NHL'94 Forums

GDL 9 - Trade Discussion Thread

DaDonch44

Allow Top 10 Pick to be Traded?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should any and all picks be allowed to be traded?

• Yes, open the flood gates.
    • No, keep the Top 10 picks locked from being traded.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Rangers receive:

- Patrick Roy

- Geoff Courtnall

Nashville Predators get:

- Grant Fuhr

- Sergei Federov

Confirmed

I object to this trade. Roy is a lot better than Fuhr. The difference between Courtnall and Fedorov isn't that great. They're both very good, but not elite players. Courtnall is actually faster than Fedorov.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

I object to this trade. Roy is a lot better than Fuhr. The difference between Courtnall and Fedorov isn't that great. They're both very good, but not elite players. Courtnall is actually faster than Fedorov.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

Kind of gotta agree w this one.. roy is top 5 player being traded for very minor upgrade IE courtnall into fedorov? court wud have to be 3rd-4th F to make this even.. this makes raph have 3 guys from the top 28 picks!

His starting 6 draft spots would be 1.7 1.17 2.4 2.20 6.4 6.7 lawl

To be fair, Hokkee pretty much made a lot more crazier trades than this one, but I'll defer to the council's judgement if they want to do this.

Kind of gotta agree w this one.. roy is top 5 player being traded for very minor upgrade IE courtnall into fedorov? court wud have to be 3rd-4th F to make this even.. this makes raph have 3 guys from the top 28 picks!

oh come on, Roy hasn't been a top 5 player 3 out of the last 4 years... the only exception being when Hokkee took him in Season 7. Seriously if people want to trade let them trade... unless it's just a horribly awful trade, I think NAFTA should apply. Getting an offensive upgrade (which I think everyone would agree Fedorov is compared to Courtnall) in exchange for the 3rd best goalie to the 1st or 2nd best goalie isn't a deal that anybody should interfere with.

New York Rangers receive:

- Patrick Roy

- Geoff Courtnall

Nashville Predators get:

- Grant Fuhr

- Sergei Federov

Based on average draft position (thanks donche) this trade is dead even. Feds n fuhr 25/27. Roy n courts 5 n 47.

ADP would mean trading roenick and last pick of 6th rd for a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder is a fair trade. shitty metric to use

I agree with Carse here. One team shouldn't have 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and 2 early 6th round picks in its starting lineup. These trades aren't fair.

Which trade wasn't fair and how weren't they fair exactly? Just because guys were picked in a specific round doesn't make them right by value. Example: hogue 3.7 he's been a 2 nd rounder numminen in3rd way too early

Based on average draft position (thanks donche) this trade is dead even. Feds n fuhr 25/27. Roy n courts 5 n 47.

You can't do it this way. The earlier a pick is, the more it is worth, disproportionately.

I came up with a formula like this:

1000/(10+draftposition) = rough value of player

so 5 and 47:

1000/(10+5) + 1000/(10+47) = 66.7 + 17.5 = 84.2

25 and 27

1000/(10+25) + 1000/(10+27) = 28.6 + 27.0 = 55.6

So the Roy side wins by about 50%

Really so ur saying Roy and courtnall is 50% better then fuhr and fedorov? Having a very hard time believing that. Again even a formula has is flaws

And again, this isn;t a straight up pick for pick trade. it's after the fact, it's player for player so using positions is only part of analyzing a trade.

also, factoring in is a persons preference that obviously varies. somone may want a top 5 star and an average guy, others may want two above average guys. so many variables that unless it's like a recchi for davydov type trade, it's all opinion/preference.

also, as smo and i just talked, the amount a player takes GC greatly decreases any advantages goalies have over other goalies. In B league, sure Roy is much better then fuhr, but in A where people take GC most of the time, having a top goalie isnt as great an advantage.

HAHAHA

BOOM Smoz-a-nomics nails it

Smoz-a-nomics also had your kovalenko for Lafontaine as a crap trade, so shut your pie hole and quit jumping on something cuz it agreed with you for the moment

Really so ur saying Roy and courtnall is 50% better then fuhr and fedorov? Having a very hard time believing that. Again even a formula has is flaws

I wrote " rough value of player", and i don't know how close this year's pick positions match the history.

If you take the top 6 draft spots of teams, they are worth around 100 total (more if you have an early pick, because they are worth a lot with the particular values i used above that work well for blitz, 1000 and 10), so the Roy side improves his team by about 30%. The formula gets a bit extreme near the start of the draft, so you could try changing the 10 to 15 or something like that to get a reduction in Roy's relative value, but the point about averaging picks like that stands, due to the bell curve values of players.

HAHAHA

Smoz-a-nomics also had your kovalenko for Lafontaine as a crap trade, so shut your pie hole and quit jumping on something cuz it agreed with you for the moment

Yeah trading 1 player for 1 player definitely requires a formula that is based on draft position. Smoz's whole point of posting that was to give a better metric for where they were drafting than your "AVERAGE DRAFT POSITION" claim. either way that trade is only 37.0 to 22.7.. still way better than iceguys.

they arent even comparable players.. one is top flight weight bugger to knock everyone over the other is a set-up guy. How can your "committee" deem which guy is a better fit on which team? I could understand if it was like courtnall for lafontaine then that wouldn't make sense and should be vetoed bc they are so similar, but these guys are nothing alike.

yes yes, you wanted to keep kovy :closedeyes:

yes yes, you wanted to keep kovy :closedeyes:

Maybe we should limit this to people who have >3% chance of winning the league if they are giving no data and just opinions.. afterall no one wants to hear from someone who isn't an expert. Or maybe just anyone who has won a league in this decade :o

Maybe we should limit this to people who have >3% chance of winning the league if they are giving no data and just opinions.. afterall no one wants to hear from someone who isn't an expert. Or maybe just anyone who has won a league in this decade :o

there's always that to fall back on when you're wrong.