should have their own pages like in the forums http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/user/56-depch/. But obviously with modified and improved information regarding leagues and such.

Not sure if it is important to show the coach name on standings as it already is on the left side of the site, but definately from the team page at least. But it's nothing bad either. Just thinking of the layout if there would be a link for team AND the coach. On the left side of the site it is marked correctly as a team page on that league, rather than coach.

C) I think you guys are doing that overall looks & fluidity improvement for the site in general. Will gladly wait on that and see if I have any more ideas to improve on that later on.

Thank you very much for the work Chaos and Evan are doing (+ league admins and such). It's no easy task, especially for a job that doesn't get you paid. But at least it can be a great CV and maybe, if maybe we get the community running up big, there might be some sponsor and such for some benefit, but it requires a lot of work and commitment. But it is doable, been so in other smaller communities as well. I'll add new ideas later on as well, just had to get these out first. I'll write some more maybe after getting back to home. :)

[EDIT]

I'm also working in a hosting company atm. So if you guys have need for a free site or extra MySQL-databases I can provide some. The servers are located in Finland, but work out very reliably and for ok latency as well. But I have not noticed lantecy issues or problems with the web site at all. Once we had some downtime and got worried if Evan had paid the bill on domain services. =)

Edited by Depch

A ) The all time standings are usually of great interest for many people. However the current one is pretty much a mess. It would be important in my mind to have a list separated for Gens and SNES.

-So games uploaded from gens leagues would have their own list and games updated from snes leagues would have their own.

-It is important to have an all time list of all players, but it would be nice to have some modifiers to the list.

-Active players, like you could see the current list of active players. Let's say like one calendar year should be enough for that.

-Maybe be able to sort by leagues. Is someone really sucking in Blitz but doing well in others and so on.

As an example: http://nhl94online.com/html/allstats.php<- You really can't say who has played in SNES/Gens, who played a season in Gens D Classic and burst his way up in win percentages and then never played another game in these leagues aka being no active user. This is also very hard to find from the site.

B ) Invidual player/coach "cards" could be a nice implementation.

-As of now you only can click on a players name like "Depch" from a specific league. It shows the league games of that current league. So what I'm coming up here is each user on the site should have their own player card that you can find loads of information, maybe even be able to write down messages, see current active leagues, past leagues player participated, trophies and all kinds of things. Similar to how the forum user info works. I'll write in an example below.

http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=23&sublg=GENS-A<- From the classic standings you can click on the name of the coach to open a team page. I think this page should open up from the team name on standings, but players should have their own pages like in the forums http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/user/56-depch/. But obviously with modified and improved information regarding leagues and such.

Not sure if it is important to show the coach name on standings as it already is on the left side of the site, but definately from the team page at least. But it's nothing bad either. Just thinking of the layout if there would be a link for team AND the coach. On the left side of the site it is marked correctly as a team page on that league, rather than coach.

C) I think you guys are doing that overall looks & fluidity improvement for the site in general. Will gladly wait on that and see if I have any more ideas to improve on that later on.

I can do A. I didn't realize people actually still look at that page. It will be a little work, but I can do it.

I am going to the league history page for each coach also. The Teams & Schedules page is kind of redundant, I'm thinking of removing it, but it does have all the coaches' AIM screen names in one place for each league.

Evan is working on changing the look and feel of nhl94.com first, then we will move to the 94online site. Stay tuned!

Depch I really like your B idea about individual coach pages/cards. A nice little write up on each coach to show what makes them unique, as well as stats and stuff like you said. It'd be really cool for newer players to get a bit of background on everyone here, and it's just fun for the coaches to see their own page

coach cards are an excellent idea. it would be REALLY cool if they were actually in the dimensions of trading cards with a similar look, maybe even formatted like 1993-1994 season playing cards from the major brands. a few trusted and continually active online players could even create skill categories and ratings for the people they play and/or watch often enough to do well with.

coach cards are an excellent idea. it would be REALLY cool if they were actually in the dimensions of trading cards with a similar look, maybe even formatted like 1993-1994 season playing cards from the major brands. a few trusted and continually active online players could even create skill categories and ratings for the people they play and/or watch often enough to do well with.

Yea, I didn't mean the thing like player cards, like the trading hockey cards. But more like a personal profile, but why not, that could even be implemented somehow, but definately needs more planning how they would be used on the site. Too much can make a mess and a simple site providing everything with ease is the best to use. :) Team & player drafts could have like coach cards, who picked who and that eventually leads to the coach profile page, but that I would postpone for further development, unless someone comes up with a good idea how it would be done. =)

D ) Above being said, implementing player/team draft somehow to nhl94online.com would be a treat. Have them all implemented to the same site for easy usage and access for all. Could also have a draft list option that automatically drafts for a player if preferences/players are set. Below the link to the site we've used in GDL, it's not 100% accurate because it requires manual work, so the best information for draft history are the boards. The good thing is that you'd only need to run the nhl94 players to the database once and after that you could have that. But I know this would be time consuming. But for future plans nhl94online.com should provide drafting and also history of drafts as well. :)

http://www.nflpickempool.net/GDLDraft/DraftedPlayers.php

Edited by Depch

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang,

I just updated the nhl94.com website to now use updated code and be more mobile friendly. This was just a conversion of the existing site from out-dated code. The next phase of the site will be to get feedback and start enhancing what is currently on the website. Feel free to throw down suggestions and if anyone wants to take on one or more aspects of the website, I'd be happy to work it out.

I'm looking to do further enhancements with graphics/css/jQuery/javascript, which I'm pretty knowledgeable with, but looking for your ideas on what would make the site more useful, functional, and all around awesome.

Thanks guys!

-Evan

Is anyone else getting an error when trying to browse the forum from a phone? I'm getting the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function primary_navigation() on a non-object in /homepages/23/d155520391/htdocs/nhl94-forum/admin_dir/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/hooks.php on line 93

Is anyone else getting an error when trying to browse the forum from a phone? I'm getting the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function primary_navigation() on a non-object in /homepages/23/d155520391/htdocs/nhl94-forum/admin_dir/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/hooks.php on line 93

yes i get the same error from my iphone.

Yes sorry about that. It's been resolved thanks to invisions support team. The new feature, called IP.Content is installed and we'll be looking to use it for future enhancements to the forum and websites.

In the past couple of days I noticed that the "newest posts" tab on the homepage now shows the same thread when new posts are added to it multiple times instead of the way it was before, every topic with a new post being shown. Can this be fixed? Maybe it's just annoying to me and if so, disregard, but I liked the old way better.

In the past couple of days I noticed that the "newest posts" tab on the homepage now shows the same thread when new posts are added to it multiple times instead of the way it was before, every topic with a new post being shown. Can this be fixed? Maybe it's just annoying to me and if so, disregard, but I liked the old way better.

I agree, old way was much better. Didn't have to search for topics since it listed the last so many.

Well it's always been called newest forum "post" hehe.

I personally thought it was a small new feature. Helps you to see if things are worth reading or not. for example if I see it's Brutus who posted blitz comments thread, then I don't have to read as it's just more of his 10000 word blitz rules mumbo jumbo :D

But you make a good point voc, there's pros and cons to both.

I agree

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've updated the homepage feed to display latest 20 topics instead of last 10 posts. That should give us more useful info, and be a quick way to see what's new in the past couple days.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've updated the homepage feed to display latest 20 topics instead of last 10 posts. That should give us more useful info, and be a quick way to see what's new in the past couple days.

Thank you! Much easier. Sorry for being a pain