NHL'94 Forums

NHL 13 For Sega Genesis Thread (Updated Pictures Inside)

Hey fellow buds. I just wanted to start this thread to keep you up to date on a special project I've been working on for a few months now in my spare time. The purpose of this rom is to create a quality version of NHL 13 that can also be updated by the average joe through WBOY's NOSE program.

As you all know, Clockwise annually releases his updated NHL hacks to the masses here at NHL94.com and does a fantastic job. He also runs a great website at www.pixelpuck.com which is always updated. However those particulat roms are not editable in NOSE.

So basically, I've been working on a rom with all the trimmings of the Clockwise version, but also useable in NOSE. I've added my own distinctions to this rom, such as new selection screen logos, an updated trapezoid, Mike Emrick replacing Ron Barr, the helmet patch, and seperate goalie control button.

I've also updated the splash screens, along with the title screens. There are still some touchups I have to do. I just got done matching up the selection screen banner colors to the logo colors. I used my own personal "color matching system" to get the colors on the logos and selection screens as accurate as possible. I will go into more detail on that a bit later, but I've found this sytem really helps get more accurate colors for the game.

Anyway here are some in-game pictures of the game so far:

HELMET PATCH

pic21.bmp

NEW TIMER LOGO/HEAD COACH WITH NEW ASSISTANT COACH

pic12.bmp

UPDATED TRAPEZOID FOR '13

pic11.bmp

BOTTOM TRAPEZOID

pic10.bmp

MIKE EMRICK

pic9.bmp

1ST SPLASH SCREEN

pic1.bmp

TITLE SCREEN BACKGROUND

pic2.bmp

SELECTION SCREEN LOGOS

8828335.bmp

8828334.bmp

8828333.bmp

8828332.bmp

8828331.bmp

8828330.bmp

8828329.bmp

8828328.bmp

8828327.bmp

8828326.bmp

8828325.bmp

8828324.bmp

8828322.bmp

8828321.bmp

I would like to thank Shawn who runs www.slapshot67.com for all his help. He basically taught me everything and really helped me to get my hacking skills up to par, and where I wanted them to be. His website is informative for anyone wanting to learn how to hack NHL 94. I'd like to point out that the trapezoid is his creation. The only thing I changed was the bottom net, which is basically Rayguns (with a few variations). Raygun created an awesome NHLPA 93 hack in 2010 which can be found on the '93 page on this site.

I'd also like to thank Clockwise who I mentioned before, who made all the patches available to me and others on www.pixelpuck.com.

And finally I'd like to thank WBOY for creating NOSE which allows you to edit and update the players.

I consider these 3 guys the triforce of NHL 94 hacking. The 3 headed monster. As I said before, the main reason I created this rom was for everyone here to have a quality version of NHL 13 which they can also update themselves if they choose to.

I still have to do some touchups, but this rom will be released in October. Once I get done touching up the selection screen logos, I will post the rest of them in this thread. Feel free to use them as an avatar if you'd like! I also have to do some tweaks to the title screen shot of Giroux, etc.

I will be posting more pictures in this thread as my work continues. Stay tuned! :)

nice work. cool coaches. weird stray arm behind them. no thanks to Smoz? that doesn't seem right. great logos. the off-centered creases still look weird to me. looking forward to updates.

no thanks to Smoz?

doesn't look like much of my stuff is in there.

dynamo, if you're going to use the weight bug fix, i have a couple tips.

first: use the Hack Applicator to change the base weight to match the current era where players are naturally heavier. otherwise, players are too slow because they all weigh 8-10. This lowers the base weight by about 4 pounds (i forget exactly how many), roughly preserving the original distribution of weights of nhl 94.

second: when you rate a player's checking ability, you need to rate him RELATIVE to players of the SAME weight. If a guy is super huge, don't give him a 5 in checking just due to his size. If a big guy doesn't lay lots of big hits for his weight, give him a 2 or 3 (Hal Gill, for instance). An average first-pairing defenseman should still only have a checking rating of 3-4 (as their high weight will help them out already).

Be sure to read the documentation for Hack Applicator, especially "Player Rating Guide.html" as it tells you how to balance things properly.

The zoomed-in logos are a really cool idea and look great.

doesn't look like much of my stuff is in there.

dynamo, if you're going to use the weight bug fix, i have a couple tips.

first: use the Hack Applicator to change the base weight to match the current era where players are naturally heavier. otherwise, players are too slow because they all weigh 8-10. This lowers the base weight by about 4 pounds (i forget exactly how many), roughly preserving the original distribution of weights of nhl 94.

second: when you rate a player's checking ability, you need to rate him RELATIVE to players of the SAME weight. If a guy is super huge, don't give him a 5 in checking just due to his size. If a big guy doesn't lay lots of big hits for his weight, give him a 2 or 3 (Hal Gill, for instance). An average first-pairing defenseman should still only have a checking rating of 3-4 (as their high weight will help them out already).

