NHL'94 Forums

6-button Controller Round-up

jer_33

So I finally got around to trying out these replacement rubber pads.

I ordered another Sega 6-button (MK-1653), and tore it all apart. Washed all of the plastic bits with soap and water, took some alcohol to the contacts on the board itself, and put it all back together with the new rubber pads.

The d-pad feels great, honestly though it probably wasn't that worn out.

The buttons on the other hand, now have a stiffer feel to them (like a new controller, I suppose). Slowly working them in - and getting used to the feel.

So far so good.

Boom! Thanks for the update....I'm ordering like 10 of these based on that alone. :lol:

Boom! Thanks for the update....I'm ordering like 10 of these based on that alone. :lol:

Here is his ebay listing - free shipping and better prices than his web store:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sega-Genesis-6-Button-Controller-Repair-Kit-Conductive-Pads-Lot-of-10-/181849067381

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sega-Genesis-6-Button-Controller-Repair-Kit-Conductive-Pads-Lot-of-10-/181849067381

Dang, ordered them already! Might be worth looking for broken 6-button controllers to fix now.

I just ordered myself a set as well, thanks for posting!

Can you simply use a small screwdriver to get inside those controllers or do you need a special tool?

Remarkably simple inside. One thing to do once you've got the controller opened up, is to clean the contacts on the board itself. Rubbing Alcohol works well, and will evaporate quickly.

A quick video I found, just to familiarize yourself with all of the inner workings.

So I was doing some further research on pads and came across this ebayer who sells all sorts of gens controllers.

As some of you know, I prefer the "claw" style (name courtesy of Raph) when I play so I'm trying to find a larger pad overall to better accommodate my right hand.

I reached out to Backyardguillotine and he had a lot of great information in his reply to me about responsiveness, pad placement, etc.

Really helpful and I recommend you reach out to him as well if you have questions or are looking to purchase a more customized 3rd party controller.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/backyardguillotine?euid=65d7e9b2fdfd48758c69490421fd11aa&cp=1&exe=13453&ext=34391&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

If you want a larger, 6-button pad I would whole-heartedly recommend the older madcatz fightpad for XBOX360(USB), or PS3(wireless).

Check your local Gamestop for these, they should be discounted ($10-12): http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-wwe-all-stars-brawl-pad/89175

Wanted to throw this out there as well.. there is a company selling replacement d-pad and button rubber to make those OEM Sega 6-button controllers feel like new.

I've ordered some sets and will let you know how they work out.

Sega_Turbo_Controller_Conductive_Pads.60

https://mortoffgames.com/gameboy-color-conductive-pad-set-p62-p202-p524.html

Just to note, the d-pad rubber will also work in the USB Saturn pads, but the 6 button pad is just slightly different.

If you want a larger, 6-button pad I would whole-heartedly recommend the older madcatz fightpad for XBOX360(USB), or PS3(wireless).

Check your local Gamestop for these, they should be discounted ($10-12): http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-wwe-all-stars-brawl-pad/89175

I try not to buy anything retro from Gamestop considering they have completely botched that implementation and their prices are complete rip offs with questionable quality.

With that said, I am going to purchase one of those off ebay or somewhere else. Thanks for the recco Jer!

By the way, that ebayer that I bought a 3rd party pad from sent me a freebie that he thought I might like as well. Good stuff!

I'll write a review when I get a chance.

I try not to buy anything retro from Gamestop considering they have completely botched that implementation and their prices are complete rip offs with questionable quality.

With that said, I am going to purchase one of those off ebay or somewhere else. Thanks for the recco Jer!

By the way, that ebayer that I bought a 3rd party pad from sent me a freebie that he thought I might like as well. Good stuff!

I'll write a review when I get a chance.

These are only a few years old - but still new in box. It's def worth a call to a couple local shops to see if they have any in stock at that price IMO. They were $40 new, discounted to $19 online and now they are just selling stock in stores (but might not be on display).

