NHL'94 Forums

Fall'12 Classic Regular Season Ending Soon

kingraph

Gentlemen,

The Fall'12 Classic Season will be finishing in the next few weeks. As a reminder, from the original post:

"...NP (negative points) will be applied to missed games at the end of the season. This could hurt your playoff seeding! If you weren't able to play certain games vs. your opponent you will be given NPs. You will lose two points for every unplayed game. So play early and play often!"

In A, Beavers and Hokkee only have 7 games played. Please let me know if you plan on playing your games soon, or I have to get your replaced.

Same goes for a lot of guys in A...please make an effort to play your games in the next few weeks!

B league -- I'm sad to think this will be the year we don't get all 40 games played in the B league, breaking the streak of 2 successful seasons! Prove me wrong! I know Robbie will be up and running this weekend, so that should help. Alonzi?? cjgarnet?? Rammer?? dcicon??

C guys have been doing a good job. I need some replacements, so if you're interested, let me know.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, looking at the Gens B standings as of right now only 2 teams would actually have points after the DNPs are factored in. What happens then? I know I will get beaten up for this, but with only 4 of 12 people playing 21 games or more it looks to be a conclusion by the remaining coaches that the league is down to a 2 team race with everyone else not even being close.....

Out of curiosity, looking at the Gens B standings as of right now only 2 teams would actually have points after the DNPs are factored in. What happens then? I know I will get beaten up for this, but with only 4 of 12 people playing 21 games or more it looks to be a conclusion by the remaining coaches that the league is down to a 2 team race with everyone else not even being close.....

out of curiosity, i looked at the last 2 gens b standings with the 40gp. surprise surprise, you weren't in those leagues. maybe you should play more than 12 games and stop ducking

I'm hoping a bunch of more games get played over the next two weeks...but Halifax, Chaos, and I will figure it all out at the conclusion.

out of curiosity, i looked at the last 2 gens b standings with the 40gp. surprise surprise, you weren't in those leagues. maybe you should play more than 12 games and stop ducking

Keep your panties on, there are 5 other coaches with fewer games played than me....

I'm hoping a bunch of more games get played over the next two weeks...but Halifax, Chaos, and I will figure it all out at the conclusion.

Guessing I may get slaughtered for this post, & most of you know my views from what I have posted on this topic in the past, but I would suggest that the fact we had two A standard players beating up on everyone in B this season may have demotivated people. Like I said, it feels like the "B" guys are just making up the numbers so a couple of others can prove themselves A league worthy. After the top 2 there is only one player above a .500 average! Hard to stay enthusiastic in the face of that.

This is certainly not a dig at the guys organising. Halifax & Chaos can't know who everyone is & what standard they're at when they organise the leagues. It's up to us A & B league players to correctly identify the right league for each player. Communication has to be improved to make sure the B & C leagues are more evenly balanced & guys feel like they have a chance, and a reason to keep playing.

Say i'm being negative, whining, a sore loser, whatever, but B league always charges through the games every season up until this one, so we should be realising there's a reason for that.

For my part, my reason for not playing was the connection problems. I'm hooked up again now & will start ploughing through today & this weekend if guys are on. I know people would say I hate losing etc, but I can honestly say I just wanted a fun season using my boyhood team of choice LA this time round. The 8 games played havce pretty much all been good fun, & i've been enjoying it.

Guessing I may get slaughtered for this post, & most of you know my views from what I have posted on this topic in the past, but I would suggest that the fact we had two A standard players beating up on everyone in B this season may have demotivated people. Like I said, it feels like the "B" guys are just making up the numbers so a couple of others can prove themselves A league worthy. After the top 2 there is only one player above a .500 average! Hard to stay enthusiastic in the face of that.

This is certainly not a dig at the guys organising. Halifax & Chaos can't know who everyone is & what standard they're at when they organise the leagues. It's up to us A & B league players to correctly identify the right league for each player. Communication has to be improved to make sure the B & C leagues are more evenly balanced & guys feel like they have a chance, and a reason to keep playing.

Say i'm being negative, whining, a sore loser, whatever, but B league always charges through the games every season up until this one, so we should be realising there's a reason for that.

For my part, my reason for not playing was the connection problems. I'm hooked up again now & will start ploughing through today & this weekend if guys are on. I know people would say I hate losing etc, but I can honestly say I just wanted a fun season using my boyhood team of choice LA this time round. The 8 games played havce pretty much all been good fun, & i've been enjoying it.

Plabax and TomKabs are defintely better than the rest here but that's no excuse...it's not like they can't be beaten. Most of my GP are against them b/c they're the only guys I see online consistently.

