NHL'94 Forums

NY Islanders moving to Brooklyn

halifax

So Bettman can't get labor negotiations taken care of, but they can plan for the Islanders to move??

Maybe we can get some coverage of some of our leagues on the NBC Sports Network because there won't be any hockey this season anytime soon.

Apparently they are keeping the name NY islanders too lol

hopefully they change up the logo atleast

Definitely the right move, huge buzz around barclays centre with the nets.

Islanders should be a pretty good team by then too.

I don't know...actual Islander fans are pissed (they exist). Brooklyn is too far for people from Long Island to travel for games and the New York City is a Rangers town. They should at least change their names to Brooklyn something so they can pick up some new wannabe fans.

I heard its pretty easy though you just hop on the long island express train and it takes you right there.

I def think its better as Brooklyn/queens has potential for bigger fan base. Eitherway its good its staying in NYC as otherwise they are leaving for sure, no way they build new arena and nassau collisium blows. I miss the islanders in playoffs, always fun team to watch.

I def think its better as Brooklyn/queens has potential for bigger fan base.

The weird thing about is that the arena can only hold 14,500...which is the smallest in the league...even less than winnipeg.

People seem to be split on the location, depending on where they live. Better public transport access on the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) (which in theory should foster more young fans.. and no designated driver necessary!).

http://www.reddit.co...brooklyn_today/

The new arena does only hold ~14,500, but they will expand it to around 15,500. Nassau Coliseum currently holds only 16,250, as it is. I don't know why they signed a 25 year deal, though, that seems weird for such a small arena...