Be sure to read the documentation for Hack Applicator, especially "Player Rating Guide.html" as it tells you how to balance things properly.

The zoomed-in logos are a really cool idea and look great.

Hey smozoma thanks for replying! Sorry if I left you out of my thanks (or anyone else for that matter). In fact there's probably more people I should be thanking that I didn't. If I forgot anyone else I'd gladly like to acknowledge them right now and thank them in the game credits.

I was going to put in the weight bug fix, and then rate the players in a similar way to the Clockwise rom. Would that work? The thing is, I wasn't going to use his 1-15 scale. I was going to stick with the 1-6 rating scale because I felt it would make it easier to rate players for the average person in NOSE (even though it might be a bit less accurate).

If I used similar ratings on a 1-6 scale to that of the Clockwise rom, and implemented the weight bug fix, would that work for the rom? Thanks for your help and for brining this to my attention.

nice work. cool coaches. weird stray arm behind them. no thanks to Smoz? that doesn't seem right. great logos. the off-centered creases still look weird to me. looking forward to updates.

Hey thanks trudat. The stray arm is in all the roms with bench hack. I just happened to snag a screenshot when he was waving it. It looks weird in a still picture but in game, it looks ok. Its the same as in the Clockwise version. Pretty much the same thing with the crease too.

Just got done redoing the lines around the faceoff circle. Will post pics of that soon. I didnt mean to leave anyone out of my thanks, I'm sorry. Anyone involved in this I'd like to thank. I'd gladly like to thank everyone in the game who I can. :)

Hey thanks trudat. The stray arm is in all the roms with bench hack. I just happened to snag a screenshot when he was waving it. It looks weird in a still picture but in game, it looks ok. Its the same as in the Clockwise version. Pretty much the same thing with the crease too.

Just got done redoing the lines around the faceoff circle. Will post pics of that soon. I didnt mean to leave anyone out of my thanks, I'm sorry. Anyone involved in this I'd like to thank. I'd gladly like to thank everyone in the game who I can. :)

Hey smozoma thanks for replying! Sorry if I left you out of my thanks (or anyone else for that matter). In fact there's probably more people I should be thanking that I didn't. If I forgot anyone else I'd gladly like to acknowledge them right now and thank them in the game credits.

I was going to put in the weight bug fix, and then rate the players in a similar way to the Clockwise rom. Would that work? The thing is, I wasn't going to use his 1-15 scale. I was going to stick with the 1-6 rating scale because I felt it would make it easier to rate players for the average person in NOSE (even though it might be a bit less accurate).

If I used similar ratings on a 1-6 scale to that of the Clockwise rom, and implemented the weight bug fix, would that work for the rom? Thanks for your help and for brining this to my attention.

No worries about the credit, like I said I'm not even sure anything of mine is in the ROM, and it doesn't matter anyway :P

You can't really just directly use the Clockwise ratings, because (at least in his previous ROM) he doesn't do the checking rating correctly. He makes checking go up directly with weight, which is wrong. It should only go up slightly with weight.. the lightest guys (3-5, the fleurys, gilmours, ronnings) should have an average checking rating of around 2-3. The heaviest guys should on average have around 4 (12-15, mcsorley, uwe krupp..). Only the real standouts should have 5 in checking, and maybe one or two 6s. Although, in the modern NHL, the forwards and D tend to be closer to the same weight, so you might bump up the checking ratings of the D a little bit extra.. but

No worries about the credit, like I said I'm not even sure anything of mine is in the ROM, and it doesn't matter anyway :P

You can't really just directly use the Clockwise ratings, because (at least in his previous ROM) he doesn't do the checking rating correctly. He makes checking go up directly with weight, which is wrong. It should only go up slightly with weight.. the lightest guys (3-5, the fleurys, gilmours, ronnings) should have an average checking rating of around 2-3. The heaviest guys should on average have around 4 (12-15, mcsorley, uwe krupp..). Only the real standouts should have 5 in checking, and maybe one or two 6s. Although, in the modern NHL, the forwards and D tend to be closer to the same weight, so you might bump up the checking ratings of the D a little bit extra.. but

Hey smoz. If I were to lift the ratings (as close as possible) from the Clockwise rom using the 1-6 rating scale, you're saying the heavier guys should not have a high checking rating right? So in your opinion, which players in the Clockwise rom are rated too high in checking? What I mean is, players weighing over a certain weight should be lowered (using Clockwise ratings)? If so, around what weight? 196? Or maybe higher or lower? Sorry to be a pain thanks so much for your help! I'd like to get this rom as accurate as possible. This is my weakness, dealing with ratings and numbers.

check the "Player Rating Guide.html" in the Hack Applicator package. it gives you all the average values you should use if you want to maintain the original (with weight bug fix) NHL94 feel. The problem I found with clockwise's ROM was that there were sooo many guys with 5 checking, when 5 is considered exceptional and gives a really big checking bonus in the weight bug fix.