Can't get anywhere without Robbie all over me

Only person who said I was A standard was you

ggs

Bingo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that you had to earn your way to the A league by winning the B league.

Bingo

I understand your thinking, but I think that shouldn't be used as an excuse. Just because you don't think you have a great shot at winning it doesn't make it excusable to not play games. People should have to play B before A, it only makes sense. You made it to the finals last time man, you don't have to bash the league because you are doubting you can do it again with a worse team and new players. B league is the step before A league, idk why you keep complaining about placement

Can't get anywhere without Robbie all over me

Only person who said I was A standard was you

ggs

You're .737 scoring over 6 goals a game......................

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that you had to earn your way to the A league by winning the B league.

Nope. The league descriptions state that A is for advanced players, B is for intermediate players. Anyone describing Plabax & Tomkabs as intermediate players are idiots. Don't get why people can't see it to be honest?

This whole "earn your place in A" thing is total BS. put guys in the right league for their ability. A league is seen as some exclusive club, which means we regularly get "advanced" players in the "intermediate" league which, in the case of this season has clearly taken a lot of the fun out of it, as evidenced by the GP% - B league has ALWAYS in the past completed 100% or close to it.......what's the difference this season?

Plabs and Kabs are only 6 games of the schedule for most...

Yeah, but if they're so far ahead of everyone it means you're playing for a semi-final spot at best. What's the point then?

I understand your thinking, but I think that shouldn't be used as an excuse. Just because you don't think you have a great shot at winning it doesn't make it excusable to not play games. People should have to play B before A, it only makes sense. You made it to the finals last time man, you don't have to bash the league because you are doubting you can do it again with a worse team and new players. B league is the step before A league, idk why you keep complaining about placement

I haven't played 'cos i've been out of my apartment for nearly 3 weeks on appalling wireless. I'll be back on & playing from now on. The other guys I can't speak for.

I made the finals last season, but the B champ lost only 9 games the entire league season & playoffs. He was head & shoulders above everyone else. I beat an A standard player in the semis but he was using PHI so I had a sporting chance in terms of team strength, & he'd had a long layoff from playing when we played that series. The top 2 seeds in Spring B had strong records, and were clearly A league standard, but they were both at roughly 4.5 goals per game. They weren't blowing guys away with a 6.17 & 6.25 goals per game record like you & Plabax.

B league is not the step before A league. It's the "intermediate" league. That's not my words, read the description. Wookie never played classic B league - why? Because he'd already proven he weas capable of playing A league & everyone knew it was pointless putting him in the B league.

The reason I keep mentioning league placement is because it's pretty obvious you guys are not B leaguers. Simple. Stick me in C & i'll probably have a decent record & a good shot at winning.....................but i'm not a C leaguer so it makes no sense. It's just logical.

You don't need to win B to be placed in A. I would bet the majority of A players have never been in the B league. Also, if someone asked me to sign up for a non-draft league where I had a 5% chance of winning I would never sign up for that.

Robbie is 100% correct in his statements. If you sent an IM to someone requesting to play 4 or 5 games you are essentially saying "Hey, can I kick your ass for about 30 minutes with one of the top teams in the league where you have next to no chance at not only winning, but keeping the game close." Why would anyone feel excited about wanting to play games. The games I have played against players other than Kabs and Plabox have been enjoyable games, but are moot because those two will be in the finals.

You (TomKabs) need a reality check that other people would rather have a realistic chance at winning rather than watching someone run up the score and only goal in the game is to not get shut out. Plabox will atleast let up a little bit when the game is out of reach as opposed to you running up the score in a league that doesn't even keep player stats.

You (TomKabs) need a reality check that other people would rather have a realistic chance at winning rather than watching someone run up the score and only goal in the game is to not get shut out. Plabox will atleast let up a little bit when the game is out of reach as opposed to you running up the score in a league that doesn't even keep player stats.

I'm not trying to get at people here. Plabax & Tomkabs are just playing in the league they were put in. They've done nothing wrong, & don't need to feel like they have. The only thing i'd like them to try is view it from the other side. It's easy to say "Earn your place in A", "Just play your games", "Don't be a sore loser" etc when you're the one scoring over 6 goals a game with a .800 record.

I can see it from both sides. I've played Spring finals & was #1 seed in the 2012 B league. That's why I can say "I don't wanna be in the C league". I would have a much better shot at winning a championship in C if that was my reason for playing (Like people seem to think it is) but I know i'm in the right place for my ability & wouldn't wanna be beating up on people below my level because I know it wouldn't be right.

If the idea is to grow the community of players, then there will occasionally be situations of competitive imbalance. Next season will be different - it shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game.