These are only a few years old - but still new in box. It's def worth a call to a couple local shops to see if they have any in stock at that price IMO. They were $40 new, discounted to $19 online and now they are just selling stock in stores (but might not be on display).

Good to know, I may just do that... thanks for heads up, Jer

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been playing with the replacement rubber pads for a few days and I think they are 95% great so far. Once a game or so, I hit a "dead spot", where the player takes a second or so to respond to the input. That part really sucks. Not sure if it's just the one I've tried so far, so I'll try another pair on another controller soon.

Definitely has a tighter feel than the original, but I would say this works fantastic as a replacement if your controller breaks. Worth the $1.50, but it's not performing 100%.

I watched a video where a guy puts a "dot" of conductive tape on the bottom of the conductive rubber in order to add a bit more to the closing of the loop. Might not hurt to try.

• 2 months later...

Anymore feedback on these things Raph or Jer?

Looking to improve and expand my original controller arsenal for Live events.

These are great, that dead spot was temporary. I used them on 3 different controllers already. It's a bit tighter than the original, but they've all been great so far. It's nice when you buy a used controller, clean it all up, replace the rubber pads and feel like you've gotten a brand new controller!

My next hobby will be to repaint/custom paint a controller! I know others do this for the modern consoles, but it'd be cool to do one for Genesis.

I think I was the only person using the original 3 button boat at the live tournament. I actual use a USB SNES controller to play. It kinda blows because it has a turbo option that suddenly turns on at times. Huge disadvantage and costs me goals every now and then. It also sometimes scores a goal by accident as I can suddenly do Seth like quick wrist shots. I really can't recommend it at all. If you get the B button on turbo you can't change to goalie. Really terrible. If you get c on turbo, you can do some sweet checks, but you can't slap shoot.

Anyway, maybe one day I'll bring out the ole 3 button, but as it sits I just deal with inconsistency.

I think I was the only person using the original 3 button boat at the live tournament. I actual use a USB SNES controller to play. It kinda blows because it has a turbo option that suddenly turns on at times. Huge disadvantage and costs me goals every now and then. It also sometimes scores a goal by accident as I can suddenly do Seth like quick wrist shots. I really can't recommend it at all. If you get the B button on turbo you can't change to goalie. Really terrible. If you get c on turbo, you can do some sweet checks, but you can't slap shoot.

Anyway, maybe one day I'll bring out the ole 3 button, but as it sits I just deal with inconsistency.

why not get a new controller?

for pc there's like 50000 options

I bought a wired xbox 360 pc controller in hopes to use for NHL94... everything is pretty responsive except for 1 important thing... the dpad doesn't really work. The Up Down Left Right are slower to respond and the diagonals don't work at all. Obviously the movement is limited. Anyone out there have a solution for me?

I bought a wired xbox 360 pc controller in hopes to use for NHL94... everything is pretty responsive except for 1 important thing... the dpad doesn't really work. The Up Down Left Right are slower to respond and the diagonals don't work at all. Obviously the movement is limited. Anyone out there have a solution for me?

I've had same issue with new controller I bought a few years ago. Diagonals don't work. Sucks because it's a tight controller.

Would love if someone finally figured it out.

Is it the standard Microsoft controller?

If so you have a couple of options:

1. Use the analog stick instead of the d-pad

2. Map GENS to the keyboard, and use a program like XPadder to program the d-pad.

Is it the standard Microsoft controller?

If so you have a couple of options:

1. Use the analog stick instead of the d-pad

2. Map GENS to the keyboard, and use a program like XPadder to program the d-pad.

Hey jer, thanks for getting back. It's an official Microsoft wired 360 pc controller. I've been using the analog stick and I lose a lot of control vs the dpad so that's I'm trying to figure this out.

I'm not even sure how to do anything you mentioned in #2 but I guess I can do some research to test it out.

Ok, here's what I found.

