NHL'94 Forums

Speed & Agility

smozoma

Discussions on speed and agility ratings go here

Speed is quite obvious.

Agility appears to affect turning ability. Some other things it might affect are: acceleration/stopping. deking speed. some say ability to take a check.

I wonder if you can mix Weight along with Agility's supposed ability to resist body checks. It may be factorized as to how many checks are needed to take down a single guy. Sometimes it's just one, others two or three. Trying to connect with body checks in succession may not always work unless you hold down the player and trap him into a sandwich that'll make it easier to bring him down.

I would say that acceleration comes into play a lot as much as twisting and turning does when it comes to Agility. There are many speedsters such as Mogilny, Bure, the Courtnalls and Modano that can blaze by just fine, even though they may come down with a Cold streak. However, some skaters can move by rather fast even though Speed isn't low. Wayne Gretzky, who's got 6/4 in Agility and Speed, still moves pretty fine as though he's Barishnikov on the ice and can catch up rather well. But then again, it is Wayne Gretzky. :P

Agility appears to affect turning ability. Some other things it might affect are: acceleration/stopping. deking speed. some say ability to take a check.

Thinking of Teemu, Courtnall & Mogilny I think ability to take a check is a definite! As long as it's not a head on hit (Or sometimes even if it is) those guys seem to play like they're much heavier than they are in the Blitz rom.

agility allows you to turn away from a check faster and easier, for sure. lets you avoid the hit by turning away and taking it in the shoulder or back instead of the face.

I too have noticed that turning away from a hit seems to reduce the chances of it succeeding.

There is some "magic" to the checking that I was not able to decode when doing the weight bug fix, so I don't know all the factors in what in the end makes a player go down or stay up. But turning away does seem to work (or maybe we just notice it when it works and ignore it when it doesn't)

oh, no. it definitely works.