If the idea is to grow the community of players, then there will occasionally be situations of competitive imbalance. Next season will be different - it shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game.

The idea should be to avoid the situations of competitive imbalance. It was obvious there was going to be this imbalance before the season started. It was totally avoidable.

All you have to do is look at the stats. B league is always the most committed, constant league every season. Guys that are on all the time, guys who don't duck games, guys who don't play the silly "mind games" we often see in the A league. Guys that usually race through their games in no time at all (As King said, 100% complete the past 2 seasons. I think the season before that was very close to it too)...............................and they haven't been playing! Pearate, one of the B regulars for the past couple of years has now dropped out, which really shocked me.

We need to try to understand why that might have happened in what was previously the most committed league in the community. Why has it gone into complete reverse this season?

The idea should be to avoid the situations of competitive imbalance. It was obvious there was going to be this imbalance before the season started. It was totally avoidable.

All you have to do is look at the stats. B league is always the most committed, constant league every season. Guys that are on all the time, guys who don't duck games, guys who don't play the silly "mind games" we often see in the A league. Guys that usually race through their games in no time at all (As King said, 100% complete the past 2 seasons. I think the season before that was very close to it too)...............................and they haven't been playing! Pearate, one of the B regulars for the past couple of years has now dropped out, which really shocked me.

We need to try to understand why that might have happened in what was previously the most committed league in the community. Why has it gone into complete reverse this season?

I believe the issue was that the group that created the leagues wanted to have each league have the same amount of players even if there were questions on who should be there. Needless to say next season put the A players in A and the B players in B. If one league has 14 and another has 10 nobody cares as long as everyone has a shot to win.

Thanks for this Robbie! :anger:

If you (or anybody) does not want to play Classic, you can let me/Halifax/Chaos know asap and we can replace you. You should not stop playing your games because you are upset that there is someone better than you in the league. Plenty of folks are eager to play -- and play against better players -- it's better to be replaced than to avoid playing.

Thanks for this Robbie! :anger:

If you (or anybody) does not want to play Classic, you can let me/Halifax/Chaos know asap and we can replace you. You should not stop playing your games because you are upset that there is someone better than you in the league. Plenty of folks are eager to play -- and play against better players -- it's better to be replaced than to avoid playing.

I haven't played 'cos i've been out of my apartment for nearly 3 weeks on appalling wireless. I'll be back on & playing from now on. The other guys I can't speak for.

Have to say King, i'm surprised you'd be basically laying down ultimatums just because someone has an opinion on something, and can make pretty sensible, reasoned arguments to back up their opinion. Bit of a shame if we can't make our feelings known in a sensible manner & end up basically being told "If you don't like it, shut the *#"! up!"

I don't understand this idea of ducking games.. what is that all about?

Have to say King, i'm surprised you'd be basically laying down ultimatums just because someone has an opinion on something, and can make pretty sensible, reasoned arguments to back up their opinion. Bit of a shame if we can't make our feelings known in a sensible manner & end up basically being told "If you don't like it, shut the *#"! up!"

Based on what has happened with a little bit of authority I would say his arrogance has drastically increased. I still believe that a personal grudge was the reason I was the only person not given my 1st team selection.

And as for the ducking games comment, check out my last Blitz A season and let me know if that changes your thinking.

Last word i'll say on the matter is this (Unless I get provoked into another reply. lol):

Last season the top 2 guys were obviously ahead of everyone else, but had a 4.5 goal per game average, so if you were facing them in the playoffs you thought "Well, I need to defend for my life, and see if I can get him down under 4 goals a game this series. I then need to score a minimum of 4, but probably 5 to pick up a win. It's tough, but if I can play well, get the breaks, have some luck, maybe I can have a chance of an upset here".

This season you're saying "OK, I need to defend for my life, and see if I can get him under 6 goals a game, then I need a minimum of 6, probably 7 to win........................and i've got to do that 4 times!".............It's just not realistic. The mismatch this season is too great.

It's all well and good saying "You shouldn't be scared of playing better players" (Funny how the top guys always say that), but that's what exhibs are for. If you spelled out the way it's going to be before the league started and said "OK, these 2 guys are verging on A league. We're going to put them in B so they can prove themselves/earn the right to go to A. These 2 or 3 guys are very good B players, & these other guys will be competitive. We know these 2 advanced guys will dominate, but hey, you gotta earn your place right? Lets just have some fun!", no one would sign up for the B league!

Instead of a lot of guys not bothering to play this season you'd have just had 5 or 6 guys sign up, because they'd say "Yeah it's meant to just be fun, but what's the point in me being cannon fodder for the A league wannabes & having no chance of overall success? What's my objective & my motivation this season?"

