NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 7 Playoff Predictions

dcicon5148

This is only for A as one of the B guys can handle B knowing the teams and players better. Feel free to comment or add to it.

~~~~~

PHI vs NYR (Season Series : PHI 4-0)

Prediction : PHI 4-2

Philidelphia dominated the Blitz regular season with the two headed monster of Recchi and Ciccarelli and don't seem to be slowing down yet. A sibling matchup will keep this series close as not even Mario and Fuhr will be able to control this loaded team. The clear front runner for the A league title should be able to get out of this series in 6.

PIT vs VAN (Season Series : PIT 3-1)

Prediction : PIT 4-3

Pittsburgh might have the deeper team in this series but Klima and company should be able to close. One thing in Blitz is that you never bet against Yzerman and this will be no different. This one could go either way but I give the edge to Yzerman/Sakic over Klima/Ridley.

ANH vs MTL (Season Series : Tied 2-2)

Prediction : ANH 4-3

Flip a coin for this one, it's that close. I'll go with Anahiem being able to outscore Montreal with the Roenick/Tikkanen combo. You never like to bet against the defending champion but I just think winning Blitz 6 coupled with lower draft picks really hurt Montreal. This will be an instant classic for sure.

CHI vs DAL (Season Series : Tied 2-2)

Prediction : CHI 4-2

If there is one team that can take out the Dallas powerhouse, it's Chicago. Three 50 goal scorers and the underrated Ranford in net plus Chicago's playoff experience might just be too much for Dallas to handle. If Dallas's offense gets hot this could go the other way but my guess is that the Chicago Trapon will keep things in line.

Nice write-up!

I like all your predictions except for CHI :P . I'll take DAL in 7.

Interesting note - the A league has only had 2 teams finish their regular season with 3 players scoring over 100 points. Both happened this season with CHI (Muller/Turgeon/Ruzicka) and DAL (Selanne/Neely/Sanderson). FYI, CHI (Zalex) also accomplished this in season 04 (Roenick/Modano/Ruzicka) in the B league.

I'll take PHI in 5, PIT in 6, then MTL and CHI in 7 in what will be two instant classics. I'm inspired, so I'll take a shot at B...

WSH vs TOR (season series: 3-1 TOR)

The high-hitting Maple Leafs completed a dominant regular season, scoring and checking at ridiculously high levels. This could be a bit of a tough 1st round matchup for them, however. Playing against a team that likes to slow it down and sit back and play rope-a-dope, the Leafs will have to be aware of the counter-attack and finish their opportunities. In the end, Toronto wins it in 5, but not without some pesty battles from Sandstrom and Co.

I will not predict the OTT-TB series (regular season series: 3-1 TB), but expect to see a lot of checking and not a ton of scoring.

WPG vs NJ (season series: 3-1 NJ)

Very interesting matchup. The Jets have so much balance, with speed up front and mutants on D. The Devils have a lot of firepower up front, and scored 8, 7, and 4 goals in their 3 regular season wins over WPG. Can the Jets find a way to contain Fedorov, Kamensky, and Bondra? In the end, they fall short. New Jersey in 7.

Quebec vs St. Louis (season series: 3-1 QUE... 3 OT wins)

Very different teams battling in this one. The star-studded Blues and the meat-and-potato Nordiques. Quebec's highest scorer was Trevor Linden, who ranked 11th in the B league with 89 points. So how have they gotten where they are? An insane ability to not lose close games. 8-0 in OT. Their opponent? Well, they have Mogilny, who scored more goals than Linden had points. Their goal differential is outstanding, compared to Quebec who was just even.... But Quebec wins in 6. Because St. Louis will not be winning in blowout fashion, and the Blues are 0-5 in OT, compared to Quebec's 8-0. One team's been battle tested and can grind out wins, and that will benefit them greatly in these playoffs.

• PHI CARSE -290
  • NYR BO +290
  • (Season Series : PHI 4-0)
    Prediction : NYR BO 4-3 +290
    Bo has been on a tear in GDL but so has Carse. These guys seem to matchup in the first round every single season! Its nuts and most of the series have gone till that final game 7. I think this will also goto 7 and just maybe we can ride on the Bo Magic train!
