NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 - 2013 (un)lockout edition

Stefan

In this update I've redone all team jersey colours (Credit to trudatman)

Changed defense control to be default ON

Added water bottles to top of net (With some help from trudatman)

Re-did team banners (Credit to trudatman)

Replaced Ron Barr with Don Cherry (He's a controversial Canadian icon who's sort of gone senile in his years)

Changed arena names

Changed overall ratings

Edited some text for personal preference (Changed aggression to discipline, changed Regular season to exhibition, and some other non necessary stuff)

Edited playoff seedings to reflect that of last years (Will update once playoffs come along this year)

Replaced old teams with current teams, replaced All Star teams with Nashville, and Minnesota

Edited starting menu slightly to reflect stanley cup participants as default teams

Updated rosters on all 28 teams to accurately reflect their overall performance over the last 2 years

Updated lines

Updated team advantages to accurately reflect how each team is performing up to date using a formula to divide the amount of teams by the amount of points per specific advantage, and allocated evenly.

Changed Regular Season overtimes from 5 minutes to 20 minutes (Ties suck)

Changed 20 minute periods to "Highlight mode" which is essentially a 1 second period... If used in playoffs, you can watch computer players "highlights" occasionally. Kind of a silly thing, but me and my buddies like playing drinking games for them. YOU COULD TOO!

I spent approximately 30-40 hours on this, doing all my balancing by completing a team, opening the rom, checking players ratings, and adjusting accordingly to each specific players performance, as well as my own opinion.

I used this website: http://www.forecaste...playerindex.cgi to see player specific "Assets" and "Flaws", as well as up to date stats... and this website http://www.capgeek.c....php?team_id=22 for current rosters

Each player should be fairly accurate to how they are in real life based on that website, and my own opinion... I didn't just randomly choose their ratings for them. The website was comprehensive enough to get a good feel for how they actually play even if I wasn't too familiary with the player.

If there's any ratings that you feel are unfair based on in game comparisons to other players, let me know... I feel I had the hardest time with defense ratings.

Some players might be rated lower because it's hard to be rated high as a defensive first player as there's only a few attributes in the game that are geared towards defense...

If there's any requests for the rom, I'm willing to consider and adjust...

ENJOY!!!

If there are any glaring problems, like lines, or players who should be +5/-5 in rating, please say something.

I feel everything is accurate within +5/-5 rating, and since I don't watch every single team, it's difficult for me to tell.

My player ratings are done via a specific formula. It won't always be accurate since I am ONE MAN. Hope you enjoy.

NHL 13.rar

Edited by Stefan

cool! I'm glad you are keeping up with this. you don't have to keep giving me credit for stuff. if you insist, you should probably list Smoz for his various works, including the defaulted defense control. I'm interested in Minnesota...

This ROM sounds pretty great. I will download and give it a shot when I have the chance.

I have a few quemments:

1. All of the changes sound pretty good, but I am curious if the icons and off-screen pointers will still be in the game? I sure hope they are still there. I know that they were removed in a couple other ROMS..

2. I am also curious about this:

"Changed 20 minute periods to "Highlight mode" which is essentially a 1 second period... If used in playoffs, you can watch computer players "highlights" occasionally. Kind of a silly thing, but me and my buddies like playing drinking games for them. YOU COULD TOO!"

I really don't understand what that means? I'll have to check it out. I do like drinking.

3. I am curious to see if the ratings are aligned with the original NHL 94 ratings. What I mean by that is, I find that people tned to overrate players when they update the rosters. However, in the original NHL 94, there are only a handful of players on each team with high ratings, and the rest are all <60 overall. That's what makes the game so great.

Anyways, thanks for all your work on this!

This ROM sounds pretty great. I will download and give it a shot when I have the chance.

I have a few quemments:

1. All of the changes sound pretty good, but I am curious if the icons and off-screen pointers will still be in the game? I sure hope they are still there. I know that they were removed in a couple other ROMS..

2. I am also curious about this:

"Changed 20 minute periods to "Highlight mode" which is essentially a 1 second period... If used in playoffs, you can watch computer players "highlights" occasionally. Kind of a silly thing, but me and my buddies like playing drinking games for them. YOU COULD TOO!"

I really don't understand what that means? I'll have to check it out. I do like drinking.

3. I am curious to see if the ratings are aligned with the original NHL 94 ratings. What I mean by that is, I find that people tned to overrate players when they update the rosters. However, in the original NHL 94, there are only a handful of players on each team with high ratings, and the rest are all <60 overall. That's what makes the game so great.

Anyways, thanks for all your work on this!

The player indicators are still there.

If you play in the playoffs, between periods there's "highlights" for computer controlled teams.

Essentially since 20 minute periods is far too long for this game, I changed it to 1 second periods so if you go into playoffs with this mode you can watch the highlights.

The ratings are fairly accurate. Check em out yourself. There isn't a plethora of highly rated players, but the rating scale is more tight than NHL 94.

Serious bug: If you choose playoff mode as a team that didn't make the playoffs last season (with the exception of Minnesota, as they're in Phoenix's place), the game freezes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those links are broken. I think it has something to do with the fact that the middle of the URL was replaced with three dots, which means the URLs are literally their shortened forms. It literally says http://www.forecaste...playerindex.cgi/ and http://www.capgeek.c....php/?team_id=22.

Edited by NHL94user

• 3 weeks later...

ever? why?

As greatful as I am for the editor, it's limited. So time consuming to just do one team. I usually spend 30-40 hours per edit, and it's really unenjoyable

If the editor just had an "overall player ranking" in it, it would shave off so much time...

So time consumption + not enjoyable.

Edited by Stefan

how far are you into your update? mine is slowly getting close, but watching a game every other night is really holding progress back. here's to more hacks!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever added blood to the SNES version? Subtle, I know, but I always thought it was cool that someone added it to the gens version...

Thanks for the ROM, will download and test it out...I like that you left the original player indicators...I'm a big fan of original game experience...

huh. no idea. SNES9x doesn't need the checksum to be fixed... sorry I can't test this on my Mac right now. I intend to check it out, though. maybe try ZSNES, wacky as it is.

I don't foresee myself making another update. I want accurate ratings and to achieve this with lack of software available is painfully slow and challenging.

Thanks to everyone who downloaded and enjoyed.

If anyone who ever wants to play me, I consider myself a top tier player and will gladly play online.

Edited by Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

If I ever find the source code to the editor (it's on a dead laptop) I'll add in overall ratings and maybe a way to import/export to a spreadsheet.

YES bud! come back to us!

I, for one, would be very happy if you returned to the active community. an overall ratings calculator would be neat. fixing the team overall calculations would be cool, too. your editor is great. what can I type, say, do to convince you to put in some effort?

• 3 weeks later...

If I ever find the source code to the editor (it's on a dead laptop) I'll add in overall ratings and maybe a way to import/export to a spreadsheet.

I'd work on another rom if there was an overall calculator within the software.