Fact is us B leaguers are just here to make up the numbers in terms of who can win the B league this season (and last). If the A league guys are so out of touch that they can't see that, and think anyone with a different opinion should just button it we're in a sad place i'm afraid.

Like I said, it's dead easy to say "Just play your games", "You shouldn't be bothered about playing better players" etc when you're at the top. If that's the case don't have A,B & C leagues. Mix em up like GDL & don't worry about who's playing who until the playoffs.

Don't tell me that one league is advanced & one is intermediate if that's not the case, so I and everyone else understands when we sign up for the season.....................oh, & don't tell me go take a running jump when I voice my opinion on it in a clear, sensible, logical way.

I still believe that a personal grudge was the reason I was the only person not given my 1st team selection.

lol. I'm not having that. You got ur 6th choice because your 1st 5 choices all went in the first round of picks. When you didn't get your 1st choice it became impossible for you to get any of the next 4 because they'd already been taken. Lets keep things sensible here

This whole "earn your place in A" thing is total BS. put guys in the right league for their ability. A league is seen as some exclusive club, which means we regularly get "advanced" players in the "intermediate" league which, in the case of this season has clearly taken a lot of the fun out of it, as evidenced by the GP% - B league has ALWAYS in the past completed 100% or close to it.......what's the difference this season?

Yeah, but if they're so far ahead of everyone it means you're playing for a semi-final spot at best. What's the point then?

I made the finals last season, but the B champ lost only 9 games the entire league season & playoffs. He was head & shoulders above everyone else. I beat an A standard player in the semis but he was using PHI so I had a sporting chance in terms of team strength, & he'd had a long layoff from playing when we played that series. The top 2 seeds in Spring B had strong records, and were clearly A league standard, but they were both at roughly 4.5 goals per game. They weren't blowing guys away with a 6.17 & 6.25 goals per game record like you & Plabax.

B league is not the step before A league. It's the "intermediate" league. That's not my words, read the description. Wookie never played classic B league - why? Because he'd already proven he weas capable of playing A league & everyone knew it was pointless putting him in the B league.

The reason I keep mentioning league placement is because it's pretty obvious you guys are not B leaguers. Simple. Stick me in C & i'll probably have a decent record & a good shot at winning.....................but i'm not a C leaguer so it makes no sense. It's just logical.

Okay, wookie mopped it up in C league. He basically broke records with a 37 win season. Were you whining about him being placed in C then? No. He wasn't breaking records against you, so you don't have a problem with that. He was new to the forums, it was his first league, so he played in C. If i didn't exi people before joining, i would have been placed in C. I asked if i could play in B league instead, and I was given the okay. Wookie never played classic B league because he proved he was capable of playing A league by playing well in his first season in C. Why am I not allowed to prove myself in my first season?

You are speaking as if you are commisioner of the B league, leader of the games played award winning league. Do you realize robbie that you are the only one complaining about me and plabax's B league placement? dcicon doesn't count because he just tries to mindlessly get under everyone's skin no matter what. The point is, the league should be committed no matter what. It shouldn't take championship dreams to get you to play your games.

Last word i'll say on the matter is this (Unless I get provoked into another reply. lol):

Last season the top 2 guys were obviously ahead of everyone else, but had a 4.5 goal per game average, so if you were facing them in the playoffs you thought "Well, I need to defend for my life, and see if I can get him down under 4 goals a game this series. I then need to score a minimum of 4, but probably 5 to pick up a win. It's tough, but if I can play well, get the breaks, have some luck, maybe I can have a chance of an upset here".

This season you're saying "OK, I need to defend for my life, and see if I can get him under 6 goals a game, then I need a minimum of 6, probably 7 to win........................and i've got to do that 4 times!".............It's just not realistic. The mismatch this season is too great.

It's all well and good saying "You shouldn't be scared of playing better players" (Funny how the top guys always say that), but that's what exhibs are for. If you spelled out the way it's going to be before the league started and said "OK, these 2 guys are verging on A league. We're going to put them in B so they can prove themselves/earn the right to go to A. These 2 or 3 guys are very good B players, & these other guys will be competitive. We know these 2 advanced guys will dominate, but hey, you gotta earn your place right? Lets just have some fun!", no one would sign up for the B league!

Instead of a lot of guys not bothering to play this season you'd have just had 5 or 6 guys sign up, because they'd say "Yeah it's meant to just be fun, but what's the point in me being cannon fodder for the A league wannabes & having no chance of overall success? What's my objective & my motivation this season?"

