NHL'94 Forums

Friday the Day It Ends?

PRoBob38

New twitter posts saying it's not happening (see below)

Here is something about the NHLPA's offer:

Players are giving in on the concept of maximum contract length, as well as 50/50 cash.

So the owners are getting their way massively AGAIN, but still won't take what's offered.

"It looks like this is not going to be resolved in the immediate future" -- Don Fehr

https://twitter.com/...843101023248386

Fehr says the NHL found moves "unacceptable." Everything off the table.

https://twitter.com/...842974262996992

Where are we now? Fehr says "we think there is a complete agreement on dollars" and believes it can lead to a deal in the near future

https://twitter.com/...835404513173505

Also, goddamn I hate twitter

Brutal.

We are now seeing what kind of negotiator Fehr truly is.

I'll bet we hear the "decertification" buzzword thrown around a lot tomorrow.

The players are now playing chicken with the season.

Upon reflection, I'm still a little optimistic that a deal can get done.

I do believe that the players have already voted/accepted the last league offer, and Fehr is just trying to squeeze the owners a little bit more. Either by eliminating the contract term limit, or shortening the term of the CBA.

The league/owners were visibly pissed, and clearly were looking ahead to the season.

So after the last lockout the fans were rewarded with major crackdown on obstruction and the shootout.

What will the NHL give back to the fans this time?

Eliminating the instigator penalty?

No-touch icing?

What's on your wishlist?

I also think a penalty should end regardless of which team scores.

Why? :/

Actually, I'm against the idea of an offensive zone penalty resulting in a defensive zone faceoff. I know they want to generate more offense, but I don't think that rule makes sense. At most, make it a faceoff in the neutral zone.

I wouldn't mind no-touch icing.

They need to do something about the puck over the glass penalty. I just think they players look silly pointing at the puck in the stands to make the ref call the penalty. Make it a quick faceoff with no defensive line change. There's also a strange situation where if you ice the puck all the way down the rink and over the glass, you get a penalty, but not if it stays in the rink -- doesn't make sense.

So after the last lockout the fans were rewarded with major crackdown on obstruction and the shootout.

What will the NHL give back to the fans this time?

Eliminating the instigator penalty?

No-touch icing?

What's on your wishlist?

10mins overtime instead of 5. and no ot points

10mins overtime instead of 5. and no ot points

I don't think either the owners or the players want 10 minute OTs. It's a lot of extra time, actually (+16.7%!).

I want 3- or 4-point games.

W:3, OTW:2, OTL:1, L:0

or

W:4, OTW:3, OTL:1, L:0

If we have to keep the shootout, maybe 4 or 5 player shootouts, because 3 players is pretty random, statistically. Also, ban the stop-and-spin move because it's lame.

Ottawa must bring back the ice girls with the shovels. Now we get dudes.. they even wear helmets.

Make the nets taller to encourage more standup goalies. Blocking-style goalies are getting boring.

• 2 weeks later...
Real_ESPNLeBrun:

An NHL player says the NHL made a new offer to the NHLPA on Thursday, one which moved on contract term limits, buyouts and variance...

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly would not confirm it when reached.

Stay tuned!

NHL offer calls for term limit on player contracts to be six years (seven if you're re-signing your own guys).

New offer sees each team afforded one compliance buyout prior to 2013-14 season. Doesn't count vs. cap but it does vs. players' share.

Also the Make Whole $$$$ stays at $300 million.

DarrenDreger: Among the changes in the new proposal, the NHL adjusted its max contract length from five to six years. Boosted the variance from 5% to 10%.

I also think a penalty should end regardless of which team scores.
had I any pull, I'd have been pushing for this very hard. it makes all of the sense and I have been thinking about it for about two years and I still can't figure out a reason it isn't done like that. in fact, ending penalties only if the penalized team scores makes more sense than the way it is "currently" done.

Someone needs to explain the reasoning for that, because I don't get it.

Team Baddies breaks the rules, possibly denying team Goodies a goal.

Team Baddies gets a penalty.

Team Baddies scores.

Team Baddies is no longer shorthanded.

:/

To me, it would mean that more teams would employ their offensive players on the PK.

An aggressive PK is much more fun to watch than one that continually ices the puck.

Most penalties are horseshit anyway, and the momentum gained from a shorty is huge.

"According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, both sides have told Beckenbaugh they've got some room to move on open issues."

Possibly important. Mediator's job is to find middle ground, this is the first time since mediation's been used that they're actually giving the guy something to work with.