NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94' 20th Anniversary - What are we doing?

jbalicki10

On a serious note, what a great shame that it appears there won't be some sort of EA co-ordinated/sponsored event.

This legendary game, that really changed the genre forever, and who's influence can still be seen in today's games really deserves some special recognition.

How many games are going to this popular & actually attracting new players 20 years after it's release?!

It appears a huge marketing opportunity for EA is going to be missed here. I would have thought packaging Clockwise's 2014 update & the Classic 94 weight bug fixed rom (If we're talking GENS) with the latest EA 2014 game would have been an absolute no brainer.

Disappointing there'll be no big commemorative event............................unless Halifax, Chaos & Evan have something up their sleeves? :exciting:

To be fair.. the 25th anniversay would be the ideal and is much more commonly celebrated.

But if guys want to try and get a 20th together I'd be willing to help plan and brainstorm some ideas.

It would be a much easier sell if we could package an anniversary event with another big event - either hockey related or gaming related.

- hockey playoffs

- hockey Hall of Fame

- hockey entry draft

- hockey festival / hockey day in canada

etc..

On a serious note, what a great shame that it appears there won't be some sort of EA co-ordinated/sponsored event.

This legendary game, that really changed the genre forever, and who's influence can still be seen in today's games really deserves some special recognition.

How many games are going to this popular & actually attracting new players 20 years after it's release?!

It appears a huge marketing opportunity for EA is going to be missed here. I would have thought packaging Clockwise's 2014 update & the Classic 94 weight bug fixed rom (If we're talking GENS) with the latest EA 2014 game would have been an absolute no brainer.

Disappointing there'll be no big commemorative event............................unless Halifax, Chaos & Evan have something up their sleeves? :exciting:

Great shame? Chill out, dude. It's a great little community we have here, but EA Sports sold 353,000 copies of FIFA '13 in ONE DAY. You really think EA Sports cares about 100 people who play a bootlegged free version of their hockey game from 20 yeas ago? There's really only about 35 serious genesis players who have been active in online leagues for multiple seasons, and we are spread out all over the world. Let me do the math for you: 35 is 0.01% of 353,000. The New York City area BBQ only got 4 people from the online community with a couple months lead time. It was fun, but a corporate sponsorship is laughable.

There are legal and financial issues with packaging NHL '94 with NHL '14... first of all, the NHL and NHLPA don't even have an agreement with each other right now. That's kind of a big deal. I've never played NHL '04, but I've been told that it had the classic '94 game on it without player names because of issues with licensing player likeness. That's lame.

Bottom line: Who has the time and money to travel long distance for an NHL '94 event? I've made it to 2 live tournaments in Philadelphia (2 hours from where I live), and I was the only one from the online community to make it. Those were fun, but I doubt I'd be able to travel somewhere like Toronto to do something that I can do from the comfort of my apartment.

Great shame? Chill out, dude. It's a great little community we have here, but EA Sports sold353,000 copies of FIFA '13 in ONE DAY. You really think EA Sports cares about 100 people who play a bootlegged free version of their hockey game from 20 yeas ago? There's really only about 35 serious genesis players who have been active in online leagues for multiple seasons, and we are spread out all over the world. Let me do the math for you: 35 is 0.01% of 353,000. The New York City area BBQ only got 4 people from the online community with a couple months lead time. It was fun, but a corporate sponsorship is laughable.

There are legal and financial issues with packaging NHL '94 with NHL '14... first of all, the NHL and NHLPA don't even have an agreement with each other right now. That's kind of a big deal. I've never played NHL '04, but I've been told that it had the classic '94 game on it without player names because of issues with licensing player likeness. That's lame.

Bottom line: Who has the time and money to travel long distance for an NHL '94 event? I've made it to 2 live tournaments in Philadelphia (2 hours from where I live), and I was the only one from the online community to make it. Those were fun, but I doubt I'd be able to travel somewhere like Toronto to do something that I can do from the comfort of my apartment.

Well if it comes down to economics I think that's the wrong reasons. I think it would be great if they acknowledged the success of the game & it's dynasty. Not because they can make money out of an event, but because it would be a great thing to do. I also believe a nod to the past can help reinforce a brand in the future..............Wii had a reboot of the first Resident evil game before it released Resident Evil 4. Did that help boost resident evil 4 sales on Wii just by getting the name & brand on the console? Who knows. One of those advertising intangibles perhaps?

Would including '94 on NHL14 help boost sales to people that perhaps wouldn't have bothered otherwise, but a little nostalgia bonus brings them back to the brand? I believe other classic games have been put in with modern games as freebies in the past? OAPs like me who loved '94 back in the day, but perhaps don't play on a PC or belong to this community may be swayed.

You make a good point about the licensing though. That's certainly an obstacle to repackaging 94 with a modern game.

