NHL'94 Forums

6-button Controller Round-up

jer_33

• 1 month later...

Controller question - With the gens.exe emulator yall use, after setting the buttons, I am having a problem where everything cycles super fast, its too fast. Ive used other emualtors and had no problem with my controller. any suggestions what i may be doing wrong or something i can try? thx.

Edited by TexasPachyderm

Controller question - With the gens.exe emulator yall use, after setting the buttons, I am having a problem where everything cycles super fast, its too fast. Ive used other emualtors and had no problem with my controller. any suggestions what i may be doing wrong or something i can try? thx.

You may have set player 1 and Player 2 to the same controller by accident. Try setting the 2nd player controls to some random keyboard keys.

I think you have a (stuck or sensitive) button registering for each slot. analog sticks that also function as buttons are notorious for that issue. it could also just be registering the slightest lean in a direction of one of the sticks as every spot. good luck. there are very few emulator/controller combos that I don't have such problems with. I can't get Fusion nor any NES emulators to work with any of my various controllers.

You may have set player 1 and Player 2 to the same controller by accident. Try setting the 2nd player controls to some random keyboard keys.

Well thanks, that actually fixed the first problem i was having. Now on the menu screens everything flips at the correct pace. i can scroll thru the menu with my d-pad.

Then I start a game and the d-pad doesnt seem to work, and the buttons i assigned are out of place. Running the Fusion emulator my controller works fine. hoping to get this one working to play someone, guess i could get a new controller, but like my Logitech.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Well thanks, that actually fixed the first problem i was having. Now on the menu screens everything flips at the correct pace. i can scroll thru the menu with my d-pad.

Then I start a game and the d-pad doesnt seem to work, and the buttons i assigned are out of place. Running the Fusion emulator my controller works fine. hoping to get this one working to play someone, guess i could get a new controller, but like my Logitech.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Hmm, that's strange. The buttons should work correctly after you map them, I'm not sure why they would be different in game.

Here's the tutorial we have on setting up to play '94 on GENS, not sure it'll solve your problem, but this is how I've normally started playing:

it sounds like it's registered to the 2nd player (which would let you scroll in the main menu but not be able to control the home team) Are you able to pause it and switch out the visiting goalie and edit away lines?

tried all that, same problem. i am controlling the right team, d-pad
just barely works, the player kinda rotates but doesnt skate forward. i
assign the a-button but it comes out as the c-button, and others are out
of place. my controller works fine on the Fusion emulator, which makes
this weird. anyways, thanks to all for the assistance, ill try and
figure something else out.

im on a windows7-64 bit machine and have a Logitech Dual Action Controller.

Edited by TexasPachyderm

Oldie but goodie, that was the first controller I ever used for classic. could just be a wonky or beat up d-pad. is it the one with the button above the left analog stick? try and configure it with that button pressed so the red l.e.d. is lit up

• 2 weeks later...

Up and running now, got a new controller, thanks for the comments. if anyone is around to try out a game with me one night this week, please let me know. thx.

I can probably be around late night (11 pm EST) if you're around. Not sure what time zone you're in.

• 3 weeks later...

SEGASaturnUSBRev.jpg

Features:
  • Classic 6 button layout
  • 8-way Directional Pad
  • 2x shoulder buttons
  • Ergonomic design
Price:

$75-$100+

Availability:

New and used on Amazon, eBay Stores, Japanese Import Sites

Review:

Reissued in 2004, these Saturn USB pads were designed for use on PC/MAC, so they require little or no setup on your computer. They are solidly built and have one of the best dpads in the business. This gamepad is in extremely high demand, and given its limited production it is very hard to find. On ebay you'll find them anywhere from $60-$200, averaging around $90. This will put it out of the price range of most players, so your best bet is to keep your eye out for a deal on ebay, amazon or on the shelf of your local pawn shop.

Borrowing it's design and layout from the original 90's Saturn gamepad (and it's PS2 reissue), the ergonomic shape will feel very familiar. It's a touch smaller than the original Sega 6-button pad for the Genesis, and I would imagine that if you have big hands that it might feel a bit small.

The buttons and the dpad have not been rivaled by any 3rd party controllers in my opinion. The dpad is tight, allowing for precise movements and the buttons have a nice jump to them.

With reference to NHL '94, this is the king of controllers. Ability to make tight moves, quick stops and turns and tight goalie control. It just feels so familiar to press the rubbery start button, and mash away at the indented ABC buttons. I feel that with some practice, this controller could very well improve a players game.

There are several versions of this pad. There is the original Saturn version which requires a USB adapter, the PS2 version which requires it's own USB adapter, and finally this natively USB version. WARNING: There are a variety of knock-offs with very similar designs (Retrolink, GTron,Playsega), so before you make a purchase off ebay be sure to ask if there is a "SLS" sticker on the back. Without a box, this sticker is the only thing that will differentiate the real thing from the knock-offs. There were a variety of colour combinations made during their 2004 production run, so don't be surprised to find some wacky combinations.

This is my favourite controller as of now, though admittedly will take a while to get used to the responsiveness. I look forward to playing many Classic games in the future with the Saturn USB in my hands.

On a scale of 1-10, I will be rating this one a 9.5. (I would give it a 10, but nothing is ever perfect..)

Great thread and review.

It's the Cadillac of old school game pads, or something. I actually gave two of these away during season 1 and 2 of the NHL91.com league after the playoffs.

