NHL'94 Forums

Check out a Big NHL 95 Tourney - IN FINLAND

segathon

24 Finnish Flashes going at it in NHL 95. Been talking to these guys off and on for years, Great group of guys.

taivas-varjele.jpg

Follow on Twitter at https://twitter.com/NHL95turnaus

Website http://nhl95tampere.wordpress.com/

It's in Finnish but google converts it to english and you can get mostly what they are saying.

why NHL 95 ?

As a Finn I understand why you decide to play NHL 95 instead of NHL 94. NHL 95 is the best hockey game available to play with Sega Megadrive in Finland.

why not NHL 94 ?

NHL 94 in European PAL Sega Megadrive plays in slow motion compared to what it's supposed to be like in American NTSC Sega Genesis. This is because PAL runs 50 Hz or 25 fps and NTSC runs 60 Hz or 30 fps. Makers of NHL 94 did nothing to compensate this in game speed. In NHL 95 the gameplay is much faster so even when it does run in slow motion compared to NTSC Sega it doesn't feel like it. It almost feels like it's running too fast in NTSC Sega.

Here's a video of what I mean:

I remember as a child when NHL 95 came it felt like a big leap forward, because it had more speed.

It wasn't until early 2000's I found out what a great game NHL 94 is when I played it in emulator, and soon after that we had our 1st online league up in May 2001.

It's fairly easy to modify Sega Megadrive to run in 60 Hz mode. There are instructions online.

It's nice to see this much interest for NHL 95 in Finland, though it would be preferable to see the same with NHL 94, as it's the better game of the two.

That is very interesting on the different FPS. We have always talked about having an international in person tourney with the Fins if we ever won the lottery. Would need to have to bring Sega's & Megadrives for home and away matches. :)

Don't really want to debate the whole nhl94 v nhl95 stuff. People just have different tastes. I think the whole Genesis Series is great, but we settled on NHL 95 as our game of choice for our tournaments.

• 2 years later...

Hello guys! The commisioner of the world biggest annual Sega NHL95 Tournament here! Our eight annual tournament was few weeks ago and here is our Official Film of the tournament ("Tackle Me Gently") with english subtitles:

Hope you enjoy our "mockumentary" and feel free to ask and especially share our film! :)

Edited by aqzu

Im not having this. Nhl95 was an absolute pig of a game. A slow running 94 was still 1000 times better than the mess that was 95. All the skating dynamics & "feel" of weight on ice was lost. Was like a 6 on 6 air hockey game!

Add to that the ridiculous speed & the EA series was ruined forever. I played 1 game of 95 & then actually stopped playing EA hockey games until I found this community

Hello guys! The commisioner of the world biggest annual Sega NHL95 Tournament here! Our eight annual tournament was few weeks ago and here is our Official Film of the tournament ("Tackle Me Gently") with english subtitles:

Hope you enjoy our "mockumentary" and feel free to ask and especially share our film! :)

Awesome, except that video doesn't have the english subtitles! :lol:

If you have another version with the subtitles, please share!

Wow, and thank you! Those subtitles are typed as a CC-captions for this video and apparently that embed player doesn't provide that as an option. So you should click the youtube-link and go there. Damn that Google. ;)

And speaking of this eternal NHL94 vs. NHL95 - maybe NHL95 was a step back from NHL94, but it was the version that me and all my friends bought back in the day. Maybe it was the first "big published" NHL-game here in Finland, I don't know - all I know is that it is a lot more common here in Finland than NHL94. :)

And speaking of this eternal NHL94 vs. NHL95 - maybe NHL95 was a step back from NHL94, but it was the version that me and all my friends bought back in the day. Maybe it was the first "big published" NHL-game here in Finland, I don't know - all I know is that it is a lot more common here in Finland than NHL94. :)

Haha. I feel sorry for the Fins ;-)

Seriously, thats awesome that 95 lives on there & that u guys have a live tournament. Thats what this community needs.

You definitely need to switch to 94 tho. Much better game ;-)

Ah, yes the CC option worked. Highly enjoyable, though I wish there was some more '95 action to watch. "Tackle Me Gently" is an amazing title, lol. Thanks for sharing.

And swos very nicely explained why '95 is bigger in Finland than '94...it's the second comment in this thread!

Wow, and thank you! Those subtitles are typed as a CC-captions for this video and apparently that embed player doesn't provide that as an option. So you should click the youtube-link and go there. Damn that Google. ;)

NHL95 was indeed the first big published Hockey game for PC/Sega at least (Sega had previous versions too, but don't recall them being marketed in any way). NHL'94 or NHL Hockey on PC was played tons though via warez channels at least in the eastern part of Helsinki. The Sega version of 95 does play differently than the 94/95 of PC version though. If one could play with keyboard I'd join in and hop on to Tampere and join the next tournament, but learning a gamepad .. out of my depth. =)

You guys should try to challenge yourselves and join the NHL94 community, well those who can't wait for the next live tournament at least. :)

Edited by Depch

Such a great vid Aki!

It has rekindled the NHL 95 fever!

