NHL'94 Forums

Voice Chat?

Anyone here use voice chat like Mumble / Ventrilo / Skype etc to communicate with a teammate or to chat during a game instead of typing out text via AIM / Netplay / Hamachi? Useful for teammates or chatting with an opponent. There are certainly times when you don't want to say much during a game or it wouldn't be "PG", but it's easier to say than type.

Also if anyone wants any exhibitions or wants to help me learn some 2v2 I'd be grateful. AIM: BATBL18

Hey,

I think it's a great idea, I was thinking about that since a couple of month...

It's time to test it...

I think Mumble is a great tool for that...

We can play some games this weekend if you want.

Aim : Pearate

See ya

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon and I just played our 2 survivor league games using Mumble, and it was pretty cool. Playing from USA to France we had no noticeable lag at all. I think it has some potential good uses and wouldn't mind playing either a league game or exhibitions with it again. It was nice to get to chat about the game a bit and throw in some commentary instead of feeling like I was playing a robot who types back. It also helped when I was trying to host a game and it wouldn't let me, as I was able to let him know what I was trying to do to troubleshoot and when for him to attempt to join instead of him just waiting in the dark for me to type out responses.I could see a definite use for it in a 2v2 to communicate with your teammate.

Edited by batbl18

This sounds good. Would help community members "connect" as real people. I've done this playing friends in England for our "relive our youth" tournament we do. Every game we were connected up via skype & it didn't appear to cause any great probems.

It may be because I was playing against friends (or maybe you'd think that wud make it worse?) but I think having a human voice on the other end actually stopped me taking it so seriously & stressing out when goals were conceded etc.

I would definitely be up for trying it out in exhibs to see if there was any significant effect on lag/performance.