Even among the first-pairing defense, the average checking rating should only be around 3.5 for the whole league's starting pairs (some teams higher, some teams lower).

check the "Player Rating Guide.html" in the Hack Applicator package. it gives you all the average values you should use if you want to maintain the original (with weight bug fix) NHL94 feel. The problem I found with clockwise's ROM was that there were sooo many guys with 5 checking, when 5 is considered exceptional and gives a really big checking bonus in the weight bug fix.

Even among the first-pairing defense, the average checking rating should only be around 3.5.

What I love about the clockwise roms is that there's much more of a "simulation" feel than a '94 "arcade" feel precisely because you don't have any (Or very many at least) supermen, bouncing off clearly good hits before making you rip your hair out as they tuck it in the net, giving you the virtual "V" sign and leaving you screaming "What the F**** could I do there then?!!!!!!"

You have much less ability to just go off on a mad charge, ploughing through the D, exactly because most of the players can hit better than in the original game. Me personally, I prefer it. It seems far more realistic.

Even among the first-pairing defense, the average checking rating should only be around 3.5 for the whole league's starting pairs (some teams higher, some teams lower).

Hey smoz thanks so much for your help! Just one more question, is the main problem with the Clockwise rom the checking ratings? Or do you find other ratings off? Is it just checking that needs correction for his rom? Thanks for the help!

For me, it's just the checking that's wrong because it's too inflated at the high end.

The other ratings are just personal opinion. I found he stuck to the new EA game ratings too closely, whereas I would have tried to scale the ratings more so that a "70" in the new games became maybe 50 in the nhl 94 update. Maybe he's done it differently in his latest ROMs, though.

For me, it's just the checking that's wrong because it's too inflated at the high end.

The other ratings are just personal opinion. I found he stuck to the new EA game ratings too closely, whereas I would have tried to scale the ratings more so that a "70" in the new games became maybe 50 in the nhl 94 update. Maybe he's done it differently in his latest ROMs, though.

You mean the ratings are too high overall in your opinion? Players rated too highly overall?

Yeah, the ratings are on the whole too high, just like in the new EA games were players are all 70+ in almost everything. Part of the fun of 94 is the variety of players, which comes about due to the wide variety of ratings.

I agree. I use a similar scale to the original, skewing higher with a general bonus of about a dozen overall points for everybody. the old worst Smyth of 29 is like a Staal of 41, or so. this leads to more players hitting 100 and fewer "failing-grade" scrubs. I'm quite happy with the distribution, even if there are a few too many 100s. I'm excited to try the Corsi relative to the competition scale I laid out in one of the other threads. that should fix some of the plus/minus-based SNAFUs and generally realign overalls with the original '94.

*sigh* IF only you guys did something for 93...

I can do an update for 93 after I'm done with this. But there's no helmet patch or stick tape. You down for that? The only problem for me with 93 is I use the Clockwise rom update as basically a guide for the ratings (and he rips it off the ps3 ratings). I could do the same for 93, but I'm not sure how to rate players fighting ability since 94 has no fighting. I'd need someone to help me with that. You know anything about rating players fighting? How familiar are you with the league players and their fighting abilities?

Also, I'd need help with the overall ratings when Ron Barr pops up. Or, I could just get rid of that and do just one "overall" rating the way 94 does. That might be a better idea.

What would you like to see in an NHLPA 93 update, 77? Any suggestions? I wish I could change the title screen, with the animated glitter. But apparently that has proven to be very difficult to disable.

EDIT: I love 93. It's a different game than 94.

Edited by dynamo11

http://escanabasucks.com/nhltoughguys

http://escanabasucks.com/nhltoughguys/roms/NHLTOUGHGUYSv90.bin

yah 93 isnt totally decompressed, so you can only do the pre title screen

i just want a 93 that looks as awesome as your 94s =) aka eyes and sticks and bench graphics

Edited by 77

• 4 months later...

you've been waiting for almost twenty hours? well... he'd better get this thing done, then!

there's anormal
oh, well that clears it all up, then.

• 2 weeks later...