And can we lay off the 94 vs 95 pissing match? The whole NHL 16 bit series is great. This online community would grow if we share the love of this series.

Thank you guys for your feedback - it is highly appreciated! :)

As it's already discussed here, the whole debate '94vs.'95 is useless, even though I'm interessed in trying '94 again. :)

For Depch: sad to say, but we are controllers-only; almost every year we acquire new used controllers and every controller is annually opened and maintained. :)

• 4 months later...

Playing Genesis 95 again and I cant help myself, I like it. Its not as good as 92-94 games but still pretty decent.

The PAL vs NTSC problem is a big PITA for Europeans. I would like to play Tecmo Super Bowl games (NES, SNES I and III) on the real hardware (both NES and SNES) but buying the consoles and the cartridges would be two or three times more expensive for me as an European due to shipping costs (and customs charges) from North America. Same for NHL 94, PAL version sucks, its slow as hell and its got that stupid "hit the goalie with a puck" sound.

What I've never undersood about all these retro sport video games tournaments...why the real hardware is used exclusively? Its "use the real hardware with the original controllers" or "bye". Using PC, notebooks and emulators, at least for another category, has so many pros. People used to their own controllers can use them in these tournaments, any version (PAL/NTSC) of the game can be used no matter what versions are available in the region which means more people will be interested in participating in live tournaments, videos of full matches can be recorded, live streams broadcasted, savestates can me made during the breaks so no need to replay the whole game when the console freezes and so on and so on. Notebooks are cheap, small, light and can run the games via emulators perfectly and almost everyone has one. I myself am hardcore retrogamer owning plenty of old retro garbage, consoles, computers, joysticks so I understand why people want to use the real stuff like in the good old days, nothing beats that feeling, but why other options are always totally ignored is beyond my understanding.

Playing Genesis 95 again and I cant help myself, I like it. Its not as good as 92-94 games but still pretty decent.

The PAL vs NTSC problem is a big PITA for Europeans. I would like to play Tecmo Super Bowl games (NES, SNES I and III) on the real hardware (both NES and SNES) but buying the consoles and the cartridges would be two or three times more expensive for me as an European due to shipping costs (and customs charges) from North America. Same for NHL 94, PAL version sucks, its slow as hell and its got that stupid "hit the goalie with a puck" sound.

What I've never undersood about all these retro sport video games tournaments...why the real hardware is used exclusively? Its "use the real hardware with the original controllers" or "bye". Using PC, notebooks and emulators, at least for another category, has so many pros. People used to their own controllers can use them in these tournaments, any version (PAL/NTSC) of the game can be used no matter what versions are available in the region which means more people will be interested in participating in live tournaments, videos of full matches can be recorded, live streams broadcasted, savestates can me made during the breaks so no need to replay the whole game when the console freezes and so on and so on. Notebooks are cheap, small, light and can run the games via emulators perfectly and almost everyone has one. I myself am hardcore retrogamer owning plenty of old retro garbage, consoles, computers, joysticks so I understand why people want to use the real stuff like in the good old days, nothing beats that feeling, but why other options are always totally ignored is beyond my understanding.

There's a difference between how the game plays on an emulator and real console. Most casual players won't notice, but anyone who has played hundreds of hours on the emulator and console, you notice the differences.

I agree that using notebooks would be convenient and allow for keyboards/third-party controllers, but I guess most organizers want to keep it true to the original game.

Definitely its not the same but many people wont participate because they are used to their modern controllers or they prefer the "right" speed of the game and not the slow European one. If emulators are good enough for online play why not having two categories, for the real hardware players and for the emulator players and everybody can join both. I am not bashing the guys who organize these tournaments, not at all, from my pov they just miss the opportunity to have more fun with more players involved.

• 6 months later...

These last posts went unnoticed last spring, so now I can finally comment on these...

To DominikJagr; I understand what you mean, but at least to us this tournament is so much more than just "get as big tournament as possible" - this is an event to which our friends travel across the country - friends that we see nowadays only once a year in this tournament. There is no need to expand this tournament (except there are plans on inviting all previous players to our 10th annual tournament next year), because this is a very working consept with all the trash-talk and big mouthing etc. :)

And when it comes to this emulator vs. real consoles -debate, it is obvious that we use those original consoles - I mean, it is kind of funny to connect those 25 year old cables to a brand new led-tv and see how horrible it looks. And I those three-button controllers are vital: we use to have mine cord-free controllers in use (I bought those back in the 90's) on one of the consoles, but there was so much debate about those smaller controllers (6-button version) that it was obvious that we needed equal equipments for every player. And one year I bought those replica-controllers, but those broke before the main tournament even started.

So there you have it, our tournament is not suppose to be as big as possible, it is much more about those players that come and create the athmophere every year. :)

• 1 year later...

The Big Finnish Tourney is having their 10th Anniversary tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/NHL95turnaus/status/767968999917387776

Some people dream big, my dream right now is to go to Finland on my private jet to play NHL 95. Hang around for a couple weeks in Europe then fly to Saskatoon for Retrothon.