NHL'94 Forums

The Ultimate Team Rankings

Hey, guys! I just checked ESPN.com and I found this list on which ones are the most popular teams based on a number of elements you'll see in the link? You'll never guess which NHL team ranks the highest on the list. Go on, guess!

Give up? It's the Phoenix Coyotes on 6th, followed by the Tampa Bay Lightning on 7th!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings

Hey, guys! I just checked ESPN.com and I found this list on which ones are the most popular teams based on a number of elements you'll see in the link? You'll never guess which NHL team ranks the highest on the list. Go on, guess!

Give up? It's the Phoenix Coyotes on 6th, followed by the Tampa Bay Lightning on 7th!

http://espn.go.com/s...on/teamrankings

What a crock of BS. Phoenix gets a perfect score for ownership and commitment to the community? Seriously? The NHL owns the team because no businessman in his right mind would ever want to own a hockey team in Phoenix Arizona... and they wasted millions of dollars of taxpayer money building an arena that nobody cared about until they won a playoff series last year.

http://espn.go.com/s...on/teamrankings

Then the St. Louis Blues!!!!!!!!!! haha

These people obviously aren't gamblers because they have the TTR (Championships already won or expected in the lifetime of current fans) at 75!!!!!

After 45 years and 0 cups everyone knows that the St. Louis Blues are cursed and will always be cursed.

Name another franchise that has exercised as many piss poor decisions as the St. Louis Blues. Here are a few examples.

1. Through 45 years the Blues have not drafted a player in the first round 19 times. 19 times. 19 times. Letting that sink in,,, 19 times. Including 1990 through 1995. 6 years in a row without a 1st round draft pick.

2. They're the only professional sports franchise of the 4 major sports (NHL NBA NFL MLB) to voluntarily not participate in a draft. Did you get that? They said thanks, but no thanks we're skipping the 1983 draft. They did so because the ownership of the Blues tried moving them out of St. Louis to Saskatoon and the NHL blocked it. So to get back at the NHL the owners said, we're not drafting so there. (brilliant) Some notable names from that draft include (Yzerman, Lafontaine, Barrasso, MacLean, R.Courtnall, Neely, Gagner, Hasek, Probert, Bradley, K.Stevens, Tocchet, & Fetisov just to name a few)

3. Scott Stevens. One of my all time favorite players. The Blues paid the Capitals 5 first round draft picks as compensation for signing Stevens because he was a RFA. Stevens played 1 year wearing the Blue note. 1 year. After that year the Blues signed Brendan Shanahan from Jersey. Shanahan was a RFA so for compensation Jersey wanted and got Stevens. You would think someone in St. Louis would have figured out this isn't exactly smart business but no it continues. After the 1993-94 season the Blues offered Stevens a contract. Five days later Jersey matched the deal and thus Stevens stayed in Jersey. But, Jersey found out that St.Louis had talked to Stevens before Free Agency had started. The league investigated for 5 years and concluded St. Louis had talked to Stevens before the start of FA. So guess what, Jersey was awarded 1.5million cash and 2 first round draft picks. So we the fans of St. Louis got to see Stevens play for 1 year at a cost of 7 1st round draft picks and a 1.5 mil cash payout. That level of stupidity will never again be matched.

4. Through all of the above stated facts the St. Louis Blues managed to make the playoffs 25 years straight. Starting from 79-80 and going through the 03-04 seasons. With 0 appearances in the finals. So they managed to raise the bar every year on disappointment level dished out to the fans for 25 straight yrs ;-)

5. The Blues are the last team (Thanks LA) from the original expansion 6 teams to never have won a cup.

So when your team is down and you're feeling bad,, just remember,,, it could be worse.

I will say that the Blues organization now does seem to get it from top to bottom. From connecting with the fans to trying to build within the draft. But,, we're cursed.

What's more, the Toronto Maple Leafs are rock bottom on that list.

...I know some people are not going to be happy with that.

What's more, the Toronto Maple Leafs are rock bottom on that list.

...I know some people are not going to be happy with that.

That's an American Sports Network for you. I know the Leafs are bad but the worst franchise in North America...

The Columbus Blue Jackets are a better franchise than the Leafs because tickets are cheaper? ESPN lol

Edited by TomKabs93

"Is it possible to be No. 122 with a bullet? After finishing 120th or 121st in the standings every year from 2008 to 2011, Toronto hiked prices 7.2 percent, cratered to 13th place in the NHL's Eastern Conference (GM Brian Burke said last season was "akin to an 18-wheeler going right off a cliff") and finally bottomed out in our rankings. The Leafs are like the Yankees -- an internationally famous franchise with a glorious history, devoted followers and staggeringly high prices -- except they play like the Royals. Even worse, they regularly blow off fans: In our surveys, the Leafs finished dead last among all teams in the categories of player accessibility, staging promotions and giveaways, and engaging fans through social media -- a hideous trifecta. And even though the team apologized for its performance in full-page newspaper ads in April, and Bell Canada and Rogers Communications, two of Canada's biggest media companies, just closed a deal to buy the club, there's little reason to expect change. The Leafs are by far the most valuable franchise in hockey and last year generated an enormous $81.8 million in profits. Now that's Loonie."

Isn't JUST because tickets are cheaper. They bring up other good points.

I think people are misinterpreting what this list is actually about. It's about the quality the fans get for the money they spend.

Keeping that in mind, it makes perfect sense that Phoenix would be the best and Toronto would be the worst....

Phoenix made it to the conference finals this year with the lowest ticket prices, parking, and concesions. Toronto missed the playoffs (once again) with the highest prices in all three categories.

And just for the record, Columbus did make the playoffs more recently than Toronto, in addition to the major difference in prices.

Edited by PRoBob38

The leafs have ranked last 5 years in a row for nhl teams in that survey.

...and with that post Halifax becomes the second bud in nhl94.com forum history to reach 5,000 posts. This is a cause for celebration.

tumblr_m7orny9AFr1rqsyja.gif

I think people are misinterpreting what this list is actually about. It's about the quality the fans get for the money they spend.

Keeping that in mind, it makes perfect sense that Phoenix would be the best and Toronto would be the worst....

Phoenix made it to the conference finals this year with the lowest ticket prices, parking, and concesions. Toronto missed the playoffs (once again) with the highest prices in all three categories.

And just for the record, Columbus did make the playoffs more recently than Toronto, in addition to the major difference in prices.

I get all that but I was making fun of how high their rating is for the Blues winning it all in our lifetime. We're cursed dude.