The D Pad joysticks that come with analog sticks do not work under the regular GENS-NETSAVE without additional software, or at least every one I've ever tried failed & I've tried like 6 different company's joysticks. I think I got the D Pad to work on a the GENS+ netsave once, but the GENS+ software is a pain for me, and it gives me other issues. I'll test this again tonight when I get home and update.

Using my Sony PS3 joystick, I was then able to use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick, but needed to do the following:

Download Motionjoy (enjoy the Trojan virus that usually comes with the program). Debug the computer. Run Motionjoy and setup the joystick using the D-Pad in the configurator.

This worked great for me and I used it on my old laptop. I liked the Sony D Pad better than a GENS controller. However, once I upgraded to a NEW PC, I wasn't willing to deal with all the trojan virus garbage associated w/ downloading/using Motionjoy (google and read about it before getting it). So, I then switched to X1 joystick and I use the analog sticks, and it's the only analog sticks I find that work the same as D Pads for control.

It should be noted that while these analog sticks work great, the joysticks are known to break, so I bought mine at Best Buy (X1 for PC) for $49.99 and bought the $5 2 yr warranty. My first one I bought broke right as GDL began, and combined with playing drunk, didn't lead to the best play. Once I sobered up, I realized the analog stick wasn't configuring correctly, and spent 2 weeks trying to figure it out before I just bought a new one at the above price.

Also, on a side a note, I find the analog X1 to work better in certain areas, and worse in others, but it does even out to the overall same level of game play, imo. AND, having fresh buttons and NEVER having thumb cramps, thumb callous to deal with, thumb blisters, etc. because the analog doesn't require you to "mash" on it is a real solid for me.

The fact that it's a plug and play without require adapters/additional drivers and will work on anyone's CPU is another big bonus.

BUT, I've played all the newer games, and I'm used to analog much more than some on this site, I think.

Anyhow, the D Pad on the X1, like all the other analog joysticks doesn't work the same because it's a differently programmed function for that joystick. I'll play with it later tonight to see if it works on GENS+.

Will look to try this on the weekend. Looks like the issue with the XBOX wired controller is in the Microsoft driver - there are a few alternative drivers out there that will allow for 8 direction d-pad movement.

Some links (for my own reference):

http://archive.jonnys-place.com/index.php?topic=10495.0

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=456.0

http://vba-m.com/forum/thread-668.html

The XBCD driver looks especially promising.

Jer

Edited by jer_33

HORIFC4Fightpad.png

Features:

Adjustable d-pad

Adjustable diagonal input sensitivity

6-button layout

10 buttons total

Turbo feature

Price:

$50-$75

Availability:

New from Amazon, Newegg, Ebay

Review:

Coming Soon...

No review yet!?

I have one of these too and can vouch for it being the best controller for I have used in my life of gaming (gens, ps1/ps2, xbox/360/one, n64/wii).

It works well for a variety of different emu-systems, is incredibly solid, and has the "right" amount of customization for me.

That in mind, the d-pad is only 4 way (sorry no 8-way), but this in no way inhibits the functioning of the controller. Switch from DP to LS and you get an analog feel. Turn the dial on the front and you can make the d-pad angled from 0-10-20 degrees. Turn the controller over and you can customize how sensitive the d-pad is to the diagonals.

Last pluses - it works if you have a ps3/ps4, was plug-and-play for me (Win 8.1), and has 13 customizable buttons in total!

Edited by ba55i5t

jer_33, on 23 Oct 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:snapback.png

Wanted to throw this out there as well.. there is a company selling replacement d-pad and button rubber to make those OEM Sega 6-button controllers feel like new.

I've ordered some sets and will let you know how they work out.

Sega_Turbo_Controller_Conductive_Pads.60

https://mortoffgames...-p202-p524.html

These are the best. It is like 1990 all over again.

The controllers are like new.

I now have 2 like brand new 6 button controllers and 8 like brand new 3 button.

I highly recommend these.