NHL'94 Forums

The Passing Rating

I enjoy a nice solid tape-to-tape pass as much as the next guy, but I've never really been sure what the passing rating actually affects in a player's passing ability in the game. I've noticed that SNES passes seem to hit their mark most of the time (unless intercepted), so accuracy doesn't seem to be too variable between players.

So what does the passing rating affect?

-the velocity of the puck when passed?

-the likelihood of the pass bouncing off the receiving player's stick/skate?

-the likelihood that the pass will pass through defenders unimpeded?

Does the passing rating affect anything else?

I am mostly interested in SNES, but discussion of GENS is also welcome.

For what it's worth...the Genesis Manual (and my comments):

Energy Player's current energy level. (N/A without line changes)

Agility Player's agility on the ice. (how quickly a player stops/turns, deking ability)

Speed Player's top speed on the ice. (should be called "acceleration", as top speeds are actually the same)

Handed Player's best shooting side. (ummm...lefty or righty)

Off. Awareness Player's offensive instinct. (if you say so)

Def. Awareness Player's defensive instinct. (believe people tested this and it was found high def awareness means AI closes in torwards own net more)

Shot Power How hard the player can shoot the puck (yup)

Shot Accuracy Player's skill in shooting the puck (I prefer to think of it as "shot accuracy")

Pass Accuracy Player's accuracy in passing the puck (Interesting, the manual calls it Pass Accuracy, not "Passing". My guess is this is true)

Stick Handling Player's overall skill with the stick (thought to be ability to receive pass and ability to hold on to puck when being ppoke checked)

Weight Player's body weight in pounds (Most important determinant of checking ability/check resistance)

Aggressiveness Player's likelihood of being penalized (did not know that...not sure if it's true)

Checking Player's effectiveness as a checker (for AI, not under player control -- see weight