Fact is us B leaguers are just here to make up the numbers in terms of who can win the B league this season (and last). If the A league guys are so out of touch that they can't see that, and think anyone with a different opinion should just button it we're in a sad place i'm afraid.

Like I said, it's dead easy to say "Just play your games", "You shouldn't be bothered about playing better players" etc when you're at the top. If that's the case don't have A,B & C leagues. Mix em up like GDL & don't worry about who's playing who until the playoffs.

Don't tell me that one league is advanced & one is intermediate if that's not the case, so I and everyone else understands when we sign up for the season.....................oh, & don't tell me go take a running jump when I voice my opinion on it in a clear, sensible, logical way.

If I'm an A league wannabe, why aren't you? Don't you want to play in A league someday? Apparently your whole motivation is based on a chance at winning B, and if you won B you would go on to A the next season. But it is obvious that you don't want to go to A, you just want to stay in your own bubble of "fun." Instead of complaining about league competitiveness, why don't you try to improve your game? Try to fix some bad habits and think about what would allow you to play better. Isn't the whole idea to be as good as you can be? You have defended yourself on countless occasions now by saying "I'm allowed an opininon." I find it funny that so many people have a problem with your "opinion." My opinion is that you should cut the bs whining and try to become a better player so that you won't have to make up silly excuses like this.

You don't need to win B to be placed in A. I would bet the majority of A players have never been in the B league. Also, if someone asked me to sign up for a non-draft league where I had a 5% chance of winning I would never sign up for that.

Robbie is 100% correct in his statements. If you sent an IM to someone requesting to play 4 or 5 games you are essentially saying "Hey, can I kick your ass for about 30 minutes with one of the top teams in the league where you have next to no chance at not only winning, but keeping the game close." Why would anyone feel excited about wanting to play games. The games I have played against players other than Kabs and Plabox have been enjoyable games, but are moot because those two will be in the finals.

You also don't need to complain that someone didn't get placed in A in their first league ever. I need a reality check? hahaha. This is coming from the guy who:

1. Did well enough to get placed into A, which caused you to cry about it

2. Cried that A is too hard and that you want to go back to B

3. Is now crying that B is too hard. Would you like to go to C?

I'm sorry that i hurt your feelings running up the score on you man. People run the score on me when they can, I don't feel bad at all when I'm doing it. It's especially fun against you, as you aren't exactly the classiest person in the community :)

You suggested people aren't playing because they don't want to. I then suggested, if that is the case, let's replace you instead of wasting away the season. It's not an ultimatum. I just want people to play their games.

Lol @ dcicon.

Okay, wookie mopped it up in C league. He basically broke records with a 37 win season. Were you whining about him being placed in C then? No. He wasn't breaking records against you, so you don't have a problem with that.

Check the forums. I made the exact same point about Wookie, Sicarius & Rammer that season, just like I made the same point about Wittgenstein this season. Guess I have to add you to the list of people who have no clue what they're talking about.

If I'm an A league wannabe, why aren't you? Don't you want to play in A league someday? Apparently your whole motivation is based on a chance at winning B, and if you won B you would go on to A the next season. But it is obvious that you don't want to go to A, you just want to stay in your own bubble of "fun." Instead of complaining about league competitiveness, why don't you try to improve your game? Try to fix some bad habits and think about what would allow you to play better. Isn't the whole idea to be as good as you can be?

I have a full time job, a long communte, a 3 year old child & a family. I just don't have the time to commit to '94 anymore like I used to. I'm a B leaguer, and the time necessary to improve isn't available to me any more. I'm happy to be B league & have no dreams of A league because there are other things that take priority over '94. I have the same rights to play and enjoy the game as you guys who can commit more time to it. I don't need to feel like a 2nd class citizen around here because i'm not a top player.

A couple of seasons back Houly was fed up of finishing in the bottom half of the A league & registered for B league...........with Montreal as his first choice. It was obvious he'd have been the runaway favourite but Chaos said something very significant, which I think applies here too: "The chance to win it all is huge". Well that goes both ways. it goes for the top guys & for the intermediate guys too, and the beginners. Yeah it's just a game, and it's just meant to be fun............but there's a competitive element & we're kidding ourselves if we say there's not or there shouldn't be.

Again, if it doesn't matter mix the leagues up, and don't worry about who plays who until playoffs. Why do we seperate "advanced, intermediate & beginner" players if it doesn't matter? So the beginners don't get smoked by the intermediates & the intermediates don't get smoked by the advanced, and everyone has a chance to be competitive.........................obviously.

Sick & tired of trying to explain something so simple to goddam idiots!