NHL'94 Forums

Idea: Remove the scoreboard and EA Logo in the gameplay

I have a ROM hack idea. How about removing the scoreboard and the EA Logo that is below the timer that is displayed during gameplay. So all you're left with is a small timer on the bottom left corner of the screen. By removing these things, it will create a larger screen size (I can't think of the word I'm looking for, but you know what I mean) so you can see more action. There's no need to have the scoreboard constantly displayed in the lower right corner of the screen during gameplay. This takes up screen area and is not necessary. Even the television networks that televise professional sports do not always have the scoreboard showing at all times. For example: When NFL games are televised, the television networks that are broadcasting the games remove the scoreboard during each play before the snap, this way the viewer can see more of the action without the scoreboard hiding some of the action. So my idea is to remove the scoreboard that is in the lower right corner and remove the EA logo that is in the lower left corner. So the only thing that is left displayed is a little timer that shows you how much time is left in the period.

What do you guys think of my idea?

I would love it if the score and clock overlays only showed up for a few seconds after the face off and then in the last two minutes of a period, ideally combined into the same popup frame.

So, from what I understand, it is possible to remove them. I figured trudatman would like this idea since how he feels about the highlighted stars. I think it would be great if someone can pull this off. It will make the gameplay have more surface area, the screen will look larger, more action can be seen, etc. That EA logo under the in-game timer is quite large, covers/hides a decent portion of the screen, and is completely pointless. And the in-game scoreboard is unnecessary as well... it should only be displayed after a goal is scored during the celebration.