NHL'94 Forums

Checking

smozoma

In the original game, all this did was affect the AI, so a higher checking rating meant the player threw more checks. Whether the check was successful or not depended just on the weight of the players involved and some magic sauce that I couldn't decipher in the code (probably related to how close he is to the boards, the relative motion of the players, etc etc)

With the weight bug fix, the checking rating is factored into the success of the check. A player with a high checking rating will be a better checker than a player with the same weight, but lower checking rating.

This is something I was discussing with Smoz on AIM, because the '13 Draft League Rom has kinda screwy checking ratings. I guess these ratings came from the official NHL '13 for modern systems.

For future roms, I think it would make sense for players checking rating to be something like:

Checking Rating = (Checks For / Time On Ice) * Team Multiplier

The "Team Multiplier" is a way to compensate for the statisticians in different arenas who may count more checks than guys in other arenas, because sometimes it's hard to determine exactly what constitutes a check. Smoz sent me this article with more details: http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/6/fixing-the-nhls-wonky-hit-statistics

Every team should be roughly equal, although some teams are obviously more physical than others.

It might be a little work to do this properly, but I think it would be worth it. Perhaps something that could be incorporated in future ROMs.

Checking Rating = (Checks For / Time On Ice) * Team Multiplier

I like that idea, however:

One important thing I didn't mention yet in the top post, is that with the weight bug fix, the average checking rating for players at a certain weight should go up slowly. It's explained in the documentation included with the Hack Applicator (see the .html page).

So I dont' think you can go straight to a Checking Rating from that formula because you need to also factor in the weight of the player, that a heavy player with an average number of hits should get a lower checking rating than a light player with the same number of hits.

There's also the matter that sometimes someone's role will give them more hits (like if he's an "energy line" guy his job is just to go out there and jump at people, doesn't mean he's actually an effective bodychecker)

I like that idea, however:

One important thing I didn't mention yet in the top post, is that with the weight bug fix, the average checking rating for players at a certain weight should go up slowly. It's explained in the documentation included with the Hack Applicator (see the .html page).

So I dont' think you can go straight to a Checking Rating from that formula because you need to also factor in the weight of the player, that a heavy player with an average number of hits should get a lower checking rating than a light player with the same number of hits.

There's also the matter that sometimes someone's role will give them more hits (like if he's an "energy line" guy his job is just to go out there and jump at people, doesn't mean he's actually an effective bodychecker)

Ah yeah, there should be some kind of weight bias. A better equation might be:

Checking Rating = (Checks For / Time On Ice) * (Weight Bias * Weight) * Team Multiplier

Edited by da94wookiee