    PIT SOH -255
  • VAN DAWOOKIE +255
  • (Season Series : PIT 3-1)
    Prediction : PIT 4-2 -255
    SOHOMO is having a great season, I think his best blitz season to date. Wookie's first season in blitz has been pretty up and down. I'll give this to SOH even though he is the perennial choker he could make some noise these playoffs. Leading the league in GAA, SOH usually known to have very high GAA and be able to out score opponents. This season hes scoring and keeping the puck out.
    ANH HABS -115
  • MTL FREYDEY +115
  • (Season Series : Tied 2-2)
    Prediction : ANH 4-3 -115
    This is going to be a tight one. Frey is having a pretty underachieving regular season finishing under .500. But as we all know playoffs are a totally different story. Pretty much the team nobody wants to play in the first round. The best goalie control in the game. Both teams are ranked 6 and 7 in scoring this season and had lack luster offenses. This is a rematch of last season where MTL as the 4th seed and ANA as 5th seed, MTL won in convincing fashion in 5 games to eventually advance to cup champs. We'll see if revengas is coming.

• CHI ZALEX PK
  • DAL KINGRAPH PK (Season Series : Tied 2-2)
    Prediction : CHI 4-3 PK

• These are two top teams and this will be another epic series. Both are consistent contenders. Only a single point seperated these two teams in the standings. Really a flip of the coin, but I'm going with Zalex's playoff experience to pull it out in game 7. Both teams have very high powered and balanced attacks on offense with each team posessing three forwards with 99+ points. Classic series.

ODDS TO WIN CUP

CARSE +150

ZALEX +300

KINGRAPH +300

SOH +320

HABS +320

FREY +350

BOKNOWS +900

DAWOOKIE +1700

ASSTORM +4021349

WSH vs TOR (season series: 3-1 TOR)

The high-hitting Maple Leafs completed a dominant regular season, scoring and checking at ridiculously high levels. This could be a bit of a tough 1st round matchup for them, however. Playing against a team that likes to slow it down and sit back and play rope-a-dope, the Leafs will have to be aware of the counter-attack and finish their opportunities. In the end, Toronto wins it in 5, but not without some pesty battles from Sandstrom and Co.

If I win a game i'll be delighted! lol. I have hardly played in the last couple of months, & Wookie's on all the time, in addition to being the better player & probably having the better team. The Caps are up against it big time in this one!

If I win a game i'll be delighted! lol. I have hardly played in the last couple of months, & Wookie's on all the time, in addition to being the better player & probably having the better team. The Caps are up against it big time in this one!

Tested my wireless connection with Eggink last night. Pretty poor, v choppy, so it looks like we'll have to wait until I get back into my apartment next week. The guys doing the work are talking about Tuesday or Wednesday I think, so with my work commitments I think next Friday night is going to be best. If not Saturdays & Sundays are fine.

Oddsmaster HABS!

I take:

* PHI/Carse -290. Less than 3-1 odds won't convince me to bet against him.

* PIT/SOH - 255. Playing great with this team.

* MTL/Freydey +115. I never bet against the current champ...and I'm getting underdog odds!

* DAL/KingRaph PK. I hope I fkin win. lol

In B,

TOR/Wookie in 4. Record setting season by TOR. Messier and Co. are scary. While Robbie may win a game, I'm betting on the sweep.

TB/Sicarius in 5. A great season, overshadowed by TOR. I love this team's balance of speed (Ronning), power (C. Lemieux), shot (Roberts), and goalie (Belfour)!

WPG/eggink in 7. A coin-flip for me. The regular season were all close games...should be a great series. eggink threw a '94 Rager in his backyard, so the '94 gods on his side. B)

QUE/kupuck in 6. No idea, but kupuck just beat me 3 out of 4 in '13, so I go with him. :P It's a one man show in Mogilny vs spread of Linen/Oates/Eklund.

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out! Good luck everyone, and remember to record your games