NHL'94 Forums

New idea for a SNES rom?

Well so far I have created a few unique SNES roms that have been used in tournaments. These roms are based on ideas from the community. They are just basic hacks using SNES94 Editor v0.81, nothing too difficult. Thats what I like since I am not an expert hacker. Anyway, 2 of them are the "bench" rom which removed all the BEST LINE players so there are only bench players on every team and the "reverse" rom that uses the defenders as the forwards and the forwards are defenders. Both have received mixed reviews during tournament play.

Basically what I am looking for is new ideas on a unique rom that can be used in tournaments. Anyone have some interesting ideas? Please share if you do!

Bench Rom

nhl94bench.zip

Reverse Rom

nhl94reverse.zip

SNES Editor v0.81

SNES94Editor081.zip

****NEW ROM***

Here is the latest rom creation. I took a few of the suggestions and decided on this rom idea. All players attributes are reversed. 100 is now 25, 85-->35, 65-->45, 55 stayed the same, 45-->65, 35-->85, 25-->100. Now the bench players have become the star players. Mario Lemieux is now the worst player. Greg Smyth of Calgary is the best player. This will make "trudatman" happy because it slowed the game down. No player has a 100 for speed.

Ratings "Flip" Rom

nhl94ratingflip.zip

Edited by c4outlaws

I've considered making a slow ROM where all of the players have their speeds (either only speed or speed and agility) taken down a few notches. I'm curious to see if/what folks suggest.

Fast players tend to also have other good attributes.

So reverse the speeds.

6 -> 2 (1 is just too slow, for Genesis, anyway)

5 -> 2

4 -> 3

3 -> 4

2 -> 5

1 -> 6

eh. that just changes everybody around, making scrubby players into stars and verse vice-a. I think slowing the game down altogether would be far more interesting. so... do both!

sorry, I meant one of his idea where speeds are reversed and one of what I am suggesting of slowing the whole game down by significantly lowering everybody's speeds. I think I do not understand the point of Smozoma's... care to expound, Smoz?

Just reverse speeds? What about the other attributes?

Yeah, just speed. I guess you could try reversing all the attributes as another idea. Suddenly Tony Twist starts tearing it up...

sorry, I meant one of his idea where speeds are reversed and one of what I am suggesting of slowing the whole game down by significantly lowering everybody's speeds. I think I do not understand the point of Smozoma's... care to expound, Smoz?

You get fast guys with no skills, and slow guys with skills. So the players sort of average out, but still have lots of personality.

If you just make everyone slower, the same players will still be the best players, for the most part, so I don't find it's particularly interesting as a gimmick. It's kind of an anti-gimmick.

EDIT: Mind-you, I'm coming from a Genesis background, and maybe it would play out differently on SNES. I think reversed speeds would be interesting on Genesis, anyway.

how about a rom with every attribute of every player randomized. probably would be pretty tedious to set up but it could create some really unique lineups. not sure if its a good idea or not lol but its just a suggestion.

Edited by TomKabs93

I think there was a league in GENS where all the players were the same. All attributes were set to 4. So the games are all based on skill alone.

I guess you would have to eliminate any home ice advantage too.

Another idea would be to make sure the total number off attributes for each player is the same. Perhaps start with 3 for all attributes and if someone gets 4 shot power, something else has to go to 2, etc.

I like all of these ideas. here's another: SNES for the Genesis crew, with lowered agility across the boards and maybe altered puck control, so it plays more like the more popular version. oh, and reversed weights, so it can almost suck as bad be as baffling as the Genesis version.

Metzgerism did a beer league in Genesis (which I won by the way, with an epic game 5 over Carse in the finals 134340!) which had all the players with really terrible ratings. You could do that in SNES. I can only imagine how many posts will be hit... oh man. Or his Capitalism ROM (which I also won the only Genesis league!) I know he did Capitalsm a few times on SNES. That one had all the players with unreal ratings. http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/8755-cap-iii-beta-rom-snes/

I did a scrubs ROM with all 25s on two teams, one regular team and one maxed out team. it's fun and easy to customize the difficulty. most of us would still win against the computer, playing scrubs against stars, even with fatigue, but the challenge is cool. the scrub teams only have one substitute each (which is how I proved that enough injuries lead to healed players coming back into the game), so the fatigue is a serious factor, but you'd likely still win. you can try it, if you'd like, as it is available in the downloads section. maybe someday I'll redo it, as it seems kind of dated, to me, due to the player ratings and team rosters being a few years old. also, I've learned a few more hacking skills since then. posts do get hit.

edit: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11963-nhl-94-tru-scrubs-2010/

Edited by trudatman

• 3 weeks later...