To me, the d-pad actually improves over time as the membrane that closes the circuit becomes broken in, similar to the heel on a new pair of shoes. There are variety's of this style that were made by ASCII for Dreamcast that actually improve on the design, but there is a large memory slot for the VMU in the back that can make it uncomfortable to cradle.

As you alluded to, knock-offs are ubiquitous, but the PCB's are practically identical in size to the real deal. All you have to do it buy the cheapest knock-off you can find, and then swap the internals with an original, and you're set; way cheaper than buying the real thing.

If you're after an original, then the best bet is to try Yahoo! Japan auctions with a translator. They won't ship it outside of Japan, so, you'll have to know someone who lives there, preferably around Akihabara or you'll have to pay for shipping twice.

And I'm not only a member of the Saturn USB club, I'm also el Presidente

i8Hc69c.jpg

Bonus pic for the keyboard players who're feeling left out; the best keyboard ever: 1986, IBM, Model M with buckling springs.

JeEKNEc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That 6-button SEGA you have pictured above is my controller of choice. Comfortable size, tight d-pad, 6-buttons, made-to-last quality! It's the one I'd recommend to people who play with controllers.

The standard 3-button controller feels enormous now, but I do like the d-pad on that one too. It'd probably be my second choice, but lacking 6-buttons is a problem with some of the new ROMS with "Y" button goalie hacks. There's a 6-button with turbo that looks similar, but the d-pad is too loose and it just feels funny.

Is that the 1653 model?

Yes! Jer reviewed it earlier, and you can also see this riveting review from JuanitoShet:

The ending was scary.

Awesome thanks, I ordered a genuine used one of these as I remember it being the best controller, and like you said the turbo one was trash, and wanted to make sure I didn't get that one.

Joined waiting list for the Gen league, I got the rom all set up, but won't have a USB controller adapter until Tuesday to get verified, who should I try, and contact to set up a game to get verified when I get it?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

HORI PS3 Real Arcade Pro V3 SA KAI

post-461-0-02008000-1434521181_thumb.jpg

Features:

8 Button lay out

Ability to toggle select and start button to avoid accidental pausing

Increased spacing between stick lever and buttons for increased comfort

Real Sanwa Arcade parts used throughout the controller

3 speed Turbo Function

Price:

$88 via gamestop online

Review:

While the Hori arcade stick may be a fantastic option for playing Street Fighter or any other fighting game on a home console, it is a near useless accessory for NHL 94 use via the PC.

First the good, the buttons are super responsive and allow for multiple fingers to access the buttons to quickly spit out some powerful CB checks, quickly adjust to manual goalie or unleash a wicked one-timer. Due to the 8 button set up, it's a snap to be able to set up the buttons needed in a format that is most comfortable for the user. The arcade stick also has a quality build feel to it. Its very sturdy and weighs just enough yet is light enough to maintain incredible balance. A slip resistant bottom will also come in handy for those stressful playoff matchups against the top players in your online A league.

If you took the time to read the previous paragraph, my deepest apologies as the joystick has been relegated to being largely useless due to the limitations of our emulator software. Despite the joystick being incredibly adept at pulling off dragon punches and SPD's it comes up well short in any and all deke categories as the emulator struggles to recognize the 360 degree movement of the joystick. Players react sluggishly, if at all and destroys what should be a fantastic gaming experience.

If you're looking to get all arcade up in your online leagues think again as this quality set up has been wrecked by the emulator experience.

Rating: 0/10

• 3 months later...

HORIFC4Fightpad.png

Features:

Adjustable d-pad

Adjustable diagonal input sensitivity

6-button layout

10 buttons total

Turbo feature

Price:

$50-$75

Availability:

New from Amazon, Newegg, Ebay

Review:

Alright, time for an update. I've owned this controller since the Fall of 2015, buying it shortly after attending KO94 in Toronto. I was lucky enough to win a copy of NHL16 for XBone which I was able to flip for the cash to purchase this controller, so thanks McMikey for the free controller!

I've owned one other Hori pad that I enjoyed, the Hori EX2. That said, this one suits my style much better - with larger buttons and more standard d-pad placement. I used it briefly before deciding that wanted to stick to the original Gens model to keep some consistency for the many emerging live events. But this beauty just kept calling to me from the gaming shelf.

Well crafted, no hassle setup, and very responsive. The thing I like best about Hori's design, is the ability to tweak the sensitivity of the d-pad. I know a lot of guys will say that the adjustment would make little/no difference - but you can really can "feel" the difference. D-pad feels great , and the 6 large buttons can put up with your repetitive abuse.

I've heard a lot of talk about the odd shape, but it really does feel great in your hands. If I had to complain about anything, I'd whine "about the flat, low profile buttons - insisting that the original indented buttons of the classic controllers were superior". But reality being what it is, it's a small arguement and certainly wouldn't stop me from recommending this to anyone.

I managed to win a C title with the EX2, and had my best B season/playoffs with the FC4. I don't think that is a coincidence (though I did have BUF/Mogs in both of those Classics B)).

All in all, I think this controller positively checks out all the boxes required to emulate a mid-90's hockey game and would provide solid play in any gaming style on PC.

On a scale of 1-10, I will give the FC4 '9 sticky start buttons', slightly better than it's predecessor but just a hair under the OEM Sega models.

StartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.pngStartBut.png

Edited by jer_33

HORIFC4Fightpad.png

Features:

Adjustable d-pad

Adjustable diagonal input sensitivity

6-button layout

10 buttons total

Turbo feature

Price:

$50-$75

Availability:

New from Amazon, Newegg, Ebay