NHL'94 Forums

Change time for NHL95PC 5min periods and overtime

Kiba

This program changes 5min periods time in EA Sports NHL95-game (PC-version).

1. Take backup from your HOCKEY.EXE.

2. Put NHL95time.exe and HOCKEY.EXE in same directory.

3. Run NHL95time.exe.

4. Give new time for 5 min periods in minutes between 1-99.

5. If you copied HOCKEY.EXE to different directory, just copy it back to your NHL95 directory.

6. Run NHL95 and run your game where you use 5min periods. Period time should have been changed.

NHL95 uses 5min periods time for overtime lenght, so this affects to 10min and 20min periods overtime also.

NHL95time.zip

Edited by Kiba

• 1 month later...

Hello Kiba. Is it true that in NHL95 PC the period length selection does not work? I noticed that time did not increase to 10 or 20 min periods even when i changed it. (i find this amazing - how could this bug have gotten past the developer?)

Anyway, I tried your program to solve this program, but I am not having success. I even tried hex editing HOCKEY.EXE (to do what your program does) by changing 112E9E and 112E9F like you said. (made those values equal to 20 mins) but still no change to 20 mins when I select 5 mins in the game. after changing the hex, I start up the game, then go to Exhibition settings, i try 5 or 20 min period. but no matter what I select, the clock always starts at 20:00, but moves very fast acting as if it is 5 minute period. i'm surprised it did not work because I think I have edited HOCKEY.EXE correctly.

Hi wraparound17. Period length selection should work fine in NHL95PC. At least it works fine on my original version of the game. You have original game? Could you explain how do you change period length? Did you do it on exhibition game or in season game?

That result of your editing HOCKEY.EXE is quite strange, never occured to me that "the clock always starts at 20:00, but moves very fast acting as if it is 5 minute period". Actually I would like to know how to do that :)

I suggest that you make new installation of NHL95PC and first try to change period time in exhibition game settings. If everythting is ok, then try my program or edit hex.

Kiba, it is quite strange to me too. this is what is happening. when i set period length to 5 or 20, it starts at 20 minutes but the clock moves very fast. (only 5 actual minutes) if i select period length to 10 minute, well then it starts at 10 minutes but still the clock moves very fast. (as if it's 5 minutes or even less) this is bizarre i don't remember it doing this when i used to play NHL95. maybe it has to do with how i installed the game. i created that nhl.cfg file so i can run the game from the HD without the CD.

this is before i even edited HOCKEY.EXE or used your patch. and even after i use your patch, it doesn't change anything. it's still the same. it's very bizarre.

Edited by wraparound17

My copy of the game is legit. But I've tried a few different versions and added a few patches. there's a few versions of HOCKEY.EXE floating around there. i tried going back to the original HOCKEY.EXE, but maybe trying those patches messed something up. also i am emulating the game. i'm going to try re-installing through the emulator. something about the time is messed up.

Wait a second Kiba! I realized that the game is working fine, it's just that the clock is moving very fast!! The clock moves faster in NHL. I was just playing NBA Live 95 on DOS PC and in that game the clock moves normal speed. But in NHL95 PC and I guess the console hockey games (genesis) the clock just moves fast! I guess i just never realized that the clock moved fast in NHL! I want to try to slow down the clock to move at regular speed!

Edited by wraparound17

Clock may not be in sync to real time in NHL95PC. Anyhow, I was understanding that you cannot change period length in NHL95PC? If you choose 5, 10 or 20 min periods, that should show selected period time to the game clock. In your case this did not happen? If so, I think you have modified HOCKEY.EXE in use. Problem should be solved if you try to use original HOCKEY.EXE. If problem still exists, we have paranormal activity...

yeah i was a little confused with the clock running so fast. i am used to more modern games where the clock runs at normal speed. and the fact that NBA Live 95 on DOS has a normal speed clock. in NHL95PC and all the NHL games that generation (genesis, snes) have the faster clock. it's been so long since i played those games i completely forgot about that. so i don't think there's any paranormal activity haha.

Kiba, isn't it strange though that :

modern NHL games : normal speed clock

NHL95 era games : fast speed clock

Modern NBA games : normal speed clock

NBA Live 95 era games : normal speed clock

Modern FIFA / soccer games : fast speed clock (no continuous clock option)

Fifa Soccer 94 era games : normal speed clock (with continuous clock option)

this is weird to me. why is time normal speed in NBA Live 95 but double or triple speed in NHL95? Is time more valuable in the basketball or something?

In soccer games, it's the opposite of NHL95. time is normal speed in Fifa 94 or the Dos game Fifa international soccer but yet, in FIFA 13 you can't even have a normal speed clock. (you can't just play a half to 10 actual minutes like you could in the older games ; it's always to 45 minutes with the clock moving very fast)

I never understood why games speed up the clock. imo the clock should always move at the speed of a real clock. a second should always be a second in a game. that's what confused me. do you think there anyway to slow down the clock to normal speed through hexing HOCKEY.EXE in NHL95?

Personally I have to say that clock "speed" has not bothered me at all, I quess NHL95 and some other games are not trying to make game as a perfect simulation. The implementation is somewhere between simulation and arcade. EA's NHL-series 92-96 have got my heart, after over 20 years I still play, coach and trying to do little bit of hacking to them.

I would say that slowing down clock speed is somehow possible, but I dont think that it would be an easy hack, just by changing some values in HOCKEY.EXE via hex editor.

I agree that NHL92-96 are amazing. and i know NHL95PC is a lot like NHL94 on genesis, only improved, but without ability to be manual goalie. don't get me wrong i love NHL95 on PC, and some of the other genesis games.

I like NHL95PC, but there are certain limitations to the game compared to the genesis games. the two button control system is a little odd, considering i have a controller with 10 buttons! also, to ability to be a manual goalie! (even with only 2 buttons, you should be able to switch to goalie by holding down switch player!) also i wish there was a bigger (wider or longer) rink in NHL95PC (like the international size rink). i think if you had a bigger rink the game would be more fun, and more able to be played with a slower clock.

after not playing this engine for a long time, I installed NHL95 PC again, and the clock issue bugged me. mainly because, well with the clock moving so fast, power plays are very short. i thought i remembered on one of the genesis games the ability to choose between actual minutes or minutes fast forwarded counting down from 20:00, but maybe it was PS2.

• 3 years later...

I know this a very old post but I'm curious as to what you are editing in the .exe file to change period length. Is it possible to only increase the default overtime length and still use the game settings to adjust the regulation period length?