All in all I find the lack of enthusiasm for some sort of event to mark 20 years a bit of a shame..................Is it OK if I have that opinion?

I've never played NHL '04, but I've been told that it had the classic '94 game on it without player names because of issues with licensing player likeness. That's lame.

Yeah that was NHL '06. 'Twas lame indeed.

Well if it comes down to economics I think that's the wrong reasons. I think it would be great if they acknowledged the success of the game & it's dynasty. Not because they can make money out of an event, but because it would be a great thing to do. I also believe a nod to the past can help reinforce a brand in the future..............Wii had a reboot of the first Resident evil game before it released Resident Evil 4. Did that help boost resident evil 4 sales on Wii just by getting the name & brand on the console? Who knows. One of those advertising intangibles perhaps?

Would including '94 on NHL14 help boost sales to people that perhaps wouldn't have bothered otherwise, but a little nostalgia bonus brings them back to the brand? I believe other classic games have been put in with modern games as freebies in the past? OAPs like me who loved '94 back in the day, but perhaps don't play on a PC or belong to this community may be swayed.

You make a good point about the licensing though. That's certainly an obstacle to repackaging 94 with a modern game.

All in all I find the lack of enthusiasm for some sort of event to mark 20 years a bit of a shame..................Is it OK if I have that opinion?

I just wanna say there's no shame at all. "No shame in the game" as I've heard it said. Big thanks to Halifax, Chaos, Evan, smozoma, DaDonch, Plabax, KingRaph, Dan and everyone else who keeps these great online leagues going year after year. Also, thanks to EggInk for doing a sweet BBQ last month at his house in Jersey. Maybe we can plan something similar for 2013, with more people involved.

Robbie: If you wanna organize a big event, go for it. If you wanna type out a bunch of nonsense expressing your shame and disappointment, maybe you should think twice.

This website *IS* that special recognition.

At the very least we should be planning a commemorative 20th Anniv ROM and running several prized-up tournaments.

NHL'94 week.

Robbie: If you wanna organize a big event, go for it. If you wanna type out a bunch of nonsense expressing your shame and disappointment, maybe you should think twice.

Man, yet again you go totally over the top about someone else's opinion.........an opinion that they're perfectly entitled to have. I've no idea what it's got to do with you anyway, let alone why you think you're entitled to get rude & obnoxious about it?! Where do you get off basically telling someone to shut up on here?

Starting to think you've got some serious issues to be honest.

Man, yet again you go totally over the top about someone else's opinion.........an opinion that they're perfectly entitled to have. I've no idea what it's got to do with you anyway, let alone why you think you're entitled to get rude & obnoxious about it?! Where do you get off basically telling someone to shut up on here?

Starting to think you've got some serious issues to be honest.

My only issue is you and your intense negativity.

There's only one way to solve this dispute: ROUND 1 OF BLITZ PLAYOFFS

koolaid_oohya_icon949.jpg

There's only one way to solve this dispute: ROUND 1 OF BLITZ PLAYOFFS

Hmmmm, not sure. An in practice A player vs an out of practice B player. Bit of a mismatch really..............AA meetings might be a better long term solution.

My only issue is you and your intense negativity.

I'm really tired of all this BS. Can the other mods have a word with this joker please. I completely ignored him since the last time he started all this crap. Can't be bothered to do it again.........................apparently wanting a big 20th anniversary event is "Intense negativity"?!!!................What?!

Wook and Robbie: You guys have to post the video of these games. s**t's gonna be intense.

I understand why you'd wanna build it up, but I have to tell you there are some pretty tough family things going on here right now. ´94 & silly internet rivalries really aren't the most important things in the world right now.

As soon as they finish the work in my apartment & I can get cabled up again i'll get the series played, but all I hope is that it's a good series, & that we can keep it classy. I'm not expecting to get close to winning, but i'll do my best, and, win or lose I won't be losing any sleep over this one. Bigger things in real life. I'll just be intending to enjoy this series for what it is.

Don't take the rivalry too seriously. It's all in fun. Good luck with your family stuff, apartment move, and all that.

On the subject of "NHL 94' 20th Anniversary - What are we doing?" ... it's a great question. So far, nothing's planned. It's pretty difficult for a lot of us to travel long distances to get together and play in person. As was mentioned above, video games are a pretty low priority for a healthy adult and most of us aren't kids anymore. It's a beautifully designed game and extremely fun to play, but even a 40-minute block of time to play 4 online games can be difficult for buds to to squeeze into a schedule. If anyone wants to do something in the NYC area, I am game.

Is it the 2013-14 season that would be the 20th? Pretty much the 10th anniv of nhl94.com too, no?

NHL events that could be considered:

2013 All-Star - Columbus (if there is a long enough season)

2013 Draft - New Jersey

2014 All-Star - Anaheim/Nashville (only if NHL doesn't participate in Olympics)

2014 Draft - Philadelphia