NHL'94 Forums

SDL3 draft and noobs

c4outlaws

Looks like the draft stalled. The noobs are holding it up. 12hrs since last pick, also a couple 7hr gaps in the last 4 picks. Just a note to the noobs, after you make your pick, try to contact the next coach so they know its their turn. This will help speed the draft up.

I really hope people aren't this unreliable in the season... or else we'll have another SDL2 where it dies out which would make me a sad panda.

Also, now that it's the late rounds, maybe we can have a time limit. I mean people are just picking their 4th D man/5th-6th forwards/back up goalies anyways in rounds 10+

noobs---> 8 picks in 39.5 hours

then....

veterans---> 15 picks in 8 hours

then as we currently sit......

noobs---> 7 picks in 39 hours and counting.....

HAHA, that makes 15 picks for each but 70+ hours more for the noobs. I am not trying to sound like an A$$ but things like this is what made SDL2 fail.

Edited by c4outlaws

Also, now that it's the late rounds, maybe we can have a time limit. I mean people are just picking their 4th D man/5th-6th forwards/back up goalies anyways in rounds 10+

Agreed, it should be like a 6 hour time limit and if you're not going to be around, send a list to Dan or someone. If no list, then you get next best OVERALL rated player on the draft list.

Having done a few GENS drafts recently (Blitz/GDL/'13), I felt the best practice was to provide the time slots in advance, so people knew when they were scheduled to pick. If you miss your time, you are skipped and the next person can pick when their time comes up. If there is someone skipped in a round, the next person can only make their pick when their time comes up. At the end of the round, all those who were skipped will be allocated the next best available player at the position they need. Earlier rounds have longer time periods, and later rounds can go as fast as 15 minutes between picks, to ensure the round wraps up in a day.

As much as a time limit is okay...

You have people like me... who live on the other side of the world, to throw the wrench in the works...

Its hard when people have 10-20 picks till their next one to be certain you will get what you want...

And then theres the idea about people worshipping weight or speed etc... And not being able to get what they want due to the auto pick...

There may be no other options available...

But I personally am against it...

(prolly as much as i am against slackers, so no win situation in this department)

Im sorry about the system... with my work, i don't have a lot of time to watch all the time the draft speed. but ill rebuilt completly the draft engine for the next draft. In the same time ill try to optomise my code behind, for this system, i wrote 4995 lines of code lol.

For the next draft, auto skip with time.

Having done a few GENS drafts recently (Blitz/GDL/'13), I felt the best practice was to provide the time slots in advance, so people knew when they were scheduled to pick. If you miss your time, you are skipped and the next person can pick when their time comes up. If there is someone skipped in a round, the next person can only make their pick when their time comes up. At the end of the round, all those who were skipped will be allocated the next best available player at the position they need. Earlier rounds have longer time periods, and later rounds can go as fast as 15 minutes between picks, to ensure the round wraps up in a day.

I like this system, where you have a scheduled time slot, as opposed to a time limit that is set when the previous pick is made. With the scheduled time slot, you can determine where you will be for every single one of your picks that you will have to make. That way, you can send a list as appropriate to someone who can make your pick for you.

The alternative (time limits) is tricky, because you cannot anticipate when your timeslot will be. eg: if you check and you are 10 picks away, you may choose to go away for the afternoon, but then if those 10 picks are made really quickly (in 30 minutes), you are on the clock and might miss your pick.

Regardless, I'm easy. The current system actually works pretty well. The first 6 rounds went really fast.